Poll

Scary or not?

Give me a pillow to hide behind...
9 (25%)
Lights down, surround sound up, hit me!
27 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: January 04, 2003, 05:27:27 am

Author Topic: Movie Tastes  (Read 15690 times)

Offline wEvil

• The Other Good Renderer
    • http://www.andymelville.net
but it is a good movie...I quite liked the storyline concepts and the general visual style was amazing.

Out of interest what did they give SW2:AotC?

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Sheesh, do I have to do everything for you?

The special effects were the only remarkable thing about Event Horizon. The plot was utterly unoriginal, consisting primarily of a mishmash of Hellraiser and The Shining, with bits of Dead Calm  and any random "trapped with a homicidal maniac" movie. Even the ship "Event Horizon" was unoriginal, being basically a goth version of the "Discovery" from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

On the plus side, it gave us a lot of funny reviews mostly dedicated to picking out all the flaws and implausibilities in the story.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline diamondgeezer

Heh, I almost forgot about this thread
Flaws and implausibilities? In a movie set in the orbit of Neptune, aboard a space ship that had returned from Hell with some sort of presence? Nah...

Unoriginal plot? Fair enough. But it does the job. Unoriginal ship design? Meh... it's still sexy. Aldo did an EV based model a while back... we didn't say it was unoriginal, we told him it looked cool because that was the most important thing about it :nod:

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Good gods, I hate to agree with ZylonBane, but damn. You have to try hard to make a movie that sucked worse than Event Horizon. The special effects weren't even that good (what happened the CG->Film integration? I fell off the sofa laughing at how unrealistic it looked).

The highpoint of EH was the fact that it ended.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline wEvil

well good for you - i fell of the chair laughing at SW:AotC and there were even quite a few horrible peices of CG in LOTR2.

unfortunately most of you seem to be so spoilt you can't actually appreciate the good aspects of most films - nor do many of you have a clue about how hard it is to actually make a good movie.

Now, its very hard to come up with an origional idea these days - as evidenced by the mindnumbing amount of soap opera directed "entertainment" floating around the airwaves - and you just said yourself its a fusion of styles, and I think it does that very well.  You didnt like it, fair enough - but that doesnt automatically make it a terrible film.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by mikhael
You have to try hard to make a movie that sucked worse than Event Horizon.

I disagree - I don't think they tried very hard at all with Battlefield: Earth, and it is pretty much The Epitome of Suckiness. :ick
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Sandwich
I disagree - I don't think they tried very hard at all with Battlefield: Earth, and it is pretty much The Epitome of Suckiness. :ick

But... I loved Battlefield: Earth!!

Ok, that had to be said. By the way, I lied.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Originally posted by wEvil
Now, its very hard to come up with an origional idea these days [...] and I think it does that very well.
That's just it... it didn't do it well. The plot was an aimless mess. The characters behaved illogically and stupidly. ("Hey, I think I'll stick my hand in the hyperdrive!")
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by wEvil
well good for you - i fell of the chair laughing at SW:AotC and there were even quite a few horrible peices of CG in LOTR2.

SW:AotC was worth laughing at indeed.  LotR had a couple of bad CGI->Film integrations, but lets face it: its a story flick, not a CG flick. The story carries the film, and the CG is mostly irrelevant.

unfortunately most of you seem to be so spoilt you can't actually appreciate the good aspects of most films - nor do many of you have a clue about how hard it is to actually make a good movie.

Its one thing to appreciate how hard it is to make a good movie, and quite another to look at garbage like Event Horizon and actually delude one's self that it is a good movie. I haven't the foggiest clue what exactly I'm supposed to be spoiled by, unless you're referring to the sudden proliferation of incredible "art" from Hollywood? Excuse me whilst I vomit.

Now, its very hard to come up with an origional idea these days - as evidenced by the mindnumbing amount of soap opera directed "entertainment" floating around the airwaves - and you just said yourself its a fusion of styles, and I think it does that very well.  You didnt like it, fair enough - but that doesnt automatically make it a terrible film.

Event Horizon was a bad film on its own merits. The laundry list of incredibly bad decisions that led to this blasphemy being foisted on the viewing public is long, but the hilights are as follows:

Bad writing
Bad acting
Bad direction
Bad musical score
Bad effects integration
Bad pacing
Bad internal consistency
Bad idea

Please, defend something worthy of your effort.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline wEvil

Originally posted by mikhael

Bad writing
Bad acting
Bad direction
Bad musical score
Bad effects integration
Bad pacing
Bad internal consistency
Bad idea

Please, defend something worthy of your effort.

The plot was OK...not the best, but it was ok.

Acting was reasonable, please give specific examples

Direction was excellelent IMO

Musical score went well with the plot, what more can you ask for?

Effects integration was as good as the technology allowed - i've seen far worse contemporary examples

Pacing?  If you ask me that goes hand-in-hand with direction, see above

Consistency leaft a little to be desired

Bad idea?  subjective.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Styxx
Ok, that had to be said. By the way, I lied.

Thank goodness. :D

Has anyone mentioned Mission To Mars yet?
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Setekh
Thank goodness. :D

Has anyone mentioned Mission To Mars yet?

Didn't watch it. I was sufficiently traumatized by Red Planet. :D

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

I could say "Worst. Ending. EVAR.", but I don't think that would quite do MtM the justice it really deserves. ;)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Heh - I was the other way around - saw MtM, but not RP.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Razor

I saw 007 while I was away on my holiday for the past few weeks. It's funny and quite good. There were some quite good scenes though. In the beginning when Bond walks over to that guy that carried "the ice", they capture him and Bond takes his sun glasses and gives him a weird smile. And that line: Hey boss, he broke your record!

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
They're showing Bond movies every week here in Sydney. I just realised; Scaramanga (The Man With The Golden Gun) is Saruman (Christopher Lee)!! :D

Well, it made me laugh. ;)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Sandwich

Heh - I was the other way around - saw MtM, but not RP.

same here. Btw, Steak ( rah, long time didn't call you that way :D ), you think MTM ending is bad? There's oh so much worse ( armageddon, etc ) :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by venom2506
same here. Btw, Steak ( rah, long time didn't call you that way :D ), you think MTM ending is bad? There's oh so much worse ( armageddon, etc ) :p

Ohhhh, Armageddon. :lol: I think I walked out of that and went to play FS2 instead (I was watching it on TV... bad decision). :D

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Setekh
I could say "Worst. Ending. EVAR.", but I don't think that would quite do MtM the justice it really deserves. ;)

Bah, now I have to watch it. I love bad endings. :D

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Bah, now I have to watch it. I love bad endings. :D

:lol:

Why don't you pick up Street Fighter, while you're at it? :D