Author Topic: TBP 3.6.0 released on Knossos!  (Read 29249 times)

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Re: TBP 3.6.0 released on Knossos!
I'm uploading v3.6.1 with a fix for the Aurora Mk1 and the freighters.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline wesp5

I'm uploading v3.6.1 with a fix for the Aurora Mk1 and the freighters.

Thanks! Can you also look into the 3D shockwaves problem please?

Was the Sigma Walkers ship ever included in TBP? I can't find it in the files.

Didn't somebody made some HQ interface art a couple years back too?

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
IIRC nope to both questions.

Someone showed some WIP shots of a Sigma Walkers ship long time ago, but I think it was never released.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

I've got a complete set of models for the First Ones (including the Walker ship) that I once downloaded from Celestia Addons or something. Later on I realized that they were all the same models used in TBP (as far as I looked at it - identical textures etc), except for that one. If somebody wants to take a look at it and the interface I can throw them on MediaFire.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
The Walker Ship had some issues with making it work completely as far as I recall - something about limitation on rotating subobjects in FS_Open (the glowing orbs that are part of the ships distinct appearance), which may or may not be current - and as result could not be finished.

"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

I think that should be possible in FSO though.

Offline wesp5

So is anybody here able to finish the Sigma Walker ship? And on a related note, is there actually a mission where all the First Ones ships appear? I know about the Vorlon and Shadow mini campaigns, as I fixed them myself for Knossos, but I can't remember ever seeing the others...

Offline 0rph3u5

The First Ones are difficult to integrate into any scenario - on account how powerful they are supposed to be
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

So is anybody here able to finish the Sigma Walker ship? And on a related note, is there actually a mission where all the First Ones ships appear? I know about the Vorlon and Shadow mini campaigns, as I fixed them myself for Knossos, but I can't remember ever seeing the others...
AFAIK, it is completed and only needs to be converted to POF. Don't know regarding debris and LODs though as it wasn't made for ingame use.

The First Ones are difficult to integrate into any scenario - on account how powerful they are supposed to be

There weapons are probably as powerful as those of the Vorlons and Shadows, atleast that's what I would presume.

Offline wesp5

There weapons are probably as powerful as those of the Vorlons and Shadows, atleast that's what I would presume.

It would have been cool if Mag would have made a Coriana 6 mission for his Star Fury Pilot pack! But then I just looked at the First Ones ships in the technical section and they all look rather bad compared to other TBP models and quite different from how they looked in the show. They all need a makeover, besides the missing Walker ship...

OK, having looked at all of them (and loading the 3ds files into TS) I realized that there's massive room for improvement on that part. My guess is that these ships were simply too high poly back then - the Sigma Walker ship has 127k polies, the Krishiac ship 70k (currently 3k), the Triad vessel 54k instead of 9k and some Shadow heavy fighter with 12k instead of 2k. Now they'd be just fine if somebody converted them.
I put that stuff on MediaFire later so tha others can take a look at them.

Offline 0rph3u5

It's not about the numbers on the page, each time a First Ones' ship appears in the show it is presented as a force majeure - which is why having them on the field is such a challange; they best serve as background objects that way (much like the Vorlon Planet Killer or the Drakh Mothership)

==================

Still, from the show themselves it's hard to estimate the strength of these ships actually. They blow up the VPK in a single combined strike, yet they don't appear OP besides that. Perhaps their arms are solely made to kill only real big things.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I was just looking through the VP files associated with the Zathrus 2.8 package, and I found a couple of Aurora models that appear to be be based on the high-poly model, but reskinned for the PSI Aurora, and another that's listed as the "Line" Aurora, which I assume to be the MK1.  The models in the 3.6 release are 1986 KB for the base model, and 683 KB for the PSI and MK1, while in the Zathrus package, there are said models at 2135 KB.  I compared the standard issue models from both packages, and despite the 150 KB difference, they appear to be the same model.  The Zathrus package also has models for Ivanova, Sinclair, and Sheridan, which I assume are simple reskins, and since you're not gonna have more than one each in a mission, a simple texture replacement in FRED would accomplish the same thing.  In regards to the PSI and MK1 (Line?) models, if they are better than those in the 3.6 release, you may want to swap them out.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

I would also like to point out that the Star Fury did have maneuvering thrusters (I looked it up on the Wiki) which are possible with the FS engine.  They could be added by changing the ship file  and assigning the binds.

It's more of a table job to add maneuvering thrusters, but yes it's possible.

Yes.... I added them to one of the ships in FS2 in the past.  It really added to the game