Author Topic: Vasudan takeover - a theory  (Read 7766 times)

Offline darkdaej

• Wingmen: Useless buggers
Re: Vasudan takeover - a theory
So I kinda have to make it a conspiracy :)

No you don't. :p (Depending on how much you want to put into this). For the same reason you could ask: why is the economy in southern Europe running that bad, with many unemployed people while it is still working comparable good in nothern Europe? You can say that there's some backdoor conspiracy behind a bunch of criminal elites, but the truth is much more complex.
Of course - I don't want to blame EVERYTHING on the conspiracy - but conspiracy there is nonetheless :P 

Offline darkdaej

BTW what would the Vasudan position to opening the Sol node be? That seems kinda inevitable, but it would doom all there fine planings.

I'd say the general public would encourage reunification with Earth if only because they wish they could reunite with their own homeworld.  Of course you'd have some who are bitter and oppose the plan out of jealousy.

As for the government...To be sure Khonsu, in this conspiracy scenario, would like to delay this reunification as long as possible, but he knows it would be inevitable.

So I kinda have to make it a conspiracy :)

No you don't. :p (Depending on how much you want to put into this). For the same reason you could ask: why is the economy in southern Europe running that bad, with many unemployed people while it is still working comparable good in nothern Europe? You can say that there's some backdoor conspiracy behind a bunch of criminal elites, but the truth is much more complex.
Of course - I don't want to blame EVERYTHING on the conspiracy - but conspiracy there is nonetheless :P 

If you say so :cool:

BTW what would the Vasudan position to opening the Sol node be? That seems kinda inevitable, but it would doom all there fine planings.

I'd say the general public would encourage reunification with Earth if only because they wish they could reunite with their own homeworld.  Of course you'd have some who are bitter and oppose the plan out of jealousy.

As for the government...To be sure Khonsu, in this conspiracy scenario, would like to delay this reunification as long as possible, but he knows it would be inevitable.

I had some similar ideas in mind... :drevil:

In case of a Vasudan takeover, a BP'esque "we pretend to be friendly" invasion plan would make sense though.

Offline darkdaej

And as for the EU...Well I would say the conspiracy isn't how the southern countries are worse off than the northern ones. 

I'd say it's the erosion of national boundaries leading to the creation of a Super-State ruled by unelected bureaucrats. Oh, wait...That's actually happening right now...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 05:54:44 pm by darkdaej »

One way or another - good luck with your project! Do you want to make this a campaign or fiction-only?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Of course we can't explain why Shivan weapons are so weak given they're canonically "too much".  That's just a way to keep the player from ragequitting on Easy difficulty :)

Sure we can!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I think it’s an awesome idea. I haven’t really seen this explored before.

... it could use a few more acting characters and a lot less hypercompetence and/or hyperagency, no?

It’s an idea.

Offline darkdaej

Well, I have delusions of grandeur so I was picturing a three-part campaign with 20 missions each or something, with one being in the Post FS1 era, the second occuring during the main campaign of FS2 and the third being some years later.

Thing is, that's just a pipe dream because I suck at using FRED (I never figured out the simplest SEXP's).   :banghead:

So I guess I'll have to write a fanfic or something, lol

Well I read it and give lots of unconstructive crticism then ;) (I tend to be harsher with fanfics than with campaigns) :p

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I don't think so. Though I'm not 100% sure what you mean with "hyperagency" but as far as I can see that it's just economic and political rules at work. The same way you could describe the Euro-crysis as a conspiracy theory when it's just politcians playing their riffs on economic rules.

"Hyperagency" is when a character is able to affect every relevant element of a narrative, either themselves or by proxy; "hypercompetence" by contrast is when a character is always successful in their actions and/or always able to dicern an optimal course of action.

Both pose significant problems in storytelling as they negate sources of tension.

Thanks for the explination. :) I don't think that it is the case here - unless one believes that Khonsu was the sole mastermind behind that. As far as it is depicted here the Vasudans gained more and more influence over the Terrans at the timeframe of several decades, and with increasing power new opportunities arrive that they can exploit and so forth.

Well, than let me introduce you to a third concept I was hoping not bring up because it way more complicated: "Hyperintentionality" (which is according to Wikipedia's english lexicon not a word in the english language)

"Hyperintentionality" in effect (skipping all the theory involved because it's a lot) occurs in a story when the story only contains events that are the characters in the story intend to happen, or happen because as result of multiple characters' intentions interacting. Such a story would contain nothing that exists because of random occurence, unpredictability/chaos or error.

"Hyperintentionality" often occurs because of the presence of characters with hyperagency and/or hypercompetence. And unlike those two it is next to no uses in dramatic storytelling - it basically the easiest way to transfer a story into a clockwork.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 07:11:17 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
So I guess I'll have to write a fanfic or something, lol
I'd read that  :nod:

Good storytelling is such a complex thing :o

Offline darkdaej

Good storytelling is such a complex thing :o

Tell me about it...  I've been trying to write a proper sci-fi book for years now without much success. 

But a multi-chapter fan "novel" based in the FS Universe - I'm game to try :)

you never know maybe someone'll make it into a campaign...

lol I was told that I could use my ideas for FS campaigns to make actual books from them if I could get rid of the FS part in them. :lol:

Offline darkdaej

lol I was told that I could use my ideas for FS campaigns to make actual books from them if I could get rid of the FS part in them. :lol:

Well I had one that retained one fundamental element from FS - Jump nodes.  The fundamental principle was different enough but practically...same thing.  But then again this type of space travel isn't limited to FS.  Sins of a Solar Empire uses "Phase Lanes" to travel between planets and stars...Might not be jumping inside some portal to a sub-dimention, but essentially it's the same kind of thing - a bottleneck between sections of space :P

Makes tactical situations so much easier to manage :D

Rest of the story was entirely different though.  An alien encounter was planned, but as the big bombshell to set up a sequel at the end, :nervous:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Ideas aren't the obstacle to turning your FS stories into published work. It's usually prose quality.

"Hyperintentionality" in effect (skipping all the theory involved because it's a lot) occurs in a story when the story only contains events that are the characters in the story intend to happen, or happen because as result of multiple characters' intentions interacting. Such a story would contain nothing that exists because of random occurence, unpredictability/chaos or error.

"Hyperintentionality" often occurs because of the presence of characters with hyperagency and/or hypercompetence. And unlike those two it is next to no uses in dramatic storytelling - it basically the easiest way to transfer a story into a clockwork.

This sounds like a perfectly valid and awesome way to tell stories.

Jump nodes are actually pretty common; the basic toolset usually remains the same as the options are limited - no FTL, jump nodes, jump gates, free FTL roaming, a mix of that...

Offline darkdaej

So basically, episodes 1-6 of Star Wars (except for the final 20 minutes) are completely Hyperintentional.  Nothing happened in those six movies that Palpatine hadn't planned for :P

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

This sounds like a perfectly valid and awesome way to tell stories.

I knew you would like it.

But then again all it shows that we learned from very different traditions.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."