Author Topic: grab you pills and prepare for a coronary  (Read 23221 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
grab you pills and prepare for a coronary
my laptop would do it :thepimp:
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Remember I said I was doing a mission for this? Well, this is the UNfinished product. I can't work on it for about a week thanks to exams. So I thot I'd let people play with it and see what happens.

Copy and paste this link: http://www.geocities.com/lionrampant31uk/lightmission.zip

:devil:
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline RandomTiger

A really good addition (I reckon) would be if shivan ships glows changed in intensity as time passed. Though you would want a seperate variable for each so they arent all in sinc.

Wouldnt be that hard to do.

I have fallen of a bit on the source coding aspect of the community and then got in quickly on the current release as well as Bob's fs_open_glow release. The glow affects were great and added a surealism to the game i havent seen or felt since first playing the demo back in 99.

then came the black water op;s demo, as soon as i was able to, seeing as how the team made ambient lighting to give impressions of TRUE space lighting, with the shadows and what have you, WHICH I HAVE YET TO SEE MADE ANY DEBUT IN THE ORIGINAL GAME, inspired me to do something more drastic. implementing the star.tbl from BWO AND effects while utilizing bob's glows.

the resulting effects were how do you say... wow.

I had deimos pics too but those i have to relocate or repic. cause i cant find em, but u guys get the point. it even dawned on me to say have missions in space for example where, theres nothing but darkness... and all u see is the lasers, laser trails, and the ship glows... :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2003, 10:48:46 pm by 382 »

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
Can you do that with the background? or is that a trick of the glow err.. light... (I never noticed it in that demo??? )
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Originally posted by LAW ENFORCER
Can you do that with the background? or is that a trick of the glow err.. light... (I never noticed it in that demo??? )

I'm going to take gamble that its a trick: Make a veeery small sun and place it at the same coordinates of ur background.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Anaz

hmm...as a wild guess, try making a *bg name*-glow.pcx for your background image...
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
no he just set a sun bitmap to that spiralthingy what he is doing is showing off the glowmapp effects + non ambiant lighting,
BTW I enabled the ambiant lighting tag found in all mission so if it's set to 0 there will be no ambiant light (or it should be working)
so most missions should look better (darker) already, but I'm not sure if it worked or not
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
emmm.... I meant the mulitcoluored stars..... they ARe multicoloured right?
All mine are white I have never heard it mentioned that that could be done (prop becasue its so simple:rolleyes: )
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Wow, amazing effect.  Now we just need someone to do glow textures for any applicable FS2 default textures (i.e. all shivan ones and t/v light tiles) so that we can all have the same effects :D
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I did that already
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
*gasps* :eek2:

*immediately starts working on the Lucifer textures*
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

yea bob already did the standard ships except cargo ships and i think hi-res maps. althought the low res works the same...

use the lucifer fs1 textures there the original and look and will look better....

the ambient lighitng was done with the ambient_dark function in the stars.tbl for BWO. although i dunno how to do it normally using normal fs_open functions, but basically even if it had no sun @ the same coordinates of the ambient lighitng, all u see is the shadow, and a light going on direction and blur where there is darkness.

thats why i added the sun in the galaxy to simulate light coming out of there... but i think the ambients are adding the best new effects to date with the glow maps..,

the on/off glow map function would be ingenious...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Duh, I should have read the beginning of this thread a bit more carefully.  I'll say though that I ran into a problem with the code, it just randomly crashed to the desktop after a few minutes, though I couldn't begin to tell you why.  It was in a big custom battle sequence, so perhaps it s something unrelated to the glow code though.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
that's kind of an old copy of the glowmapping, I beleve this is the more up to date version less prone to crashing
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
got it to work - turns out it was a bad pof.  Anyway, did we ever get that funny effect in nebular missions removed?  It's rather odd-looking...  That debug version you linked to doesn't seem to want to open.  It found some bugs in my ships.tbl that hadn't caused problems up to that point, and then it just decided that it didn't want to run at all.  So, I'm stuck with funky neb effects until the next build I guess.

EDIT: Also noticed one bad graphic bob's glow map pack, the Hatshepsut window and black scaly was all goofed up so I fixed it up.  here you go.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2003, 03:34:16 am by 570 »

Offline J3Vr6

First and foremost, I'm trying to get glowmaps on OpenGL.  Phreak posted a thread that he got it working after the initial release and I'm not sure if he posted a program for the use of glow in opengl.  If anyone knows if there was an exe released with glow for opengl, would you be able to direct me to where it could be?

Alright, I've downloaded the glowmap packs (I've d/led every single one in this thread and overwrote the old ones from previous d/l) and placed them all in my main freespace 2 directory.  I've tried several of the fs2_open and debugs and I still seem to be unsuccessful in getting the ships in the tech room to look like the ones here.

I d/led the debug that's dated 1/18 that Bobboau mentioned as more stable and I was able to get into the main hall. But when I went into the tech room the menus came out to be big, dark blue blocks without any text. The ships came out but some rendered and some didn't. When I exited the techroom (via the esc key) it went to a black screen.  Maybe this one doesn't support OpenGL?  Or maybe my drivers aren't up to date?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.
;)
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
try fs2/data/maps
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Scoob

after i enter into my name i get kicked out and i get this:

Assert: ship_count <= MAX_SHIP_TYPES
File: D:\Games\projects\freespace2_public\fs2_open\code\Playerman\ManagePilot.cpp
Line: 522

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    read_pilot_file()    player_select_close()    game_leave_state()    gameseq_set_state()    game_process_event()    gameseq_process_events()    WinMainSub()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 77e814c7()
------------------------------------------------------------------

what is that????:wtf:

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you need to make a new pilot

also I cannot test OGL, that build is ether entierly done by PhReAk or has no suport at all, the revamp of glowmaps I did I had to change some OGL stuff blindly (GLOWMAP changed to  GLOWMAP, it isn't an array anymore), so  may have broken it but I havn't heard about it if I did, and I did ask if it was still working.
try doing it in d3d mode insted
« Last Edit: January 29, 2003, 06:35:58 pm by 57 »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3