Poll

Which do you prefer?

Flexible width forums that take up 100% of your browser width
75 (80.6%)
Fixed-width forums that take up a pre-defined pixel width (960)
4 (4.3%)
I don't care... really!
14 (15.1%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Voting closed: January 07, 2011, 04:02:47 pm

Author Topic: Forum Width?  (Read 10130 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I'd appreciate everyone's input in this poll. Thanks!

Flexible-width example: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/
Fixed-width example: http://www.hard-light.net/

SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Personally I use 2 different sized screens.  I really hate when I'm on a site that doesn't adjust and leave space on the sides especially when I have to scroll to see pics.

Oh and since we have to maintain retail hardware spec compatibility that fixed with would have to be 640x480 wouldn't it?  :warp:

Also the warp smiley needs a transparent background.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
flexible please, if that's not too much of a problem.
el hombre vicio...

Flex. I mean, as long as we're upgrading for security purposes, we may as well take the time to implement  and adapt to new features (if useful, as this one is IMO).
"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein

Offline ABetterWay

• ???
Flexible 100%

Its much easier to read on different devices that way.

-ABW

Flexible 100%

Its much easier to read on different devices that way.

-ABW

I second that.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i cant really tell the difference
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The Flexiforums appear to win by a landslide.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
The dial up vote probably isn't in yet.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Flexible.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I don't think this poll was accurate enough. When Sandwich says flexible width that takes 100% of browser width, he literally meant it as such.

You see that there are no empty sides like there are in default SMF theme. While width of those empty sides could be smaller, I personally prefer some empty space on sides as opposed to none at all.

Actually, I merely haven't gotten to that part of the templates yet. There will be sufficient white-space on the sides, don't worry. :)  - Sandwich
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 10:00:02 am by Sandwich »

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I'm with Fury on that one. A 10/20 px margin of padding on left and right for a variable width format would be cherry.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
While that would be an issue on some forums with the no avatar and only short comment under the name I don't see it as a problem here.  You can still move the mouse to one side and scroll without hitting other scroll bars. 

Basically, as it currently is. Flexible, with some margin on the sides. It's perfect.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
tbh I'd prefer a much smaller margin than we have now and than we had on the old theme. Makes more efficient use of space- at the moment we're wasting 138 pixels for the forum border, and 38 more pixels for the borders between that border and the actual post. Sandwich's pic wastes around 2 pixels, at least that I can see. Something around 10-15 pixels on either side would be alright, but honestly, the less the better.

Oh and, flexible, obviously. Fixed-width forums are a broken design in and of themselves imo- using less than the available space for no reason at all (or more than the available space!) is not a good design by pretty much any standard.

Flexible, for those netbooks. < 960 screens are actually quite common.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
As I added to Fury's post above, I merely haven't gotten to that part of the templates yet. There will be sufficient white-space on the sides, don't worry. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
Eh, I read HLP on several devices - 1920x1200, 1024x600 and 640x960 (Monitor, rooted Nook Color and iPhone 4 respectively). Flexible thus preferred.
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline -Sara-

Flexible please, I got a high resolution. Defined pixels x pixels typically fill half the screen for me or others who run on a similar resolution. Fixed sizes work for blogs and bulletins, not for forums I think.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 03:02:18 pm by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Given that it's 42 to 1 with 7 snuffies, I'd say you can probably stop voting now :p
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp