Author Topic: Coronavirus Outbreak  (Read 134778 times)

Re: Coronavirus Outbreak
I've just come here to laugh at Domonic Cummings.

the big question now is whether he's Dominic Going
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
He might well be, as someone else now has.

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
Not making this up right now. One of the corporate magnates campaigning to end quarantine measures here in Brazil is called "Edgard Corona".
Potato!

I got that call to go back to work.

The active case count in the state is literally the highest it's been since the pandemic began.

I feel like my boss could have made the call significantly shorter by just saying, "Your money or your life."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
And I bet you money that when the case numbers skyrocket again because it IS too early to go back to work, Trump will blame the protesters for gathering together and spreading the virus.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
And I bet you money that when the case numbers skyrocket again because it IS too early to go back to work, Trump will blame the protesters for gathering together and spreading the virus.

No bet.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Just my 2 cents considering that I live in the European country that first experienced the worst aspect of this outbreak, despite being from the least infected region by number of cases per capita.

People are crazy. I went outside for a walk with friends I haven't met in months, and pretty much no one was wearing masks. People are massed in places and behave as if nothing happened.

Ok, this may be a warm region, especially during summertime, but if things keep going like this we may expect a new lockdown between november and december.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 08:58:03 am by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Here in California, while most businesses are still going by social distancing + mask rules, I've seen a lot of people starting to go without masks while out and about. Lot of people gathering together, acting as if the plague is completely done. We're only barely starting to ease restrictions in the state, and too many people are acting like it's already over.

You never realize how common touching/wiping/rubbing one's own face is until you start watching for it. I'm working at a fairly small construction site, and my two older coworkers hardly ever have their masks on, and frequently just will wipe their whole faces with their hands, share tools and pens, and stand way too close.
And then everybody makes fun of me for at least trying to stay further apart and not touch their stuff.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I spend a fair amount of my workong week on sites too,  ground workers are the worst at that, they're like a flock of budgies 😂
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 12:16:55 pm by Colonol Dekker »
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
FFS, Washington DC is apparently starting to relax the social distancing, or at least the Giant stores here in this city are. For the past couple of months until this week, we were only manning every other checkout lane so none of the customers would be passing within 6 feet of the cashiers in adjacent lanes. Apparently, that rule got rescinded a few days ago because today was the second day I had to man a cashier between two also-open lanes. I've had dozens of customers stand within 6 feet of me for minutes at a time as they purchased their groceries while standing behind me as I manned my own register. When I complained, the managers said that the rule had been rescinded by the corporate guys and that we had no choice but to open extra lanes whenever the store got swamped with customers. Holy sh!t, but that really raised my hackles. :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Along with all the other errands I have to run on my day off tomorrow, I'm heading to the doctor's office again for my monthly covid test even though I'm about 2 or 3 weeks early this time around. No f*cking way am I taking chances with any possibility of exposure. :mad: :mad2: :nono: :hopping:
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
It's so bizarre reading about reopenings in places with high case counts, while my employer still not only has us out of our offices but also shut down for all but critical operations because of high case counts in other parts of Canada, while were I live we have among the lowest in the country.

Though I, too, am seeing people interacting in public like distancing is no longer a thing.  Very irritating.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You know what's truly bizarre? China shut down the entire country when they had around 2000 cases. They ended up with 80,000 cases. Meanwhile, the US is opening up while having 20,000 cases a day! So 1/4 of the total number of cases China reported.

And even if you don't believe the numbers from China, look at the countries that did beat the virus (so far). South Korea did more testing than nearly anywhere and never got remotely close to 20k a day! They never got close to 20k TOTAL!

It just amazes me that people are so desperate to throw away their future for such a short term gain. Even though we know everyone will be back in lockdown soon as a result of this nonsense.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
You know what's truly bizarre? China shut down the entire country when they had around 2000 cases. They ended up with 80,000 cases. Meanwhile, the US is opening up while having 20,000 cases a day! So 1/4 of the total number of cases China reported.

And even if you don't believe the numbers from China, look at the countries that did beat the virus (so far). South Korea did more testing than nearly anywhere and never got remotely close to 20k a day! They never got close to 20k TOTAL!

It just amazes me that people are so desperate to throw away their future for such a short term gain. Even though we know everyone will be back in lockdown soon as a result of this nonsense.

I think the reason is how badly Usa has handled the crisis, there was pretty much no joint effort between states and federal government. Of course they had the codvid19 task force but looked like it gave just more screen time for Trump, than a real effort to try and slow down codvid19 also way too late response also people rebelled against the lockdown's etc..the leadership middle of a biggest health crisis in 100 years and there was no leadership really twitterer-in chief just kept writing the **** out of his ass in twitter.
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Dysko

In Italy now we are having "only" few hundred new daily confirmed cases (~70% of which in Lombardy), a number which is constantly decreasing, even though we had far-right COVID-19-deniers gatherings even in highly-hit cities such as Milan.
In the past days, an hospital in Rome was locked down due to a developing cluster, while Rome itself was so far mostly spared from the outbreak.

The Italian Red Cross is currently performing antibody tests on a randomized sample (the only condition is that they are performed on people who never showed any symptom). In the province where I live, 10'000 "normal citizens" and 10'000 health operators were tested. Turned out that 70% of the "normal citizens" had SARS-CoV-2 antibodies, while only 30% of the health operators had them.

I will probably ask for an antibody test in the next weeks since I have already to perform blood tests for pre-existing issues, even if they are quite expensive in Lombardy.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Looking at the Americas, I suppose this is how people in asia felt when they looked at europe.

Offline AV8R

Check out this graph on the CDC's own page showing COVID-19 deaths by demographics (under the Age and Sex subheading):

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

What is striking is how death rates for every age group have dwindled to tiny amounts compared to what was going on in mid-April. Strange. This data raises some questions.

Is the virus getting less virulent? Are more people becoming asymptomatic? Are we reaching herd-immunity levels and just not aware of it yet? Are the supposed infection rates going up simply because more people are being tested, and as such more people are testing "positive" but never really got sick (just antibodies). This can certainly be true of younger demographics according to the graph (deaths in those age groups are were just above flat).

Thoughts?

(EDIT: Strange too how the media's focus has shifted from death rates to infections rates - since death rates at this point are no longer a sensational talking point). :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 11:43:36 am by AV8R »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

Offline AV8R

But these are collective U.S. numbers - not just one state. Wouldn't you think there would be a noticeable and sizable uptick in deaths which would then show on the graph?

I guess time will tell.