Author Topic: CRISIS OPERATIONS CENTER  (Read 45224 times)

Offline truth

Re: CRISIS OPERATIONS CENTER
they have a Terminal Contingent Outcomes Matrix that lists each and every person in the world every one of you everyone in your lives from your first kiss to the guy who dropped a jar of red rooster in the checkout line and got it all over your shoes yesterday and there's a code next to your name which tells the military how much to care about your life when the next one happens and they can't get everyone out

the default is called Intrinsic Moral Value and it's the number 1000 but that's just to make it easier to talk about at meetings

Code: [Select]
TCOM vars
;define cosmetic IMV
cosmeticIMV is functionalIMV plus 1000

that's you and your mom and your cat are you okay with that?

We're not trying to suppress anything. We just want you to read it with a critical eye and understand what it was written to achieve.
How exactly does "leak containment" not equal "suppression?"  How does "leak containment" even apply to this information if it is, as you say, "false?"

I'm sorry.  I have, as of this time, committed no actions to help or hinder either side in this game, but you will have to do better than that if you want our support.
Do you present an alternative?  Or merely a smear campaign of unfortunate truths?  What do you hope to achieve here?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 12:51:04 pm by perihelion »
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

wait, my cat has the same evac priority as me? damn straight i'm pissed
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Ha!  You have underestimated the power and influence of our secret feline overlords.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Also, what kind of help do you expect from us? Unless we're working with you or against you we don't have any trust keys, so what can we do?

STRIKE COMPLETE!

2/2 strike relays remained under Truth's control! No one used -attach[] on a strike relay trust key!
The target was the exposed GRANITE HUNTER LTO [Scotty]!

GRANITE HUNTER systems were already compromised by the recent failed strike. Truth has tracked our connection with our LTO, infiltrated sensitive network components, and installed covert monitoring software.

This outcome is extremely disruptive to operations tempo. We are assuming a hardened posture effective immediately, invoking higher authorities, and falling back for tactical regeneration.

We believe that Truth has extracted data we prepared as a performance incentive. This is an acceptable collateral outcome. We will maintain a social presence for the near future until we can retempo our counterintelligence operations.

Also, what kind of help do you expect from us? Unless we're working with you or against you we don't have any trust keys, so what can we do?

Every operative on both sides of this struggle got involved simply by contacting one of the parties involved — or reaching out to each other to pool information via forums and IRC. LTOs and cell handlers change. Trust keys circulate unpredictably.

Performing analysis of fabricated and declassified material is one vital contribution. Translating IRC chatter and speculation into durable forum posts that contribute to the community knowledge footprint is another. Surveillance and behavioral monitoring has provided operatives on both sides with key insights. But the most important resource for GRANITE HUNTER, and for Truth, are trustworthy persons who step up as reliable relays, or work to infiltrate the enemy and -attach[] their relays.

Truth's success so far can be reduced to a single, damning fact: community members stepped up to provide secure relays to Truth's handler, while GRANITE HUNTER's strike operations were disrupted by untrustworthy relays.

In fact, according to our analysis, the decisive element in our recent setbacks was a Truth operative or affiliate who was able to work into GRANITE HUNTER's own pool of trusted agents, receive a trust key vital to GRANITE HUNTER operations, and then sabotage it with an -attach[] command.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
As much as I can understand not trusting either side in this, we've got a choice between a known factor and an unpredictable loony. Granite Hunter might want to keep some information under wraps, but Truth is an unknown party with an unknown endgame, an endgame which might be considerably worse than GH's effort to maintain the status quo. IMO, better to go with the side who'll maintain the status quo, and who's giving us actually-comprehensible information. Unless we rally behind the GTVI and strike back, Truth seems set to win, and what reason do we have to believe that that will be good for us?
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I'm...I'm scared, you all.  I am just a front-line grunt, who knows jack-squat about political goings-on, multiverses, relays, or -attach[] commands.  I just get out there and follow orders from recognized superiors, you know?  I don't want to be involved.  I don't want to be drafted, when I don't even know what is going on from either side.  I was trained to fight, not to think, and that's all I want to do.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
"I could live with being a pawn if the game made sense!"
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam

I just cant remember where I did heard that one...
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth

One of your wingmen, retail mission 3, The Romans Blunder.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam

One of your wingmen, retail mission 3, The Romans Blunder.

