Author Topic: RELEASE: Walls Closing  (Read 16368 times)

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
RELEASE: Walls Closing
Hello HLP! So after a month of work and some long nights, I can finally do what I've wanted to do: To give back to you something for the countless hours I've had with what's offered here!

Now, it's not much; a 4 mission campaign set during and after the battle between the Colossus and the Sathanas, where the GTVA search for the Phoenicia after it narrowly escaped the juggernaut in Bearbaiting, but we all gotta start somewhere. I focused more making something that was playable and bug-free, rather then super-cool scripting and the sort.

It's available on Knossos (at least from what I see) as of this announcement. I look forward to hearing what you like, dislike or think needs improving, so I can apply these lessons to future projects. Also thank you PIe and ngld for the last-minute help with uploading this to Knossos.

This announcement is pretty barebones, so have a video.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:25:42 pm by Colt »

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Re: RELEASE: Walls Closing
Congratulations on the release.
To embed a YT video, put the id between the tags like so:
Code: [Select]
[yt]2gUvPcIIDQc[/yt]
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Congratulations on the release.
To embed a YT video, put the id between the tags like so:
[yt]2gUvPcIIDQc[/yt]
Fixed. Thanks again!

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
This looks solid. I will check it out in my spare time.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline AdDur

OK - finished. Simple mini-campaign, but i don't regret time i have spent in Walls Closing. Difficulty is fine to me (3/5), but the second mission can be a true pain in the ass - nahemas jump in a short distance, and one volley of bombs is enough to cripple AA screen of defended warship. I have not seen any obvious bugs. In last mission, i think that there could be few more fighters during last phase - i mean that there could apper another wing or two, after you destroy the first one - i felt a bit of emptiness there.

Is it your first campaign?

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
OK - finished. Simple mini-campaign, but i don't regret time i have spent in Walls Closing. Difficulty is fine to me (3/5), but the second mission can be a true pain in the ass - nahemas jump in a short distance, and one volley of bombs is enough to cripple AA screen of defended warship. I have not seen any obvious bugs. In last mission, i think that there could be few more fighters during last phase - i mean that there could apper another wing or two, after you destroy the first one - i felt a bit of emptiness there.

Is it your first campaign?

Indeed it is my first campaign. I'll play around with the Nahema part a bit, because when I was testing it they would either be too close and do as you mentioned all the time or too far and not land a single hit. The last part of the final mission I found the one dragon wing to give enough trouble (given the Shivans limited numbers by this point), but maybe increasing the wave size to six would be good. I'm thinking of weakening Zeta wing as well, since their bonus goal I found way too easy.

Thanks for playing!

Offline CKid

Just finished. A nice litte campaign stuffed with action. Played on medium difficulty and the challenge was good. Keeping my wing-men on a short leash and kept feeding them orders provided me a very helpfully hand in completing the bonus objectives. Keeping close to friendly capships helped even out the odds against superior numbers of shivan craft. Who doesn't love blue beams piercing your enemies. Each mission could be described as "intense" as you had to keep on your toes chasing down bombs and dealing with fighter sweeps. The large fur ball at the end was the cherry on the top. I didn't come across any bugs in my play-through. Great first campaign, very enjoyable.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 09:15:37 pm by CKid »
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
UPDATE: 1.0.1

Assuming I did it correctly, then version 1.0.1 should be up on Knossos. A handful of small balance fixes but not too much.

Just finished. A nice litte campaign stuffed with action. Played on medium difficulty and the challenge was good. Keeping my wing-men on a short leash and kept feeding them orders provided me a very helpfully hand in completing the bonus objectives. Keeping close to friendly capships helped even out the odds against superior numbers of shivan craft. Who doesn't love blue beams piercing your enemies. Each mission could be described as "intense" as you had to keep on your toes chasing down bombs and dealing with fighter sweeps. The large fur ball at the end was the cherry on the top. I didn't come across any bugs in my play-through. Great first campaign, very enjoyable.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Offline CT27

It was a fun campaign.

Can I make one suggestion for the third mission:  Since the Moloch present at the beginning of the mission needs to leave for your allied corvette to come in, could you make it so its hull and engines can't be destroyed.  After destroying the two Cains I managed to disable and destroy that Moloch, but that breaks the mission.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Huh. I thought I fixed that in the previous update, but I didn't save it from the looks of it.  Thanks for the heads up. Fix has been updated.

ive tryed toplay no weapons
heres log
https://fsnebula.org/log/5c7669b4cb0d3350a67569c2

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
ive tryed toplay no weapons
heres log
https://fsnebula.org/log/5c7669b4cb0d3350a67569c2

:confused: Strange. I was thinking maybe I forgot the add the initial weapons when I uploaded the recent version, but I see them. I'm not too familiar with coding, so nothing stood out for me. Maybe uninstall/reinstall the mod?

3 things so far:

1- I can confirm woutersmits- no weapons in the first mission. The mission is configured correctly; the problem lies in the lack of weapons in the .fc2:
+Starting Weapons: ()
2- I'm receiving extraction errors (i.e. broken archives) on all 3 Knossos links (I'm installing manual, only use the links to get the most recent version). This doesn't seem to effect the main mod files, the only ones that have been corrupted are the ones in voice/special folder.

3- As awesome as they are, is it necessary to include MJNs high-res CBAnims again? AFAIK they're already part of the regular MVPs and they increase the size of the mod from ~35MB to almost 240MBs.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
3 things so far:

1- I can confirm woutersmits- no weapons in the first mission. The mission is configured correctly; the problem lies in the lack of weapons in the .fc2:
+Starting Weapons: ()
2- I'm receiving extraction errors (i.e. broken archives) on all 3 Knossos links (I'm installing manual, only use the links to get the most recent version). This doesn't seem to effect the main mod files, the only ones that have been corrupted are the ones in voice/special folder.

3- As awesome as they are, is it necessary to include MJNs high-res CBAnims again? AFAIK they're already part of the regular MVPs and they increase the size of the mod from ~35MB to almost 240MBs.

Thanks for the heads-up about these.

1: I started a new campaign, and yet all authorized weaponry at the start were available. I'll try to remake the .fc2 again and double check the starting weapons/ships, hopefully that fixes it.

2: No idea why that happened.

3: I was under the impression that all CBAnims were the same, so I extracted them from the first place I found them (3.8.0 I think). I'll see what I can do to reduce the filesize, as long as the smaller-sized ones aren't too downgraded.

1- Just edit the file with notepad.

3- MVP dublicates can be deleted unless you edited them.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
1- Just edit the file with notepad.

...Oh. That makes things a lot easier  :lol:

Will upload 1.0.3 tonight.

Also, just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, if I were to remove the CBAnims folder from the mod and keep the filename in the command briefing (example 2_cb_sm1-01_a.png), then the game will search the mediavps and use those instead?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 02:06:08 pm by Colt »

Also, just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, if I were to remove the CBAnims folder from the mod and keep the filename in the command briefing (example 2_cb_sm1-01_a.png), then the game will search the mediavps and use those instead?

Yep. Atleast I don't know a single reason why it shouldn't work. The filenames are also identical to the retail ones, if someone wouldn't have them installed, the game would use the retail ones - probably you should rename them in the mission to "$Ani Filename: 2_cb_sm1-01_a" without the extension (the game will find the correct file).

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Mod's updated! Weapons should appear now (I hope) and the mod just came back from the gym after shaving off some excess CBAnims.  Older versions 1.0 and 1.0.1 have been deleted as well.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 04:16:09 pm by Colt »

Fine fine. :nod:

So, I completed this neat little thing. Pretty good stuff - writing, FREDing and balancing were very good, I'd certainly recommend it. The only mission I felt that was a bit generic was mission 2. While the story part - put out bouys - was good, the mission didn't had much more than waves of enemy craft pouring at you, it could be shortened a bit or receive a new twist. Besides that, it's a pretty fine thing. Other people have come up with infinite worse ideas despite being here for, like, 1000 times longer. :)

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Fine fine. :nod:

So, I completed this neat little thing. Pretty good stuff - writing, FREDing and balancing were very good, I'd certainly recommend it. The only mission I felt that was a bit generic was mission 2. While the story part - put out bouys - was good, the mission didn't had much more than waves of enemy craft pouring at you, it could be shortened a bit or receive a new twist. Besides that, it's a pretty fine thing. Other people have come up with infinite worse ideas despite being here for, like, 1000 times longer. :)

Yeah I wanted a somewhat calm(ish) and straight-forward mission before the chaos of the next one, but knocking off a couple of minutes wouldn't have been a bad call.

Enjoyed all the feedback so far. Its certainly helped with my current project  :)