Author Topic: Let's talk, HLP!  (Read 83821 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I need to also get BtA on Knossos....
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Idea: you play a campaign and post your thoughts!

With all due respect, I don't think sniping at people like this is in anyone's interest.

I am the Lorax and I speak for the mods. Getting people to play FSO is in everyone's interest here.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Knossos looks dope.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
No: You don't speak for the mods.

Yes: Getting people to play FSO is in everyone's interest.

xeno's right. Please stop sniping at people and inciting ill-will.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I speak for the mods because I actually play the damn things.

Get involved. Play. Talk about what you've played. That'll help more than any amount of posting here.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
You speak for yourself Battuta - remember that.

Any more blatant disregard for forum policy (attacking other members, inciting conflict) will result in warnings and moderation action. People, including myself, are tired of you acting like you're better than everyone else. Be a decent human being and respect others.

This is a thread for bettering HLP, not steamrolling everyone you disagree with.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Lol, 'moderation action'. I speak for the people who make stuff here. We get our work done on IRC, SVN, private forums, whatever. We're used to being randomly banned or monkeyed because Being Mean On A Forum is more important than actually making mods. It doesn't matter.

You are here to serve a community as a moderator. For some reason being asked to do this makes you feel like you're being attacked. Being told that you should play a game makes you feel like you're being told you're inferior. You need to get over this.

Let me be even clearer!

What incites the most ill will among HLP's modders is being adminned and moderated and 'helped' by people who don't seem to care or even want to be involved.

The E rules cause he works on SCP. Axem rules cause he's the world's best fredder. Kara's busy but still tries to push ahead on Diaspora. Goob does stuff like the installer. Zacam runs SVNs, so does Rev. BW makes tons of models.

Get back in the game.

If you think it's indecent or disrespectful to be asked to earn the leadership position you've been given, you can get mad about it! But I ask you instead to better HLP.

Is it steamrolling those I disagree when I tell you to play FS? Awesome. I hope I'm steamrolling you into playing some great mods.

You are not Joe Player. You're a global moderator. You need to show the flag.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The simplest I can make it:

Why does being asked to play FSO and post about it make you feel like you're being personally attacked?

What else are we here for?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Are you - and I mean this for all of HLP - here to help people make and enjoy mods, or to...I don't know, collect badges and win arguments?

Play a damn mod!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I agree with Battuta on this. Play mods, comment on them.
I honestly never understood why we've got 'HLP staff' that refuses to actually be involved with the primary thing HLP is about. It just sets a bad example imo, fostering this continued atmosphere that its okay for HLP 'figureheads' to be uncaring.

Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Nonetheless, a proposal about HLP presence on social media should not be met with criticism over how many mods the proposer has played.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Nonetheless, a proposal about HLP presence on social media should not be met with criticism over how many mods the proposer has played.

A pattern of 'helpful ideas' without taking the time to play the game and post a post should be met with criticism. Yes; real life gets in the way. Money's tight. Life sucks. But at some point it becomes clear you're not even trying.

Again, this is not a critique I'd level at Joe Player. But if you're going to talk about FSO, then walk the FSO.

If you want to punish me for saying "please play FSO", that's cool. It's happened before, it'll happen again. Still worth saying.

But like Spoon says, this is what we've been complaining about in dev circles for years. Mods and admins show up to make decisions about stuff they've never paid any attention to until they got a report email. Mods and admins don't care about cool work, they care about hurt feelings in a site feedback thread. And when it's time to Talk About HLP, people will talk and talk -

But they won't open the damn game and play BtA!

I want to be crucified on two huge molybdenum beams tile mapped with the words PLAY A MOD.

Knossos looks dope af, will be testing that out tonight.

Battuta out for now

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Wait Battuta not out!

Imagine if every post in this thread were matched by one post about FS.

I challenge you all to meet this goal. Before your next post here, play a mod and post just once. Or watch a trailer. Or view a p3d.

Myself included!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
This thread has almost 300 replies
That is more than BtA and JAD's discussion threads combined.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
This whole thing dips into a "no true Scotsman" argument, where the badge of how many mods you've played is held above your head constantly. If you haven't played then you're not good enough to comment on forum matters? That's the gist.

HLP is about modding Freespace, but it's also a community. I don't play a 20 year old game, but I do peruse HLP's gaming, GD, art, etc. forums. I also look at the art.

But the way you keep phrasing it Battuta, the only way anyone's opinion matters on HLP is if they actually play the game. I played BtA...and then stopped because Freespace kept crashing. But hey, I played it - so by your own metric, you should listen to what I have to say.

You're leading people on a red herring by playing the victim - I'm not bringing this up because you're saying people should play FSO. If that's all you said, well...I doubt you would post so many times in a row at least. I'm bringing it up because there's already a moderator report for one of your posts, with supporting evidence of your mean-spirited ways in other threads as well. You've got an ego, man, and it makes you treat people in a really ****ty way. Check it at the door and remember that you're part of a larger community.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I will say that Battuta has my full backing in this. We cannot be advocates for this site and its games if we don't play them. HLP is at its strongest when it does cool things or talks about cool things or gets hyped about whatever comes out of Spoon's brain next, not when we're Talking About Serious Political Things or Serious Forum Politics.

So yes. Be involved. Don't be random moderator guy swooping in to wag your finger.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

HLP is about modding Freespace, but it's also a community. I don't play a 20 year old game, but I do peruse HLP's gaming, GD, art, etc. forums. I also look at the art.

Is HLP about Bringing Modders Together, or is it about Bringing People Who Were Modders 12 Years Ago Together?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
So if you're not a modder you should leave - is that what you're saying Phantom Hoover? :)

When I got bored of Bionicle, I left the Bionicle forums and moved on to other things. I didn't hang around their boards to ****post about politics and forum drama. 12-year-old me did a lot of stupid **** but I think he had the right idea there.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
You didn't answer my question. If you believe HLP should only be for modders, fine - then that cuts out anyone who just plays the game. If you believe that it should only be for modders and players, then fine - that cuts out everyone who's just here for the community/art/etc. But what do you believe?