Author Topic: Where Be Dat Earth Subspace Nodes  (Read 7673 times)

Offline Lt. Spanks

• Not A Lieutenant
Where Be Dat Earth Subspace Nodes
I know there is only one.
*Sad music plays*

Where is it location wise in the solar system. As canon as possible

Thanks,
-Spanks
Teacher: "Anything is possible if you put your mind to it!"

Student: "Teacher... there is an exception to this rule."

Teacher: "And what is that student?"

Student: "Catching the Iceni"

Offline Lt. Spanks

• Not A Lieutenant
Re: Where Be Dat Earth Subspace Nodes
And yes there is a typo in the subject :rolleyes:

From the ending cut-scene of FS1, the node is pretty close to Earth's moon. I'd say probably 1/4-1/3 of the Earth-Moon distance outside of the orbit of the moon (i.e., further from the Earth).

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Which is weird since all the other nodes we've seen have been in the middle of nowhere.

Also FS1 map shows 3 nodes
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
We have no idea how nodes relate to the motion of other objects in the system, so saying it's near the Moon may not actually mean anything most of the time; it was near the Moon at that exact moment.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
IIRC some nodes moved around from FS1 to Silent Threat to FS2.

Sol was supposed to have jump nodes to Delta Serpetnis, Beta Aquilae, and Deneb in FS1. Guess the Lucy explosion created some kind of subspace disturbance or whatever that disrupted all 3 nodes.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I don't know if it was actually officially retconned but the other two were generally considered to have never existed outside of FS1 command briefing animations. What I'm talking about is jump nodes in actual missions. I seem to remember two nodes were placed at a close distance in FS1 and beyond visual range in ST or FS2, but I could be wrong.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Volition's official node map shows only one node out of Sol, and :v: declared that it superseded the game. See here for more information.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
I think that best places for all three nodes(which i do consider canon)would be Delta Serpentis-near the Moon
                                                                                                                             Beta Aquilae-middle of nowhere,but closest to Jupiter
                                                                                                                             Deneb-near the Pluton
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Offline Lt. Spanks

• Not A Lieutenant
I know there is only one functioning one, just where is it at.
I think i will end up just placing it somewhere in the far reaches of Sol. I know it might be little bit non canon, but I feel like that is the place to put it.

it's really hard not to answer this with BP fluff because BP Thinks Of Everything and its answers are always really slick
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Sololop

Didn't BP put the node out near Neptune, iirc?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Didn't BP put the node out near Neptune, iirc?
The location of the node after the activation of the Sol gate is irrelevant to the location of the node before the Lucifer's destruction, because the Sol gate changes how the node operates.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Lt. Spanks

• Not A Lieutenant
I sort of remember seeing earth in the cut scene where the Lucifer comes out of subspace and is destroyed, but it wouldn't be that close.
I'm just going to put it in the Kuiper belt, far out of the way, or perhaps near Jupiter

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
In my function as an Advanced FreeSpace Analysis System I have processed all the canonical data I could find about node positions and the best-supported (but not only viable!) hypothesis is that nodes do not obey classical orbital mechanics. Stick it anywhere you want and move it around as you please, because that **** don't orbit, it moves around according to some peculiar subspace logic.

I was thinking about mooting the idea that artificial relocation of subspace nodes is easy enough that the Sol one was just parked above Earth for convenience, but I've quickly decided that the tactical can of worms that opens is too disruptive to the setting.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
In my function as an Advanced FreeSpace Analysis System I have processed all the canonical data I could find about node positions and the best-supported (but not only viable!) hypothesis is that nodes do not obey classical orbital mechanics. Stick it anywhere you want and move it around as you please, because that **** don't orbit, it moves around according to some peculiar subspace logic.

I tend to like that premise because it explains why no one set up permanent defences around nodes. It's pointless trying to set up a defence system if the node is going to end up moving away from it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
The why I have been thinking about it is that nodes are (relatively) fixed in relation to the star.  The problem is that EVERYTHING ELSE is moving.  Planet X isn't going to be near the node all the time, and if you tried blockading the node, you'd have to expend a bunch of propellant to counteract gravitational forces trying to move you away from the node.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Maybe it would be possible to place sentries in  the actual subspace tunnels. Obviously you can't put mjolnirs in there as capships exploding would collapse the node(or maybe you could configure them to only cripple enemy warships without destroying them), but the subach-armed sentries would be pretty good at picking off recon wings going through the node.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded