Author Topic: SD Demon  (Read 33613 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I feel that the Lucifer could use another face-lift, along with an internal fighterbay for you to fly into with your captured Dragon.  :D
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
One thing at a time, people

Also the Demon is a special case ... its a ship with so much untapped potential, compared to other ships mentioned here - that I've been trying to turn it into a working missile destroyer (with and without the use of local ssm) is just the tip of possibilities IMO
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Compared to other Shivan ships, the Demon looks just so... heavy, tough, armored... fat. :P
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
the Demon looks just so... heavy, tough, armored... fat. :P
glares in Demon

Offline 0rph3u5

Compared to other Shivan ships, the Demon looks just so... heavy, tough, armored...

Exactly.

... also the "claws" and the "arch" make for some pretty good antenae for some plot equipment, no?

(I actually been tempted to use a Demon's arch as a portal multiple times over the years - just never pulled the trigger on that one)

fat. :P

You didn't just body-shame a warships, did you? :P
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline Luis Dias

idk what people are talking about there being a fighterbay in the model, all i can find is a very useful zero-g swimming pool.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
A figterbay swimming pool created by a mad man requires someone to land in it that's also a mad man. :P

@0rph3u5: That I did. I'd say that it actually fits the ship, but if you insist, I can repent for my sins by protecting Tempest-chan in Trimurti.  :D
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Also the Demon is a special case ... its a ship with so much untapped potential, compared to other ships mentioned here - that I've been trying to turn it into a working missile destroyer (with and without the use of local ssm) is just the tip of possibilities IMO
Same here, buddy. It's also pretty much the only FS1-era ship of that size that can be tweaked into having decent anti-fighter defenses, thanks to its turret placements.

It feels much like a classic FS1 destroyer where its strength depended upon carrying as many fighters and bombers in a heavy armor, not the biggest beam ever.

I'm not sure if you're wanting artistic advice, but I'm going to say this anyway because I was thinking about this a while back so I have some ideas.

Standard caveats apply: your model, you can do what you want with it, just providing input.

Okay, so. The point of this is to increase the model's fidelity, but if you just take the same overall shape and add a lot of surface detail, it'll probably end up looking sort of...delicate? in a way that might not suit the Demon. So I think the best approach would be to reimagine the morphology somewhat.

IIRC, Battuta once, during a previous discussion of this topic, described the Demon as something along the lines of "a big fat spider that sits out in space bleeding fighters". With that imagery, combined with bits of the HTL Rakshasa, I think I have a hook that might give you a way to make a strong artistic improvement.

So, I think the key to the Demon's overall appearance is these...ribs? Legs? I don't know what you'd call them.

As it is, they're very blocky. What if they were much smoother? Like big fat spider legs. Or, say, like these spikes on the side of the Rakshasa:

If you round off the "legs", make them into tapered cylinders running halfway up the model -- then gradually make the curve more gentle the higher you go -- you'll end up with the flanks of the ship having this wavy, rib-like structure, with crests and troughs. This ought to result in a somewhat organic feel -- almost a little Gigeresque -- that I think will suit the Shivans well.

Also, one other thing:

I kind of think you should maybe round off that corner. It's weirdly square and I don't think it looks good. I'm a lot less sure about this one than I am about the ribs thing, though (and the extra-pointy the WIP has it kind of works in its own right), so if anyone else feels differently please chime in.

Overall: as it is, you're rounding off some parts of the model but leaving a lot of sharp angles in. I think you're at risk of making the Demon look very high-tech, which I don't think is really appropriate. Obviously the Shivans are high-tech, but that doesn't generally come across in their visual design -- their ships don't look advanced; they look eldritch and animalistic.

Anyway, those are my two cents. Hope you'll get something useful out of it, but if you don't, oh well.  :p
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 09:44:45 am by Kestrellius »

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

I really don't like to see a spider-demon. It's nice on something small like the Rakshasa, on the Demon it looks fragile. Perhaps it works on the Ravana.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Ye, lower spikes should remain quite massive. Demon is overally very thicc guy, so thin, spiky claws would look off.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that the ribs/legs be narrow. Sorry if I gave that impression. I was trying to emphasize the roundness aspect, not the overall size and breadth of the legs -- I wouldn't want that changed much from retail.

Yeah, I see how the spider metaphor would be misleading. I'm...I'm envisioning something like a really beefy tarantula. Like, a spider with such thick legs that they're rubbing up against each other.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Thicc spider legs could be cool. But I trust Oddgrims artistic sensibilities.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
*snip*

Thanks for the feedback.
As pointed out before and I agree the spider legs would look cool however the retail model and textures do not imply such a shape in my opinion. rather emphasize the insect feeling as seen in the fs2 models I see the Demon more like a hulking behemoth. Its gray and mottled armour textures gives me an impression of slabs with round but angular surfaces on the machine bits. If you look close on the retail mesh, most of the capital04-03 (black machine bits) surfaces are complely angular with next to none in roundless. Sure there are angles to it but all of them imply a hard edge or surface, well what I think of it at least.
Interpretations may wary. c:
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Hmm. All right!

Offline 0rph3u5

described the Demon as something along the lines of "a big fat spider that sits out in space bleeding fighters".

... The Demon is more crustacean than an arachnid - paricularly the suborder of the Oniscidea or a species from genus of Bathynomus

EDIT: You may have to turn the Demon by 180° - you know, the arch being the antenae and the head being the tail

EDIT2: Show of hands, who else imagined how to roll the Demon up in a ball just now?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 06:18:56 pm by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
EDIT2: Show of hands, who else imagined how to roll the Demon up in a ball just now?

Aye.  :lol:

My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr

;)

[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim