Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2675588 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: A celebration of Freespace
Tilemapping is a terrible performance hog, too. A single UV'd ship will outperform a tilemapped ship all day every day. It's why the HTL Sath has a lower performance hit than the retail Sath.

That said, use what you need for your campaign.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
It's kinda amazing how a frickin 63MB POF outperforms a retail asset.
Perhaps its a testament to how much tilemapping sucks.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Dude. Overused? I've not seen the Reyena used once. At all. Anywhere.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
It reminds me of how ShadowGorrath kept saying the GTI Asteria is Overused.
I haven't seen it used. Anywhere.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
But it's in a few unreleased mods - I have model made espacialy for that role, that's enough. I don't understand why I should use old model when I have new one, for me as good as old frigate.

Tilemapping is worse in a few aspects like optimalisation, but it makes model easier to fit to your expectations. For example, I want to use Solaris but I can't. It's textures don't fit to purpose. I need a good texture artist to make new textures or someone who can do remapping. For uvmapping ship with one texture, we also need texture artist. Of course, we can make ships with single texture - HTL Boreas has only one main texture [+ a few for turrets and "damage" added by Woo].

And please, don't remind me the HTL Sath. It's a cool model, RGA_Norris made a great job with it but it has terrible [in my opinion] textures. Too candyish, like anime-inspired. Totally unlike orginal Sathanas. Tilemapped HTLs like Orion and Hecate are keeping orginal character and feeling of the model. Current Sath don't look scary :P. Of course, a lot of HTL remakes of orginal ships have a decent textures, like Aten, Iceni, Colossus or Hades. Kudos to VA and Galemp.

Conclusion: Type of mapping doesn't matter for me. I'm old-school Freespace player and modder, important for me is keeping old-school look of ship but with details and all graphical news that SCP can provide.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Whatever you think of the HTL Sath textures, any problems you have with them have literally nothing to do with the fact that it's UV mapped.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:40:00 pm by General Battuta »

Offline Qent

Tilemapping is worse in a few aspects like optimalisation, but it makes model easier to fit to your expectations. For example, I want to use Solaris but I can't. It's textures don't fit to purpose. I need a good texture artist to make new textures or someone who can do remapping. For uvmapping ship with one texture, we also need texture artist. Of course, we can make ships with single texture - HTL Boreas has only one main texture [+ a few for turrets and "damage" added by Woo].
This is a good summary of why I love tilemapping.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
We should take all the HTLs we have now and tilemap them, especially the Medusa. And all new HTLs should be made in TrueSpace for good measure.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
lol betrayal doesn't like the htl sathanas

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, it's not the only HTL Sathanas FSU is making, so he could just use the other one.
I like them both.  :)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
lol betrayal doesn't like the htl sathanas
Correction: I don't like it's textures. Mesh is pretty cool.

Whatever you think of the HTL Sath textures, any problems you have with them have literally nothing to do with the fact that it's UV mapped.
Whatever you say, for me character and feelings of the ship are more important than optimalisation.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Whatever you say, for me character and feelings of the ship are more important than optimalisation.

Do you have a problem with reading comprehension? What I just said makes it clear that your issues have nothing to do with UV mapping.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

Do you have a problem with reading comprehension? What I just said makes it clear that your issues have nothing to do with UV mapping.
Hmmm. I didn't understeand you correcty. Sry, fault of my bad english. It's mapping is good, ony needs a new textures in my opinion.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Okay cool, sorry I was so snappy.

Offline Luis Dias

I had this idea about a completely alien mothership, which had giant mechanical eyes that could follow any ship they wanted, which could be made if said eyes functioned as turrets, and it would have a very queer encounter with a terran armada, possibly "judging it", explaining what the shivans are up to, some kind of "epic" (rofl) story background to that.

It would be terrifying.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Kind of like the GTVAngelion.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The Shivans also had their own. I forgot what it's called, though.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
The Shivans also had their own. I forgot what it's called, though.

Count Shiva if I remember correctly
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
The eggheads are telling me to stop talking about the Ancients ... they have told we to stop showing pictures as well - I'm the one who pays the bills I can talk about the Ancients all I want! AND MORE PICTURES!
(even if the pictures are just showing models, background and lighting)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 01:35:22 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
A Dyson Sphere in the background?