Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 587529 times)

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
http://dereksmart3000ad.tumblr.com/post/123125564079/interstellar-citizens

http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/07/interstellar-citizens/

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3chb2q/derek_smart_apparently_wants_to_do_something/

TL;DR: Derek Smart, in a fit of self-righteous anger, is apparently trying to initiate some sort of legal crap against Cloud Imperium over Star Citizen. A move that, given his history with HLP, will likely come as a shock to nobody here.

Get out your popcorn gifs, because dis gon b gud.

EDIT: Update (Derek comments on SomethingAwful)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 08:43:35 pm by Scotty »

Offline Aesaar

Re: Derek Smart might be t aking legal action over Star Citizen
This is the best thing.  There is absolutely no way this can end in a way that won't be hilarious, no matter who wins.

On one hand, we have a has-been with a huge ego who has an overwhelming tendency to make promises he can't deliver on, and on the other, we have Derek Smart, who must be the only person in the industry to have an even bigger ego.  And, to paraphrase a post on SA, both of them have made the exact same number of good games over the past 15 years.

It's amazing.  Star Citizen is a neverending gold mine of fun (just not in the way Christ Roberts intended).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 03:38:54 pm by Aesaar »

Well this should be interesting. I'll get the popcorn.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
sooo Star Citizen has over run, admittedly by spectacular fashion, but I am at a loss as to what legal justification for recourse he is looking for,
- Broken promise? how many games have been delayed?
- Broken promise after money had changed hands? release dates given on Pre-orders anyone
- Exceeding budget? see first point
- Feature Creep? see first point

Basically he is *****ing about things which while emphasized in SC's case are SOP in the industry.

If he wants to do some good, how about all the Crowd funding projects which have gone belly up after delivering nothing, at least SC is pumping out periodic tech demos.

Now one paragraph I found very interesting was
end of http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/07/interstellar-citizens/

So I really do hope and pray that RSI can pull this off, because if someone like me, with all my experience and expertise on this very same subject and who has spent half a lifetime trying can’t do it without sacrificing something (visual fidelity, performance, scope etc) in the process, and they, with all this money and star talent can’t do it either, then it’s safe to say that it simply can’t be done. At least not in our lifetime.

Go Home Derek, your drunk
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
To be fair, he has spent a huge chunk of his life trying to accomplish exactly what Star Citizen is going for, and probably has a better idea than nearly anyone about how incredibly hard it is to pull off.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
To be fair, he has spent a huge chunk of his life trying to accomplish exactly what Star Citizen is going for, and probably has a better idea than nearly anyone about how incredibly hard it is to pull off.

He knows how hard the first 3 or 4 steps are, at least.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

the difference is that Roberts is so far pulling it off, admittedly there is a long way to go before SC can be considered vaguely ready so time will be the witness of if he succeeds, but given the history of the two people I have massively more faith in Roberts abilities as a project leader than I could have in Smart short of releasing a very well polished game.
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Aesaar

the difference is that Roberts is so far pulling it off, admittedly there is a long way to go before SC can be considered vaguely ready so time will be the witness of if he succeeds, but given the history of the two people I have massively more faith in Roberts abilities as a project leader than I could have in Smart short of releasing a very well polished game.
The only think CR is pulling off is feature creep and missing every single deadline he's ever set.  Oh, he's also amazingly good at selling virtual spaceships for hundreds or thousands of dollars. 

If, as that moron Lesnick says, avoiding dates is CIG's goal, they're pulling that off magnificently. 

Making a decent game?  No.  They're not even close.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
like I say in my last post, SC is a long way from being considered complete so time will ultimately show if my faith in Roberts is justified but given past histories, Roberts has a history of successful games, Smart's reputation crashed and burned somewhere in the 90s, who knows, maybe the 2010s will be when we turn on Roberts, I hope not because I respect the hell out of him but just as SC succeeding is a real possibility, so is it crashing and burning a large chunk of the internet world.

Offline Luis Dias

Am I missing something here?  Because apart from the hideously tl dr career story he offers about himself, I see no legal issues anywhere. Just an opinion. One that I even share at general.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
SC succeeding is far more of a long shot than it is a real possibility right now.  As of last ****ing August it had raised $50 million.  Today, it's passed $80 million.  And yet, we have a dogfighting demo, pre-order packages that cost $15 thousand ****ing dollars to unlock the privilege of spending $2,500 on a new ship, and absolutely nothing of the game promised.

