Author Topic: [WIP] The Aftermath II: The Blue Guardian  (Read 70139 times)

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Re: [WIP] The Aftermath II: The Blue Guardian
My thanks to all... I am still recovering.

I am leaning to the idea of "Fleet Manuevering" mission. Not in the RTS style but realistically while in your capital ship. A year ago, I have completed the pilotable Erebus and Chimera, complete with the HUD. And a test mission where you command you fleet. I have 4 maneuvers at this time; flanking, straight attack, left and right attack. This where I need more ideas. The options will be in the HUD. I did this in the Reboot. As there are only 4 possible buttons, pads 1 to 4, it will be daunting to do this in the mission code itself, it is doable but tedious. If you edit the "steath" mission in the Reboot, you will see the almost 100 lines of code to just incorporate the "proximity" and "enemy detection" element. If only someone will give a script template for the fleet command. I can't do scripting but I am talented in deciphering and modifying scripts.

I also have ideas for artllery strike missions (tag and target), gate defense mission (piloting and commanding sentry cannons), and "beat the clock" missions. I had those ideas figured out a year ago before my unfortunate spell. Now, how to apply it with the story is the main task.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I am also thinking of scanning a ship that is in motion at high velocities. SPOILER: there will be enemy capships with fighter craft speeds and maneuverability.

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
I am also thinking of scanning a ship that is in motion at high velocities. SPOILER: there will be enemy capships with fighter craft speeds and maneuverability.

If you do this and the ship you must scan is small enough, it may be literally unpossible.

Scratch that I know it's literally unpossible, I have a hard enough time scanning stationary ships!

My thanks to all... I am still recovering.

I am leaning to the idea of "Fleet Manuevering" mission. Not in the RTS style but realistically while in your capital ship. A year ago, I have completed the pilotable Erebus and Chimera, complete with the HUD. And a test mission where you command you fleet. I have 4 maneuvers at this time; flanking, straight attack, left and right attack. This where I need more ideas. The options will be in the HUD. I did this in the Reboot. As there are only 4 possible buttons, pads 1 to 4, it will be daunting to do this in the mission code itself, it is doable but tedious. If you edit the "steath" mission in the Reboot, you will see the almost 100 lines of code to just incorporate the "proximity" and "enemy detection" element. If only someone will give a script template for the fleet command. I can't do scripting but I am talented in deciphering and modifying scripts.

I also have ideas for artllery strike missions (tag and target), gate defense mission (piloting and commanding sentry cannons), and "beat the clock" missions. I had those ideas figured out a year ago before my unfortunate spell. Now, how to apply it with the story is the main task.

If your ship doesn't have shields you can use the shield keys (arrow keys and Q) for special abilities. If your ship doesn't have countermeasures you can use the countermeasure key (X) for a special ability. I only ask that for your capship command missions you please give the ship weapons for the player to fire, it's much more fun than watching the AI shoot.
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
To JSR:

Now, why didn't think about that. That will give me 9 options in total. Thanks. 

About scanning. It will be a capship going at high velocities.

And about the capship command. Oh defintely we'll have weapons. It will be the same as the Reboot with added interface for fleet commands.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:28:59 pm by herkie423 »

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
I will be using the new FSO 380. I have played the Reboot again with it and so far no problems. Maybe because I designed the mod to be completely independent of the MediaVPs. And AI reaction is quicker this time, that's great. Except for the "show ship" flag. You can no longer see the Avenger (your piloted capship) in the first person view. Does anyone have this problem?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 12:05:16 am by herkie423 »

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
I will be using the new FSO 380. I have played the Reboot again with it and so far no problems. Maybe because I designed the mod to be completely independent of the MediaVPs. And AI reaction is quicker this time, that's great. Except for the "show ship" flag. You can no longer see the Avenger (your piloted capship) in the first person view. Does anyone have this problem?

The "Show Ship" flag is not functional in FSO 380. You must use a nightly build from June 2018 or more recent.
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Ok thanks.

just to know. does this act is the last one?

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Actually, does FSO allow for custom scan times?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Yes
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!

You can set in the Ship.tbl, every ship on the table has that parameter.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
As of recently you can also set scan distances

/shameless plug :D
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
That should be very useful with scanning targets moving at high speed, especially when there is only a brief window of time to actually scan the target before it goes too far away to chase it down. You could even make the scan time dependant on difficulty level.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
That should be very useful with scanning targets moving at high speed, especially when there is only a brief window of time to actually scan the target before it goes too far away to chase it down. You could even make the scan time dependant on difficulty level.

Yeah, I was thinking of that problem. However, I may had solve this before in the Reboot. I remember placing an SEXP for the Lamia. I will check. But if it is  implemented on the table then so much the better.

EDIT: Unfortunately, I decided to still use the FSO 374 in making this sequel. So the scan range is still the default. But I don't see that as
a problem. And it is an added pressure for the player to keep up. I will test it, of course.

And I will work in updating the whole mod for FSO 382 after I release the sequel. And it will be pretty soon.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 09:39:08 pm by herkie423 »

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!

This sequel, you mean. Maybe. The sequel is intended to reveal some mysteries in the Reboot and the presence of the Blue Guardian that appeared in the last couple of missions in the Reboot and Richter was always mentioning in his logs.

Offline CT27

If you're asking will there be a "The Aftermath III" someday...probably not. 

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Just a little info:

Except for the asset models which I also modified and the creators were credited, there were only 2 staff members in the Reboot, Cyborg17, who did the fixes and asset testing, and me, who did practically everything else

In this sequel, I have a co-writer (well most it will be his idea), CT27 and... me who will be doing everything else.

Forgive me for my pride. :) :) :) I can't help it... :)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
As of recently you can also set scan distances

/shameless plug :D
I approve of this plug.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!

If you're asking will there be a "The Aftermath III" someday...probably not.

I'm with CT, probably not.

Offline herkie423

• Plunge into the chaos!
Hurray! I got the Romulan Warbird! Downloaded it and editing it now. It is good model, fairly detailed. I like it. Thank you Kazan and many thanks to Ple!