OH MY, how could i forget >.>
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline truth

while i'm celebrating the station chief's recent promotion to chief analyst, community waste chemistry inferentials, i'm going to put this back in the light where it belongs

HEADER BEGINS
Are these Groceries Casual?
Yes these Groceries are Casual.
I'm going to give you the bag.
I'm ready for the bag.
HEADER ENDS

RRR 8S8 III R IR AHN NA
CAN I GET A BIG HAND?
000 000 000 001 A A A
WIZARD MAN -> COLDMORN
Let's talk about the RCT group

his long have you know what you done with thought amused perhaps to exist adapt endure in god at the birth of doubt left the cenotaph of sexual reproduction male and strong but she has made of burning stone and sensors

COLDMORN my favorite aunt it's me again. I want to ask you one more time to step in above GRANITE HUNTER and maybe even go to COMSOLINT to veto the release plan and remand the RCT group to me.

They are great PR and everyone loves the Arid/Burrock/Candide show. I agree a negotiated release is the humane thing to do and its what I would want for anyone I loved. But let's check ourselves for scope insensitivity here. (i know here I go again with the Morpheus scope argument but i thik it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to use every single time. stakes stakes stakes)

We are talking about three civilians. Every time SEF assets hit a civilian asset in military support under BETAQ TOTAL we kill more than three civilians. Orders of mag more. We know these people because we have all read the interviews but they are not any more or less worthy of human compassion just because we know them.

The RCT group represents a diverse cross-section of experts who have been repeatedly and persistently exposed to the structural echoes of MORPHEUS events. I know this is not a popular argument but it's one I'm making one lst time.

They worked with complex economic software in their capacity as independent freighter crew. Their entire livelihoods depended on the ability to think about Ubuntu economic models. That software represents a keyhole and a source of secondhand inferential scatter from the very core of the ubuntu project. The economic models we are talking about are not just about money. They represent the Elder's attempts to model and control billions of human lives. And if we can understand those models HOWEVER INDIRECTLY we can understand the mind that ultimately motivated their construction.

Let me lay out my chain as clearly as I can and I know it is the ghost of a ghost but we have to glean everything we can:

[threat two] -> elders -> ubuntu models -> behavioral print left on those who interact with ubuntu models -> neural structures correlated with that print

So here is my plain request and I trust you to take it as an exigent and absolutely amoral ****ed-up thing which may nonetheless offer a fractional chance of improving our odds by one razor slice of a percentile

Move the RCT group off the Arcane, up the pipe to Beta Aq, and host them in Blackbird Village. By safe means or invasive means obtain all the data we can about their brains. Hit them with whatever inferentials we have and use zod bull**** and red assets to bootstrap SOMETHING, ANYTHING about threat two and how they think.

no it's not the same as nagari-modified brain structures. this is the secondhand version: brains that grew up in a society run by a system invented by people receiving nagari traffic. no it's not clean but we pluck vital intelligence from that kind of insane causal chain it's what we DO

morpheus is a tourniquet and we need to get at the heart. it is absolutely unacceptable that we do not have more to offer SecCon. if you do not put some pressure on this matter i have to consider going through CINCSOL

throws back her hackles and mass lifts and the spearman pleading for you made him and language is a mausoleum. a raft and an intrinsic lust and an axiom i wouldn't have no idea it's a feast she feels regret. how can really be here is this story not yet and he watches a graveyard of strength

FOOTER BEGINS
Thanks for the baguette.
I am glad you enjoyed the baguette.
Will we have another?
I will think about it.
FOOTER ENDS

the bulls are in the china shop ladies and gentlemen and we are not leaving until we get our horns back

they have a Terminal Contingent Outcomes Matrix that lists each and every person in the world every one of you everyone in your lives from your first kiss to the guy who dropped a jar of red rooster in the checkout line and got it all over your shoes yesterday and there's a code next to your name which tells the military how much to care about your life when the next one happens and they can't get everyone out

the default is called Intrinsic Moral Value and it's the number 1000 but that's just to make it easier to talk about at meetings

Code: [Select]
TCOM vars
;define cosmetic IMV
cosmeticIMV is functionalIMV plus 1000

Puerile posts like that hurt your credibility truth. How can the GTVA monitor every single person at any given time? Such a task seems impossible and tin-foil-ish.

And yes, GTI's paternalism and lies has been incredibly wrong. But the more I read what other individuals have posted, the more I feel that I can't trust both sides in this conflict because of the truth I now see behind the actions of both sides.

The UEF has every reason for fighting back, but at the same time, GTI has had to make hard decisions that the civilian leadership could never do. I will always feel disgusted in the manner that GTI operated, and that a few men and women met in secret to decide the fate of the rest of us. But I do understand that this was something that our corrupt and populist civilian administration could never do. If anything, the NTF was a rebellion against the top-down control of the GTVA admin and against an ineffectual civilian leadership that had been incompetently dictating what we should do. Yes, the NTF shot itself in its own foot by ignoring BETAC and targeting civilians, but they did have a point that the GTVA should have devolved more local control to the systems under its aegis.

GRANITE HUNTER, if anything you have to understand that the anger directed against you stems from the anger against the GTVA government. We are tired of the high-handedness and the lack of transparency of the GTVA civilian admin, and it has been even more infuriating to receive the same treatment from you.

But understand that our loyalty has always been towards humanity and our government. We just ask that you please be more open with us.

Also, even if Truth's leaked intel is correct, do we really know to what end he is manipulating us towards? We at least know from leaked intel that GRANITE HUNTER is part of an effort to protect humanity.

Offline truth

thanks for getting me in to GRANITE HUNTER but sometimes i

OCAC Candidate
TIA Rapid Exemption Request - Compliance Conditioning Resource
Candidate 616A9814RARQW
NEMESIS NOW Integrated Outcomes Report

Introduction

If you're reading this you are part of the select Upsilon-plus group cleared for NEMESIS NOW. The intelligence community has spent a decade wailing over the explosive complexity of joint analysis on Shivan behavior during the Second Incursion. After ten years of listening to jumped-up experts on the effect of Sirius tax structures in Regulan election outcomes bleating about Vasudan psycholinguistic techniques and suggesting that Shivan behavior might be 'genuinely alien', our task force coalesced out of the collective resentment and irritation of people whose thoughts actually matter.

Wise figures in our leadership structure empowered NEMESIS NOW to traverse the entire alphabet of acronyms, callsigns, stacks, matrices, workflows, and footprints devoted to Shivan analysis. From this journey we return with several transparently exploitative gems of existential horror designed to scare you away and let us get back to work. This is one of them.

Looking Back

Most of you pretend to understand the differences in Shivan behavior between the Great War and the Second Incursion. The core fact you must grasp about the Second Incursion is that Shivan behavior was tactically diffuse, initially much like a set of agents with no global control, but later developed strategic direction. In the opening stages of the encounter, the Shivans reacted sluggishly, executing what we term an 'inflammatory response' to Bosch's incursion. As Allied presence in the nebula escalated, the Shivans began to emit a wide spectrum of behaviors, including a stereotyped recapitulation of Great War strategy that culminated in the GTD Phoenicia's bearbaiting operation and the famous 'High Noon' engagement in Capella. During this strategic epoch, Allied forces fought against a blind algorithm.

We cracked the Shivan behavioral code when we abandoned top-down, teleological analysis and trusted our models to identify patterns. When we extract a pattern from noise, we call it a signal. All Shivan behavior during these opening stages fits within one broad, chaotic signal.

As the Incursion proceeds, we begin to detect a second signal in the Shivan behavioral model. Here and there, strategic elements and tactical assets suddenly depart from the inflammatory response. Yet there is no clear phase transition, as we observed during the Great War after the destruction of the Lucifer. Instead, this signal operates within the inflammatory ladder, redirecting and manipulating elements already in play. For the sake of your limited imaginations we will risk anthropomorphizing and suggest its behavior is almost covert.

Something within the Shivan behavioral system began goal-directed behavior. The result was the detonation of the Capella star. What other outcomes can we attribute to this second signal, this specter in the demon apparatus? We can immediately extract one actionable piece of intelligence: if any of your colleagues or subordinates suggest the action of a 'Shivan queen' or 'hive mind', you can safely have them fired.

By altering the parameters of Shivan behavior across a range of possible (and some contrafactually impossible) states, we can bootstrap models of Shivan cognition. When these models predict Shivan behavior that resembles actual recorded encounters, we gain confidence in the underlying assumptions. In several scenarios, we used Great War behavioral patterns to operate Shivan forces during the Second Incursion. Allied casualties approached or equaled the ceiling value.

In some scenarios, the model of best fit incorporates a third force in play. We can observe this third force only by its interactions with the Shivan behavioral parameters. In many of these models, the Shivan 'second signal' is oriented partly or even wholly in response to the third player.

Beyond a three-player game, diminishing fit returns set in. In this respect our work probably resembles your sex life.

Looking Forward

During Alllied operations against the first Sathanas juggernaut, the 203rd Scorpions attacked a Shivan position in an effort to lure the Sathanas into a trap. The GVCv Sopedu was assigned to provide TAG support, but the ship's commander, a veteran of both flight and warship engagements, experienced an episode of intrusive ideation. The GVCv Thutmose was hastily reassigned to the engagement. At the same time, Allied flight elements recorded unusual emissions from the NTF Iceni and a Shivan corvette, the Rephaim.

Our analysis has detected structural rhymes in emissions detected from Shivan artifacts located in a binary star system, the deepest penetration into Shivan territory of any Allied units during the Second Incursion. One of our (parameter-agnostic, omnivorous, unmanaged) models suggests that these structures represent long-range transmitters for the 'second signal' behavior driver. Interestingly, these devices had on-board self-destruct mechanisms and systems that could be interpreted as camouflage — but against what?

We have had some success using these agnostic models to generate novel and occasionally fantastical hypotheses for Shivan behavior. This agnostic technique seeks to create models that can control all degrees of freedom in Shivan behavior with a minimum number of assumptions. (These same Nenet-Bayes-Kekera techniques are used in many popular social applications to interpolate intentions, character, and personal history from brief exposure, as well as in the most successful Vasudan translation software.)

One successful model indicates that the Shivans pivoted from a posture of strategic defense to a strategy of either intimidation or simple obfuscation: detonating Capella to sever contact with Allied forces. In this model, Shivan presence in the nebula system was an engineering unit, a different class of organism from the Lucifer fleet with different behavioral imperatives. Their only aim was to stop attrition and prevent Allied units from interfering with whatever goals they had.

Yet this model has fallen out of favor. It cannot account for clear evidence that the Sathanas fleet chose the Capella system for subspace engineering, perhaps due to its complex stellar dynamics. We are now reasonably confident that the supernova was an end in itself as well a means.

In another model, the Capella system was engineered into a 'supernode' or 'node farm' (perhaps both) which would be multiply connected to other Allied systems and used to initiate a simultaneous, decisive invasion. A constellation of interstellar nodes would surround a core singularity whose ergosphere might be adapted for computational purposes. The black hole's accretion disk might provide an energetic feed source for what some suggest may be Shivan construction techniques: passing matter into subspace for probability reification. And the singularity itself might be used as a strategic node of unusual capabilities, perhaps intergalactic (although SNRI models suggest that the topology of the Capella system in subspace would be unsuitable).

One major blind spot of these models is Shivan operational tempo. No decisive invasion has materialized. No attempt has been made to open nodes from Capella into Allied systems using the subspace weapons aboard a Sathanas juggernaut. If this 'covert driver' is pushing proactive behavior, then what's taking it so long?

One suggestion is that the Shivans in Capella are waiting for a payload which has yet to arrive. Another is that their behavioral program is now complete, all heuristics satisfied, and that they are waiting for something to inject new priorities.

Looking Down

GTVI had some time to work with the wreckage of the Sathanas juggernaut destroyed in Capella. Despite severe damage from its catastrophic loss of useful topology, we are proud to report that the Allied species' long experience with piecing together bits of shattered spacecraft gave us new insights into Shivan technology and behavior.

Alas, our specific findings are classified beyond your clearance. Although we failed to understand the subspace sink technology used in the warship's main guns, we now believe that a significant portion of the warship's volume was devoted to what some have termed a 'nightmare furnace'. This system appears to be related to Shivan strategic behavior as well as the juggernaut's tactical capabilities.

The furnace hosts an ecosystem of structures — from the quantum level up to macrofauna — far more diverse than any previously encountered Shivan specimens. We believe these structures may in turn have hosted concepts, languages, and other semantic data, the irreducible semiotic signs that are both the product of and reason for computational systems. The system was extremely energetic and dynamic.

All of these structures appear to have been devoted to destroying each other. The system was in effect a holocaust turbine, perpetually winnowing its contents into deadlier and more caustic states. Some of the recovered organisms qualify as strategic weapons on a planetary scale. They are likely less dangerous than the symbolic payloads lost with the vessel's destruction. Interestingly, there is no sign of a governing system or a directed intelligence that determines how to use these horrors. Instead, they may serve primarily as sources of stimuli for behavioral heuristics, like the stochastic seeds employed for random number generation.

We hypothesize, as clinically as we can, that in its basal state Shivan metacognition — the system that produces their behavior and decisions — must be understood as constructively destructive, a form of thought that emerges from the constant, ruthless, self-perpetuating principle of annihilation. Whatever selective pressure, system design, or runaway process created the Shivans predicated their fundamental quiddity on the devastation of organized information in every state from the atom to the genome to the encryption of a secure combat computer to language itself.

Chew on that at your next budget meeting.

wish i didn't learn these things

i am a gtvi agent. i am the alienist who sacrifices his life his principles and his mental integrity to prepare the alliance for what's to come. every day i sit down bravely with my gtm-400 triple norto blonde recaf deionized macchiato and click 'run' on a self-fitting self-improving vertical slice model of data gathered by an omnivore surveillance system that requires no human input except 'wow' and 'keep it up'. help me spout jargon at a community of civilians. i need your help. i am begging for your help

We will preserve truth's graffiti here so you can see the caliber of person you're dealing with.

thanks for getting me in to GRANITE HUNTER but sometimes i
wish i didn't learn these things
While the information you are disclosing is interesting, you are not exactly inspiring a whole lot of confidence.  "Bulls in the china shop?"  This is how you describe yourselves?  This is what you are asking us to ally with?

Let's cut to it, truth.  To quote a local cult classic, "Who are you?  What do you want?"
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Let's cut to it, truth.  To quote a local cult classic, "Who are you?  What do you want?"

This

Offline truth

I am a Federation covert operative trying to incite a civil war by posting messages on a forum. I want the people to rise up against a government upon which their economic, emotional, and physical well-being is entirely dependent, and from which they are isolated by layers of democratically elected system, planetary, and regional governments.

if i were a spy i would be out there grooming the next bei wen jian or thea carey or aken bosch or marcus glaive or alexander mccarthy someone who could do something about anything with spaceships and guns. my motivation is the truth. but it's not going to be my motivation for long do you know why because

look at what they do. look at what they can conjure up about an entire species from their models and data sets. every word i type is going into their inferentials and very soon now the black bird will know precisely who i am down to the whorls of the lining of my little intestine. there is only one way this ends for me: either they destroy my mind or i do, i go in for a full personality adjustment and i become someone else. i am erasing myself so that you can understand what you're part of.

i wrote all this and then i thought it could all be lies anyway couldn't it, there's no way for you to know. all i can do is ask the people who've worked with me to speak up for my character and what i've been through. if they can do it safely.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Ah, I had thought the supernode was more like an intergalactic thing, turning Capella into a nexus with thousands if not billions of gates... that is something to behold. If it proves true.
The awaited payload is very likely Laporte. the GTVA will almost assuredly try to stop it, the Vishnans might throw in all they have. Guess that's where an Armada might come in handy.