Author Topic: The Aesaar-Hades Terran Fighter Extravaganza  (Read 20887 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Re: The Aesaar-Hades Terran Fighter Extravaganza
So let's call a spade a spade then...

If someone dislikes this model as an HTL Herc 2 they...

A: Agree that the HTL Lilith is also too much a departure from the original and thus this the person is obligated to accept this model as a Herc 2.
B: Disagree that the HTL Lilith is also too much a departure from the original and thus the person is a hippocrite.
That's not what I said, though I'm sure you're being disingenuous on purpose so I won't bother trying to walk you through it.

How about we have this argument after the model's done.
That's what will be happening.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Of course you'd deny that by saying I'm purposefully being combatative....

You posted the Lilith as to say that if I don't complain (see allow) about the Lilith's changes, then I don't have room to dislike your Herc 2's changes unless I want to be labelled a hippocrite. But I fully expect you to ignore, fight, or otherwise try to debunk all related opinions unless they come from one of your regular peeps that you actually listen to... (VA, Oddgrim, Starslayer, Zacam, etc.)
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Hades

Of course you'd deny that by saying I'm purposefully being combatative....

You posted the Lilith as to say that if I don't complain (see allow) about the Lilith's changes, then I don't have room to dislike your Herc 2's changes unless I want to be labelled a hippocrite. But I fully expect you to ignore, fight, or otherwise try to debunk all related opinions unless they come from one of your regular peeps that you actually listen to... (VA, Oddgrim, Starslayer, Zacam, etc.)
I said nothing about the Lilith, I used it in place of the high-poly Cain model to compare to the retail Cain model. (btw it's hypocrite) What I did was compare what I view as as something that deviates from its original (and listed another, the Aeshma) to see if people were consistent with the complaint that it's "not retail enough".

The reason I don't listen to you is: a) you ARE combatant, you don't think you are but you really, really are. b)  You also really don't offer constructive criticism, the most I remember is you pitching that fit about me putting two pilots in the Apollo and then saying "WELL I CAN MOD SO WHATEVER", going absolutely BERSERK about the glow color on the blue Leviathan, despite Oddgrim and myself saying we weren't opposed to changing it, and you told me not to do the Lilith because we already have a model (same thing you did with the Medusa, Leviathan, etc). I listen VasudanAdmiral, Oddgrim, Starslayer, Zacam, etc because, not only are they constructive, they're not aggressive about it, a concept you can't seem to grasp. I don't even talk to Starslayer at all, but yet his input was all constructive AND given in an acceptable way so I took note of it. Funny how that works?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 08:59:18 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
:) Thank you. Zacam to Hades' rescue in 3, 2...
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
This is precisely why I don't publicly show any WIP designs until I am damn close to having the mesh finished any more, it just sparks off this kind of senseless argument.

On a side note I personally hate what I did with Aeshma and hope to redo it some day.
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
My two cents:

Blocky = Wing Commander 3.

I suppose :v: wanted to move away from that as they made FS2.
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Personally I cannot see this model replacing the default Herc 2 (as much as I prefer it to V's one). The Vanilla one was an attempt by volition to out do themselves in the creative department.

From where I see it, V tried to add some variety to the Terran fleet by having more curved designs in order to provide something refreshing. It's why we ended up with some more interesting things like the Hecate, the Artemis, the Perseus, the Myrm, the Herc 2 and many more. V did this on purpose to challenge themselves and to provide more interesting eye-candy. It is meant (in my eyes) to serve as a visual aid to the evolution of the GTA into the GTVA. This isn't the same ship, and this isn't the same government or manufacturer that was in FS1.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm gonna sidestep all the "should-it-or-shouldn't-it" nonsense and random dick-waving (can we please stop that) for the moment and state that, in a perfect world, this is pretty much what I think the Herc 2 should have looked like.  The original Herc was one of the most iconic fighters in FS1, the ship that won the Great War, but its successor was an amorphous blob whose only real common features were the extended nose and spike on the bottom.  Between that and the lack of a quad primary bank, I never liked flying the thing.  (Yes, it's a missile boat, which I appreciate more now, but I used to be fairly primary-only because of how used I was to FS1 missiles sucking.)  StarSlayer's concept was a cool take on a Herc progression in the more realistic modern aviation sense, and it's nice to see it getting fully realized as a model. :yes:

Offline Veers

OMG, IT'S GORGEOUS!

I love it!
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I don't know why anyone is even arguing whether it whould end in the MVPs or not. That's FSU's job to decide, not yours (to all the non-FSU members arguing here), and if you disagree with the final choice, you just need 30 sec to mod it out anyway.

So what are you guys exactly trying to do here aside from building unnecessary drama? Let the guys do their job, use it if you like it, don't use it if you don't. Bring constructive criticism if you see ways to improve it, but don't try to forcibly turn Hades and Aesaar away from the fundamental artistic choice they chose to follow, and don't try to do backseat FSUing.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

oh look, matth's demanding everyone stop discussing anything again. how unexpected
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Oh look, Phantom Hoover is posting ad hominems again. How unexpected.

Stop it.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline TacOne

• Dabbling Modder
Awesome model
That's an awesome model you've got there, can't wait to see it finished!

Arguing
It's got two pod things with a couple of huge underpowered engines and a hyperspace magazine, that little fin thing at the bottom, and it doesn't have fins or spikes sticking out the back. So it's definitely a Herc II.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
I'm imagining this thing coming from an alternate timeline where the GTVA didn't form, or something along those lines.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Wow, blocky Herc 2.... I like blocky things :D
So far I have only one small suggestion

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-kQVml6nXSr0/TXTzwjr9TkI/AAAAAAAAAtE/dQaQs38RN94/P-47%2BThunderbolt%2Bmachine%2Bguns.jpg
Weapons are usually mounted like that because of the ammunition belts which must be placed next to the machine gun. In FS I guess there are a lot of cables or pipes around the laser cannons so I think that this rule can also make sense here ;)

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Awesome model, it will replace the HercII in my FS2 install in a heartbeat :yes:
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Wow, blocky Herc 2.... I like blocky things :D
So far I have only one small suggestion
*snip*

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-kQVml6nXSr0/TXTzwjr9TkI/AAAAAAAAAtE/dQaQs38RN94/P-47%2BThunderbolt%2Bmachine%2Bguns.jpg
Weapons are usually mounted like that because of the ammunition belts which must be placed next to the machine gun. In FS I guess there are a lot of cables or pipes around the laser cannons so I think that this rule can also make sense here ;)

I second this suggestion. It could even be used with the wedge shaped fronts offered by StarSlayer.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
random dick-waving (can we please stop that)
Huh?  Aaaaaw  :(
*Puts it back in*
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
These concepts by StarSlayer are very cool. I plan to do this for my take on both the GTS Hygeia and the GTT Argo for the next MediaVPs.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Hades

Big update. Pods reworked, little winglet prong thing remade, pies hidden from Aesaar. Big changes really.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL