Author Topic: What are you working on?  (Read 308219 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
What are you working on?
I feel like there's probably a lot of work that goes on in the community that people don't necessarily make a big deal out of - stuff that might never get finished or released, but, in many cases, is pretty cool. I thought that at thread like this might encourage people to share their little pet projects, half formed ideas, WiPs - anything FS related that maybe doesn't deserve its own WiP threads. That might mean models, missions, reskins, animations, effects - anything!

Not necessarily interested in secret project work (though if you want to share, go right ahead), just whatever you feel like sharing. And if you have a screenshot, render or other pic, more's the better!

So... what are you working on?

For my part, in addition to project work for TI and BWO (that is progressing guys despite the delay, I swear!) I'm trying to improve my Vasudan texturing - I started by UVing and reskinning Aldo's Hathor class model (this thing - no pics at present, unfortunately, it's stuck on the other machine) and continued by looking at Trashman's Wepwawet, which I decided would work well as a "Colonial One" type heavy diplomatic transport:

I'm also texturing Axem's old Bellonna class corvette, with the intent of using it as a small stealth ship - its awesome concealed turrets make it a very cool candidate for that.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/NarfPics/media/modeldump/bellona1.jpg.html
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/NarfPics/media/modeldump/bellona2.jpg.html

Textured pics in a few days - again, stuck on the other machine.

So, that's what I'm working on. What are you working on?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
Re: What are you working on?
Most of my actual modding work is essentially done by this point so it's mostly FREDDING now.

However for a potential future project, I'm trying to figure out what would be a good ship to be a descendent design of the Jutland. Any ideas?

Also trying to make Vasudan models look less Vasudan and more "alien" didn't turn out too well imho

Then again I didn't really try for some of the models, so I'll be going back and fixing those up whenever I got spare time.

What are you working on?
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline Axem

Suh-weet. Unfinished model getting finished. I can approve of this enterprise. :)

Also I love that skybox, BTA. ;)

As for me, I've been working on JAD2.22, continuing any effort to fuse the space sim genre with the genre of something else... To that end...

(This Visual Novel script I made is the best and worst thing I've ever made.)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I've been coding a TIE fighter mission converter; i.e. create a "close as possible" .fs2 from a .tie.  Maybe when its done it'll form the basis of some sort of Tie Fighter remake in FSO  :nervous:

(and I don't really have any useful screenies at the moment)

edit: finally fixed my typo
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 10:24:59 pm by niffiwan »
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Been throwing together a whole bunch of nonsense into a sci-fi mashup of ridiculous proportions.

Specifically: Freespace (and several fan campaigns thereof), Wings of Dawn, Babylon 5, Star Trek, the Worldwar novels, Escape Velocity, EV: Override, Nodewars (anyone remember that?), Wing Commander, and Battletech/Aerotech, with various bits and pieces of history, alt-history, and pure whimsy thrown in at random.

I'm gonna be sticking to shortish campaigns of maybe 4-8 missions for the most part, starting with a training campaign to introduce people to the setting, and a Regulus campaign once I can make and UV a few minor assets. (I'm starting with these two 'vignettes' because I can stick pretty much entirely to existing models.)

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 01:51:50 am by Mad Bomber »
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
working on another solar system worth of skyboxes
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
1st:
GTD Boreas Reborn - Some sort of HTL old and ugly HTL Boreas known from Shadow Genesis. Baked textures will be included in refresh and the same thing goes for Icelus [as both are textured horribly IMHO]. You may see both of them in Shadow Genesis 2.0.

2nd
GTBs Invictus - Based on Daegon, but redesigned more racically. It's supposed to be FS1 era flagship of the GTA, but I dropped the project due to lack of project that could include it.

3rd

Alternate Ancient Fleet - As the title says, it's alternate for ASW fleet and it's based on old Vasudan Empire warships from Over the Top. Fleet contains cruiser based on Joh, frigate based on Geb [AFg Moires] and two destroyers - AD Chania [based on some very old vasudan carrier above] and other destroyer based on Duat. I might probably rework some other models, but I dropped the project. They are old, tilemapped and ugly. I have Moires tilemapped and resmoothed, but it never left Blender phase. Only one part of this project is finished - the Chania, all purpose heavy carrier-destroyer similar in role to Hecate. It will be included in Mystery Project modpack.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Hello everyone. I've not been very active recently, but it doesn't mean I'm not doing anything :D. Uni- related stuff is pinning me down now but in a free time.... Brace your eyes. That crap may hurt your sight.

Yeah. When you raise your modelling skill to the satisfying level it would be nice to learn some drawing. What is what I'm doing now :D And let me present you a piece of a heavy frigate made by lukasz. The design was based on the early concepts of Impervious from DE. For now it found it's place in betrayal's Mystery Project :D So, please be patient, there is a lot to be shown here :)

Um and one more thing. This little guy can make you texturing much much easier :D TBH I can't imagine working without it now

Oh, and I almost forgot. I'm waiting for that lad above me to remap my Strike Hydra :D. Current UV is a bit tricky, few places need some fixes. As soon as I grab them I will move with texturing the Hydra.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 06:09:40 pm by Col.Hornet »

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
^^

This thread is awesome
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

I've been coding a TIE fighter mission converter; i.e. create a "close as possible" .fs2 from a .tie.  Maybe when its done it'll form the basis of some sort of Tie Fighter remake in FSO  :nervous:

(and I don't really have any use screenies at the moment)
I SO APPROVE OF THIS!!! :yes: :yes: :yes: :nod:
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
Actually i´m working on a set of colored ANI Heads for anyone that want to use in his mod ( if he likes   :lol: )
I´m not a professional animator but i´m learning and having fun a lot...
As well i´m trying to use MixaelANITools but i have many problems, so finally i´m doing different.
Anyway, here some previews of the imperial pack....

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 03:25:43 pm by coffeesoft »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Actually i´m working on a set of colored ANI Heads for anyone that want to use in his mod ( if he likes   :lol: )

Ooooh, that looks cool  :) :yes:

Heck, the entire thread is cool, great idea BlackWolf  :nod:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

This thread is really cool :)

Alright, let's see what FS-related items I have on my TODO/WiP list:
  • WCS Open:
    A modding/coding project to get Wing Commander Saga to run properly on regular FSO builds, based on MatthTheGeek's pre-WCS source release efforts. I intended to get a somewhat more polished product before even attempting to coordinate with the SCP team to port back the features/SEXP needed to get the game working. The end-product should also include the option to skip a given dialogue, which I had almost finished working on before the source code release.

Engine-wise so far, compared to FSO, I think it's got a few extra in-mission ship/wing flags (without FRED integration, because FRED's GUI code seems to be some sort of eldritch entity from beyond time and space) and a couple of SEXP that have, as far as I know, no equivalent in FSO. Feature-wise, I've mostly managed to reproduce the various HUDs, which was a really tedious task since WCS uses a lot of generic hud elements shared by all ships which were defined once in the WCS hud table, but had to be redefined (read: copy-pasted) for each ship with a custom hud in FSO. Why not just port that handy feature back into FSO? Because WCS & FSO's hud code have absolutely nothing in common, and I lacked the know-how and familiarity with the hud code to port all that from scratch.

I've also encountered a couple of odd bugs, such as the game crashing during the first command briefing, head anis playing their "I am dying" animation for regular messages, and fighters colliding with the end the carrier's hangar.
  • set-armor-value: A rather minor project, the idea was to not have a zillion armor types à-la-BP for every concievable damage-reduction/increase scenario. I think the SEXP itself is working, but that there was some issue with FRED integration.
  • A Vasudan Point of View:
    The big modTM, it's got a ton of unfinished stuff, stuff to be redone, stuff to be made, etc.
    Aside from missions to FRED, re-FRED, balance, etc.
    Models (no screenies for now):
    • Vasudan Torpedo (to redo): Not really essential, but I thought I had a decent concept a few years ago that didn't turn out all that well, so I'd like to give it another shot.
    • Shivan SSM (to redo): Kinda important to me. I had a concept for that one as well, but I think it sucked, so I'd have to restart from scratch.
    • Shivan Swarmer Bomb (WiP): My lastest modelling project, I'd love to see it going past the UV phase.
    • Shivan Gunship (WiP): One of my oldest models not to have been scrapped. I thought about posting about it in modding several times for advice, but always chickened in the end. Haven't given up on it though.
    Scripts:
    • Ship Variant: Mostly finished now, it's already been posted on HLP, but I haven't really had time to make use of it, so ...
    • Gunship/Bomber turret setting: Kinda similar in spirit to the variant script, the idea is to modify a strike craft's loadout according to what primary weapon it is carrying. The logic behind this was to create several complexe weapons/turret/armor packages for gunships (see models above), bombers, or any player-flyable ships. Since the gunship model was never finished, I never got around to finishing the script.
    • Respawn/body jump script: Still not quite out of the drawing board. It's basically a ship switching script with incorporated cutscene: when player hull <= 1%, slow game down, select a new ship to jump to, turn camera towards target ship, move camera to target ship, jump to target ship.

Aaand I *think* that's about it.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
  • set-armor-value: A rather minor project, the idea was to not have a zillion armor types à-la-BP for every concievable damage-reduction/increase scenario. I think the SEXP itself is working, but that there was some issue with FRED integration.
How did you pull that off? It looks like you'd need to basically rewrite the armor type system, or at the very least change the way the damage code calls it. I had some vague ideas involving rewriting a lot of damage code, so I'd be keenly interested in your code, if you're willing to share.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower

Working on incorporating these nice ANI's into the Original Trilogy mod! And making some more campaign missions and eventually releasing Version 4.

How did you pull that off? It looks like you'd need to basically rewrite the armor type system, or at the very least change the way the damage code calls it. I had some vague ideas involving rewriting a lot of damage code, so I'd be keenly interested in your code, if you're willing to share.
I'm afraid it's not really anything fancy like that actually  :nervous:, I just wanted to be able to reduce or increase damage taken by a particular ship or subsystem regardless of damage type.
The idea was to keep things as simple as possible, so I added an armor_value (and shield_armor_value) attribute to ship and ship_subsys, then factored that in after all other damage calculations when applying damage.

Basically, instead of calling set-armor-type "Heavy Armor 80" "Whatever", which requires its own table entry, you would call set-armor-value 80 "Whatever".

Regarding the code, it's somewhere on my github fork, sitting in its own branch, let me look it up.

EDIT - There's the relevant commit (I think). And the branch itself.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I'm afraid it's not really anything fancy like that actually  :nervous:, I just wanted to be able to reduce or increase damage taken by a particular ship or subsystem regardless of damage type.
The idea was to keep things as simple as possible, so I added an armor_value (and shield_armor_value) attribute to ship and ship_subsys, then factored that in after all other damage calculations when applying damage.
...Ah. Significantly less interesting (from my perspective, wanting to rewrite damage handling), but much more practical and a lot easier to implement.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Rheyah

• Will release something one day. Promise.
I er..

Gave the Orion some beams.  I replaced its main beams with the Hecate ones.  I like it.  It looks pretty.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am

very interesting indeed
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip

If you find the way to do this conversion  .tie to .fs2, would be amazing   :nod:  , good luck sir   :yes: