Author Topic: Half-Life: Alyx  (Read 3501 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter

Valve has just unveiled their flagship title, called Half-Life: Alyx, two days after its announcement. I think it's worth the wait since the release of Half-Life 2: Episode Two in 2007.

EDIT: When Half-Life 2 started making its headlines before E3 2003, many people thought Alyx Vance is going to be the main protagonist. Now, Alyx is going to be such.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 12:19:03 pm by Bryan See »
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Dang, beaten to the punch by Bryan.

I am excited! Hopefully it's actually a game and not just "an experience"

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
Trying to decide if I'm excited for this...I loved HL1 and HL2, but I kinda lost interest with the "episodes." Hopefully it's not just an attempt to cash in on nostalgia.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
I hope there will be a non VR version. I tried VR but with glasses on it becomes uncomfortable pretty quickly and without the glasses I had trouble seeing.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
It's going to be a killer app for VR.

Maybe someone's gonna work on implementing full VR support (Valve Index, HTC Vive and Oculus Rift) for FSO.

If it does, I hope someone should start creating a space combat game set in the Half-Life/Portal universe, as Redditor japasthebass said that there's a lot of story left to be explored there during Gabe Newell's AMA in January 2017. For example, you want to explore how the homeworlds of the Nihilanth and the Vortigaunts are conquered by the Combine.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
The killer app for VR will be a lower cost and easier setup.
Back in the day Half-Life 2 was fairly well-optimized and could run on my mid-range machine at 1280x1024 without issues, a VR game requires a high end machine and a VR visor with motion controls on top which is often a lot of money, if it uses roomscale then there is the fact that many people don't have the space for it.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
**** Valve and their vanity projects.

Finish HL2.  Finish the Portal-HL arc.  Then maybe I'll fork out money for advanced hardware to try your vanity title.

Jesus.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
The worst thing is that a spin off or even a sequel where you play as Alyx is a no-brainer for me but they have to put an entry barrier for it. :(
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Luis Dias

I like their approach, they want to not just make half life games endlessly, they want to push the industry forward.

They were cowards by not doing a half life 3 with this though. They'd destroy the entire fandomuniverse with that move alone.

And LOL to everyone in here thinking HL2 was "accessible". No it wasn't. I couldn't play it for years.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The killer app for VR will be a lower cost and easier setup.

I don't think this is true. If it were, stuff like PSVR would be flying off the shelves.
The thing is, right now there are very few games that really use VR in ways that make a compelling argument that they can't be done just as well without VR.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

What surprises me the most about this that people still care about Half Life.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

He says, on hard-light.net
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

He says, on hard-light.net

Yeah but

we're like 10 people.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I like their approach, they want to not just make half life games endlessly, they want to push the industry forward.

They were cowards by not doing a half life 3 with this though. They'd destroy the entire fandomuniverse with that move alone.

And LOL to everyone in here thinking HL2 was "accessible". No it wasn't. I couldn't play it for years.

As I recall it was pretty accessible hardware-wise, but if you couldn't get a stable internet connection, yeah, good luck.

That's why I'm kind of confused about the rage about this (not here, other places): Everybody'd given up hope of ever seeing HL3; nothing is what we all expected. This is something. Something > nothing.
quick maffs

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter

That's why I'm kind of confused about the rage about this (not here, other places): Everybody'd given up hope of ever seeing HL3; nothing is what we all expected. This is something. Something > nothing.
quick maffs
But Half-Life: Alyx is anything but HL3. If HLA is well liked, I am sure we'll get to see a VR-based HL3, which, according to Valve News Network's Tyler McVicker, has a lot to do with the future of VR/Mixed Reality.

With HLA's announcement, Half-Life lives once again. Don't tell us if it's truly dead or not.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Aesaar

Hasn't most of the original HL2/Ep1/Ep2 team left Valve anyway?  I know Marc Laidlaw doesn't work there anymore.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Hasn't most of the original HL2/Ep1/Ep2 team left Valve anyway?  I know Marc Laidlaw doesn't work there anymore.

Yeah, HL3 in its intended form will never happen, since none of the orignal team is there anymore.
If you need closure, just read Laidlaw's story outline and move on: http://www.marclaidlaw.com/epistle-3/
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
This game could be interesting if it's designed for VR from the ground up, but I never liked HL2 and always found its maps repetitive and tedious. Unfortunately, this has dramatically increased demand for the Index VR headset. I was going to get one but they are heavily backordered now. The Index seems to be the best overall VR package right now, but has some issues and is outclassed by others in some ways. I think some of the best use cases for VR are actually vehicle or space games, like Elite Dangerous, Overload or Project Cars 2. Most of the regular FPSs that have come out so far have not been as good.

I hope there will be a non VR version. I tried VR but with glasses on it becomes uncomfortable pretty quickly and without the glasses I had trouble seeing.

You can get custom lenses for them, which is what I plan to do. They can get expensive though especially for strong prescriptions.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Half-Life: Alyx is out today. Have you got it and started playing?

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template