Author Topic: [WIP] The Goddess of Darkness  (Read 8739 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
[WIP] The Goddess of Darkness
Nyctaeus was derived from latin noctis, that means "nocturnal". Night = darkness, so it makes Hecate my... Patron ship? If yes, time to give her a spin, and breathe new life into this design :]. I took over the development from Hades and included his progress in my version. Comments and feedback are welcome.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
Re: [WIP] The Goddess of Darkness
i like it a lot so far
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Nyctaeus was derived from latin noctis, that means "nocturnal". Night = darkness, so it makes Hecate my... Patron ship?

No it has to be mine. Hecate is better than Orion, that's why.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Nyctaeus was derived from latin noctis, that means "nocturnal". Night = darkness, so it makes Hecate my... Patron ship?

No it has to be mine. Hecate is better than Orion, that's why.
Install Blender and make one. Then she will be yours :P
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

That's mean! :hopping:

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Hecate is better than Orion, that's why.
Me right now:
Hidden Text: Show
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Hecate is better than Orion, that's why.
Me right now:
Hidden Text: Show

For a long time I followed the wrong idea that the Orion was better somehow (even though I never really liked it) just because of beams and stuff like that. All that was simply because my simple mind could not grasp the true beauty of the Hecates design that puts the Orion to shame so badly. But then I realized how every single poly was perfect (well, for a retail model atleast), and so I found a way to happyness.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Ehhh... Guys?

Oh yeah there was still one missing thing :D

How did it take me this long to realize that the Hecate's shape vaguely resembles the Hades?

EDIT: Imagine a stubbier, shorter Hades with "ears". I can't unsee it now.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I always thought the Hecate was best shown off in the nebula missions, where all the protruding fins and towers give a sense of ungrasped size and complexity.

I think the Hecate design is quite good, actually. The trick is to think of it kind of like Inferno’s Lindos. It’s not a streamlined/nautical design like the  Orion, it’s a collection of vertical shapes. It’s a flying city. I hope any new model really digs into that aspect.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
When I examined the mesh I thought: This thing is probably just reworked Hades. It's shape and actually even topology suggests so. Volition is known from kitbashing their own models. Artemis and couple other ships are actually reworked Herc I. The wings we start from in "Mystery of the Trinity" are also not original parts of the design. Concept art and mesh structure clearly shows, that they were added later. Probably to difference it further from Hades.

I decided to take crossover of Deimos and flying city as creative direction, with large parts of armored hull contrasting with heavily detailed greeble areas. I don't think about Hecate as pure warship, but more of a support destroyer/fleetcarrier/auxiliary unit/command ship/logistics. The mesh will reflect it.

Speaking of development history, :v-old: suggested at one point that there would be ships with designated roles like carriers, anti-cap frigates etc. My guess is that there was supposed to be a fleet of Deimos (anti-fighter), Iceni (anti-cap) and the Hecate (carrier), just that the Iceni ended up as NTF ship and left the Hecate as a seemingly weak replacement for the Orion.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Oh yeah, the Iceni is basically an Orion in a Deimos box. It's nuts. I wonder how would groups made out of mixed ships like that fare.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
[The Hecate] is not a streamlined/nautical design like the Orion

Wait wait wait. The Orion? Streamlined? That flying brick?  :ick: :P

Say what you will about the Orion, but it is not "streamlined." :nono: :nono: :nono:

Oh yeah, the Iceni is basically an Orion in a Deimos box. It's nuts. I wonder how would groups made out of mixed ships like that fare.

Damn, I'd like to see that sort of mixed force as well. I wonder how versatile it would be.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Looking stellar so far!
I am a revolutionary.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Say what you will about the Orion, but it is not "streamlined." :nono: :nono: :nono:

It's a fore-to-aft structure, as opposed to a vertical one. The Orion looks like a combatant, the Hecate looks like a mobile base.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue

It's a fore-to-aft structure, as opposed to a vertical one. The Orion looks like a combatant, the Hecate looks like a mobile base.

The Hecate is still longer on its length than its height, so, no, it's not taller than it is long. Ergo, it's not a vertical structure by definition. As as for the Hecate "looking like a mobile base," that's completely subjective. It looks like a spaceship to me. A really boxy spaceship, but a spaceship nonetheless. What makes the difference between a mobile "space base" and a spacefaring command ship? Both move, both send commands to the rest of its fleet, and both function in space. They way the two "look" has nothing to do with all that. Isn't the difference between the two academic?

Hell, just take a look at the Tohoku-class Alliance cruiser from Firefly. Now that is a ship that is not only taller than it is long (by a significant margin) but it even looks like a city block. From a subjective viewpoint (namely mine), that looks to me like a mobile command base precisely because it looks like a bunch of city skyrise buildings in space. But in universe, it's never referred to as anything but a navy cruiser, namely a ship rather than a mobile base.

As for the Orion being "streamlined," let us properly examine the definition of the word "streamlined":
design or provide with a form that presents very little resistance to a flow of air or water, increasing speed and ease of movement. Similar:
aerodynamic
smooth
sleek
trim
elegant
graceful

Say what you will, but the words "smooth" or "sleek" or especially "aerodynamic" objectively do not apply to a design filled with hard right-angles like the Orion.

(The fact that spaceships objectively don't need to be aerodynamic in the airless void of space is irrelevant. Some spaceships like the GTF Herc II and the GTF Perseus have smoother lines because they look cooler that way, but they don't need to be that way to move faster because of the simple fact that space is not a medium, it's literally nothing. Streamlining doesn't help you move faster through the void of space. In fiction, it's purely for Rule of Cool.)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 02:21:52 pm by Su-tehp »
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Jesus christ

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The Hecate is still longer on its length than its height, so, no, it's not taller than it is long. Ergo, it's not a vertical structure by definition. As as for the Hecate "looking like a mobile base," that's completely subjective. It looks like a spaceship to me. A really boxy spaceship, but a spaceship nonetheless. What makes the difference between a mobile "space base" and a spacefaring command ship? Both move, both send commands to the rest of its fleet, and both function in space. They way the two "look" has nothing to do with all that. Isn't the difference between the two academic?

The Orion is a very compact vessel. It fits neatly in a pretty small box; its a simple shape that is easy to understand. With its pronounced bow and carrier deck, it has elements familiar to us; it's not directly inspired by actual naval vessels, but it definitely is a product of that lineage.

The Hecate, on the other hand, has a verticality to it that the Orion lacks. It has a hangar deck that opens downward, out of the "head" area; it has long fins along the side of the head and wings on the engine and little towers on top of those. Where the Orion is a highly efficient shape, the Hecate is fanciful: You can kinda see a function for most forms on the Orion, but there is nothing in the Hecate design that clues us in to why it is shaped the way it is. Flying through and around it is difficult and requires memorization; it's a better shape for a game (in that it provides nooks and crannies to rest and recharge for a player) but it doesn't make sense the way the Orion does.

As for the Orion being "streamlined," let us properly examine the definition of the word "streamlined":
design or provide with a form that presents very little resistance to a flow of air or water, increasing speed and ease of movement. Similar:
aerodynamic
smooth
sleek
trim
elegant
graceful

You forgot that "streamlined" is an engineering term as well, where it is synonymous with efficient. The Orion is streamlined in that sense. The Hecate is not.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns