Author Topic: The Other Sathanas  (Read 74459 times)

Offline Kolgena

Out of curiosity, what's the poly and texture count on the Karuna? Just so we can anticipate the hit on our systems.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I wouldn't bother with what the Karuna does now since it's planned to be optimized even more (With a remade model by Hades) - as I said before.
So what it does now will be different in time.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Out of curiosity, what's the poly and texture count on the Karuna? Just so we can anticipate the hit on our systems.

The Karuna has 41567 53751 polygons (including all submodels) and uses 25 (!!!) individual diffuse textures of various sizes, and it has no LODs. Given that "Delenda Est" runs reasonably smooth with 4 Karunas on screen on my 2.5 year old PC, I wouldn't worry too much about the new Collie or Sath.

More on topic: That's a mighty impressive model, I mostly like what I see... there are a few parts I would have done differently, but then again this is your baby and you can do whatever the hell you like. I'm curious as to how this will look when textured.

EDIT: Derp, Hades is right about the polycount... it's late and I should go to sleep ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 02:28:44 am by Col. Fishguts »
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Actually, you're looking at the child polycount for the Karuna, the actual total polycount is 53751 triangles.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Odds this model will have the necessary animation to starnuke ingame? There are a number of mods out there that would be very happy with you if it could...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
From what I recall about FSU discussions about it is that it may be possible.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Yep, it is possible. Rotation is all that should be needed to make the anim work in game, but it seeing as how the turrets at the end of the arms are, well, turrets, the version with the functional animation would not be functional as a Sath. It would be just a set peice.

The current running idea is to have the arms do their thing, but also the spine plates will stand up like hair on a dog. Not straight up, but clearly raised.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
The detail0 of the Colly with all of its turrets is 99299 polies.

More than half of that is in detail boxes, which you shouldn't see more than two of at a time. I don't know if the Sath is capable of such optimization, but you might want to consider it.

The texturing will consist of 3 2048 textures, a small debris texture, and a possibly a special LOD textures, depending on how I do tackle that one. So yeah, it should not actually be too horrible to your comps.

You ought to be able to handle LOD1 with the main hull texture. Try to reserve some space on one of the textures for a top, bottom, and side view of the whole textured model to map to LOD 2 and 3, instead of adding yet another texture.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
This is a really awesome-looking model, and I feel bad about saying something that isn't glowingly positive about it, but just as a matter of personal tastes, I'm not sure I like where you went with all of the spines and such on the sides and the scales along the spine.  Maybe it's just me, but I always viewed the Sathanas as this massive, dense, solid lump of black-and-red evil.  For lack of a better term, some of the details you added almost make certain parts of the ship look fragile, as if some of those greebles might snap off with a single bomb hit.  In some crazy alternate fantasy world where I had actual creativity and modeling skills, I feel like I would have kept those side plates as fairly smooth sheets of armor.  But again, that's all personal preference, and it's still a terrific-looking model as it stands. :)

Maybe it's just me, but I always viewed the Sathanas as this massive, dense, solid lump of black-and-red evil.  For lack of a better term, some of the details you added almost make certain parts of the ship look fragile, as if some of those greebles might snap off with a single bomb hit.
Well, quite a few shivan ships have that same "fragile" look.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, they do, but the Sathanas always seemed much more solid to me as a whole, at least in the body section.  It sort of has a Demon thing going on, in a way.

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Keep in mind that the massive size is poorly illustrated here. You can hide cruisers within the nooks and crannies. In game, what seems like a small detail is actually the size of a Cain. This will likely decrease the perceived fragility. Also, the texture should bring in all sorts of evil aesthetic.
I think I'll call REAL Mahjong 'Chinese Dominoes', just to make people think I'm an ignorant asshat.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, I did kind of realize as I was writing that up that the scale of those screenshots is really throwing off the actual final in-game ship.  I'm sure it'll look pretty crazy when you're flying around it. :)

On a more practical note, I don't envy you (or whomever) the task of getting those front beam cannon subsystems aligned right, lest Bearbaiting become completely impossible. :p

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
On a more practical note, I don't envy you (or whomever) the task of getting those front beam cannon subsystems aligned right, lest Bearbaiting become completely impossible. :p

Indeed. Between this and the Colossus, there is (no pun intended) a massive amount of testing that will be taking place.

In fact, we may need an official Beta Test team. It has worked out reasonably well in the past, the only issue being having a dedicated core able, capable and willing and well versed in handling the FSO engine, especially if we have them running directly from (albeit Read-Only) SVN content.

Cause as good as any of us are, we are still just individuals and we can't in and of ourselves catch everything.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

I think it's a good thing that you updated what sathanas looks like.
It was too blurry before, especially when compared with all the new and improved spaceships and fighters already done.
I hope for more and better designs in the future. Ships to kill Sathanas with.
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Yeah, with the FS engine especially, a poorly optimized model is far, far worse than a massively detailed one. *cough*Karuna*cough*

Either way... can't wait to see what gets done texture side!

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
I am sad to say that c914 has not been in contact for some time, and many PM's have gone unanswered. A while ago he stated that in two weeks he would be able to show me some progress, but I have not heard from him since then and it has been well over two weeks.

That being said, I went ahead and gave it a go myself. Be nice, this is my first texture job!

Planned: Obviously finish it... and darken it. All of the red will be in the glow map.

FAQ (from those that have seen it):

Q: What's with the yellow bits?
A: This is a direct note from the book of c914. His Cain actually features this yellow/gold a fair amount. It keeps the somewhat desaturated doomish look while adding subtly changes. I may have over done it a bit though.

Q: When is it going to be done?
A: I have no idea. Soon? Hopefully before March.

Q: Why have you not added any red?
A: This will be in the Glow map.

Q: Will you use any tiling?
A: No.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Keep the basic shape of the flak turrets, but make them uglier and more angular, and make the barrels triangular or rectangular. The Shivans are not bugs and do not have organic ships; try incorporating some of the jagged mechanical motifs of FS1 Shivans into the design to add a more aggressive edge, especially in the turrets. Hard edges and acute angles = good, flowing sculpted arty shapes = bad.

The texture looks damn good so far, but the yellowish panels should be purple or something; they remind me of the Triton right now. The Triton is not scary.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:56:52 pm by Woolie Wool »
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
So I just looked at the latest posts in this thread

and I

JIZZED

IN

MY PANTS

Offline Rga_Noris

• What?
Turrets will look aggressive.

As for using FS1 stylings, I will use some. But this is not an FS1 ship, and FS2 is just as canon as FS1. Also, FS tends to take a departure from the Aggressive pointyness at times. Look at the Lucy. It's forward arms are no more aggressive than the Saths, and it has an overall smooth appearance, with curved carapace looking peices. It also undeniably looks a bit like a crustacean.

Shivan Hunter: Sigtau said the same thing. While I appreciate the compliments, I am not to be held liable for any ruined undergarments.