Author Topic: The Return of Su-tehp  (Read 15013 times)

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Holy crap, that's alot of effects stuff to download. Dunno if I'll need any of it, but it's nice to know that's there.

Ooh, more squad logos!  :cool: :nod: ;7 :drevil: :lol: :pimp: :yes: :yes: :yes: :D :p ;)
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

I think many of the squad logos are from DatDB though. :D

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
I think many of the squad logos are from DatDB though. :D

No, I'm looking through them now and there are a bunch of them I've never seen before. Not only that, but all the png files are from BattleTech. As awesome as they are, I can't use those. Why? [nerd voice]Because they're not thematically appropriate.[/nerd voice] [lawyer voice]I will not have DatDB accused of plagarism, sir![/lawyer voice]

I recognize a few that I...appropriated...for use in DatDB, but I didn't make them. According to my notes in my squad logo list, Sheepy made a few of these logos either for me or for...someone else besides me because I dunno who. :P Hell, a few of these logos look like they were made for the Battlestar Galactica mod because they have outlines of Raptors and Vipers on them...or even the words "Raptor" or "Viper" on them. Hell, one or two of them look like they have drawings of the Hammerhead fighter from Space: Above and Beyond on them. I really would have liked the Screaming Weasels logo since the Screaming Weasels are a canon GTVA squadron, but the weasel is flying one of the afore-mentioned Hammerhead fighters, not something from the GTVA fleet. Again, not thematically appropriate. :(

A lot of them look really nice but they also have the letters "TFS" on them, whatever that's supposed to stand for, so I can't use them because they don't seem to be a GTVA prefix I've ever heard used. :confused:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 11:13:39 pm by Su-tehp »

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

Well it's supposed to be a collection of everything that has ever been made for FS, so Diaspora should be included, I can take a look at the rest tomorrow.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Well it's supposed to be a collection of everything that has ever been made for FS, so Diaspora should be included, I can take a look at the rest tomorrow.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

The Order of the Stick

About 10% (21/215) are from DSA/Diaspora so it's not that much. I haven't been able to determine where the TFS squad logos come from; entering TFS in forum search directed only at some HomeWorld related stuff but nothing has ever been released there (also, the few logos are all older).

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
New question: do we have any images of mobile shipyards mods? I'm trying to write DatDB so that fleet logistics, namely stuff like Repair/Replenishment and harvesting resources and creating supplies in a mobile fleet auxiliary ship (a sort of mobile shipyard that can manufacture parts and ammo for the fleet while on the move) will be more of an up-front story factor. To that end, I'll not only need non-combat logistical ships like the GTG Zephyrus (gas miner), the GTM Hippocrates (medical ship) and the GTA Charybdis (AWACS), but I need a fleet auxiliary ship mod to serve as a mobile repair and refueling facility for my taskforce. (In The Lost Fleet, Geary has a few small auxiliary ships as well as a really big one named Titan, and protecting Titan (and the other auxiliaries, but especially Titan) was a big plot point more than once. I need that for DatDB.

Has anyone ever made such a mod? Or anything close to it?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 09:00:47 pm by Su-tehp »

The Order of the Stick

=>Exile, it has a mobile ship yard too.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue

Very nice, is it the ORSh Qadesh-class Mobile Shipyard? I'm trying to find a pic of it but haven't yet.

The Order of the Stick

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Wait till you see this page:
https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/User-made_Ships

You may be interested in the GTL Anemoi or the Modular Construction Kit.

Very nice, is it the ORSh Qadesh-class Mobile Shipyard? I'm trying to find a pic of it but haven't yet.

Here.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Wow, that looks fantastic.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Wow, that looks fantastic.

Indeed, it looks exactly like what I need. Now I just to find out its scale in comparison with other capital ships.

The Order of the Stick

You can just go and play Exile; should give you both a scale estimate and some plot ideas as well. Scale doesn't matter that much anyway as PCS allows you to resize ships without converting them to a different format.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Wait till you see this page:
https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/User-made_Ships

You may be interested in the GTL Anemoi or the Modular Construction Kit.

Yeah, I'm looking at the GTL Anemoi now and it looks like I could use a couple of Anemois as secondary auxiliaries with the Qadesh as the primary auxiliary. (I'm likely gonna rename the Qadesh because that's Hebrew, not Greek so it doesn't fit the traditional naming convention.) :nono: :nono: :nono:

Is the Qadesh anywhere in the list of user-made ships? I'm not finding it anywhere in that list.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 06:38:15 pm by Su-tehp »

The Order of the Stick

Probably not, the User-made shiplist is rarely up to date.

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Another ship from Exile worth mentioning that you may find useful are the Hephaestus-class ships which are essentially mobile factories. If I get time later I'll post a screenshot of it.

You can just go and play Exile; should give you both a scale estimate and some plot ideas as well. Scale doesn't matter that much anyway as PCS allows you to resize ships without converting them to a different format.
Or do this. :yes:

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Or do this. :yes:
Indeed. Do this :].

If you look for utility ships, Exile has quite a lot to offer.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Ugh, if only there was a way to differentiate the Exile ships from the other user-made ships. And if only the database was updated because I'm not finding the Hephaestus either. And if only the Exile Release thread had pictures instead of tinypics error messages saying "sorry, your pics are in another database." Ah, well.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 08:26:10 pm by Su-tehp »

The Order of the Stick

What exactly are you aiming for? Sure, broken pics and incomplete documentation are bad but you could just DL either the ShipsDB or Exile itself; if you're planing to use any of that you'd have to do so anyway. O'course I can just take screens for you but it's easier (and faster) to do that yourself. :)