There's no way at this point that Star Citizen will be either good or remotely on time, but the former is legally irrelevant and the latter won't be at the stage where you can seriously take action against them for a long while yet.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Aesaar

like I say in my last post, SC is a long way from being considered complete so time will ultimately show if my faith in Roberts is justified but given past histories, Roberts has a history of successful games, Smart's reputation crashed and burned somewhere in the 90s, who knows, maybe the 2010s will be when we turn on Roberts, I hope not because I respect the hell out of him but just as SC succeeding is a real possibility, so is it crashing and burning a large chunk of the internet world.
I wouldn't say CR has a history of good games.  I'd say he has a history of promising the world and delivering mediocrity.  That's what Freelancer was, and I have absolutely no reason to expect he'll do any better here.  Back when the KS first started, I thought maybe he'd learned from his past mistakes, but no, it's getting more and more obvious that he isn't able to control his ambition.  The fact that CIG has missed every single deadline they've ever set is ample evidence of that, as is the fact that what they have delivered still isn't fun to play.  Diaspora, which doesn't have a budget at all, managed to make a more fun newtonian combat sim than CR's $80M dogfight module.

And rather than make the space sim part of their space sim game better, CIG's having trouble making CryEngine, an FPS engine, work as an FPS.  Oh, they're also adding minigames for passenger liner flight attendants.  Wow, way to have your priorities straight, guys.  Wait, hang on, gotta make sure the 3rd person character model blinks at exactly the same time as the 1st person model.  Obviously that's way more important than making dogfighting fun.

At what point does it feel like CIG know what the **** they're doing?  Because I swear we have more competent developers on HLP (actually HLP has more competent developers than a lot of big studios, but you get my point).

And it's not like I'm expecting much from SQ42 either, given how CR's previous story-based outing was Starlancer, which was a horrible, horrible game.  Even the Wing Commander series makes it painfully obvious that CR would much rather be making movies than games.  90% of the (bad) story is in cutscenes, and the mission design is objectively ****awful.

Mission design probably isn't going to be improved in SQ42, because somehow, Foundry 42 is making missions while CIG is still pinning down the base space sim gameplay.  No ****ing clue how that works.

No, none of this is legally actionable, but the fact that Derek Smart of all people has declared war on Star Citizen is funny as hell.  If you can judge a man by the quality of his enemies, this says a great deal about CR and SC as a whole.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 02:16:10 am by Aesaar »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
What's important, is, to simulate everything. For immersion.

Offline Aesaar

I for one won't be happy until SC simulates the way the spacesuit chafes my character's ass and it has a concrete effect on gameplay.

"You can't aim properly because your ass itches.  Press F and move the mouse to scratch your ass."

well that's why they decided to develop from scratch an entire game's worth of mechanics dedicated to moving **** around with your hands

because their plan for making trading less boring is to let you load your cargo manually
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Am I missing something here?  Because apart from the hideously tl dr career story he offers about himself, I see no legal issues anywhere. Just an opinion. One that I even share at general.

Read the reddit thread I linked, especially the comment that screenshots several pages of long-winded text from his Facebook page.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: Derek Smart might be taking legal action over Star Citizen
Aesaar, did Cloud Imperium Games kill your dog or something? I get where you're coming from but your presentation is so hostile (even in the complete lack of opposing parties) I almost feel compelled to disagree with you just for being an ass.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Aesaar

So disagree with me.  But until you come up with better reasoning than "you're an ass", don't expect me to care.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm going to assume that NGTM-1R means that he is going to disagree with you because he is an ass. Not that he was calling you one. The latter isn't acceptable behaviour on here. Certainly not from someone who just got out of the Political Prisoners group on the grounds that they could remain civil.

As for the issue itself, Derek Smart actually does make quite a few well-reasoned points. He is definitely correct that whatever the end product is, it won't be the game the Kickstarter promised. If we are very lucky it might be better but there is a good chance it will be an unplayable mess that will kick the entire space combat genre back into the grave it had been lying in with a stake through its heart.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 02:16:18 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]