Poll

Scary or not?

Give me a pillow to hide behind...
9 (25%)
Lights down, surround sound up, hit me!
27 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: January 04, 2003, 05:27:27 am

Author Topic: Movie Tastes  (Read 15694 times)

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
I dunno. I like scary movies, but they don't generally scare me. After that time period when the most traumatizingly terrifying thing to me was the monsters from Gremlins (about age 8-12), damn few things could manage to be scarier than myself with the chainsaw.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by venom2506
Thief is hella scary, the catacombs... hehehe... return to wolfenstein castle's catacombs, next to it, it's the muppets :p

The way you guys descibe things is hilarious, I'm reading through what's meant to be a scary topic and I start laughing half-way through. :p

Alright, I'll do it... I'll get SS2. Wait - should I get SS1 first?
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Levyathan

• That that guy.
No. First Shock 2, then Shock 1.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by CP5670

If anyone sits on any of my math books, i'm gonna to tear them apart; they really asked for it... :mad: :D
*Remembers picture that CP put up in the "Post Your Ugly Mug" thread*

:lol:
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Meh - I'm a wuss; Option 1. I just don't get any real enjoyment out of jumping in my chair, or lying in bad after a movie with scenes going through my mind, unable to get to sleep... :nervous:

On the other hand,  commanding an APC through the streets of Jenin, with grenades and makeshift explosives going off on top and all around the vehicle, bullets pinging off the sides, etc etc... wasn't all that scary. Neither was disarming live mines in a hornet-ridden minefield, come to think of it.

*thinks back*

Scariest movies I've seen (to clarify, I haven;'t seen any of the Alien series, any Texas Chainsaw Massacre, nor  The Ring, Others, or even Silence of the Lambs/Hannibal. I know - poor, deprived me. Bah.) was when I watched Event Horizon and Sphere back-to-back one boring saturday on base. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
See Alien. Giger is a god among really, really creepy men. He's the one guy who's ever made an anthropomorphic alien work, I think.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Levyathan
No. First Shock 2, then Shock 1.

Logic would say the other way around. Logic is a pretty girl, she smells good as well. I love her, she knows all my weak points ( oh yeah, right under the shoulder, yes, YES! )
I'd say get Thief first, anyway.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Logic would be wrong. There are some games, like the Fallout series, where getting the first helps figure out what's going on. There are some, like Syndicate, where the first is downright better. And then there are games where the second is just the first, vastly improved. FPSes generally fall under category 3.

Offline Levyathan

• That that guy.
Logic would say the other way around.

Have you played both of them? I have, and there are reasons why I suggest going for the second one first.
I'd say get Thief first, anyway.

Thief's nice, but it's not at the same level as System Shock. It kind of gets boring after the first couple of missions, to tell you the truth - not to mention the undead missions. Those are simple and pure pain. Someday I might give it another shot.

Offline 01010

Originally posted by Sesquipedalian
*Remembers picture that CP put up in the "Post Your Ugly Mug" thread*

:lol:

I though I was the only one that noticed that :)
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Have you played both of them? I have, and there are reasons why I suggest going for the second one first.

guess what? I've played only the first one, and I stopped after about 10 minutes. there's some games, you just can't pay them nowadays

Thief's nice, but it's not at the same level as System Shock. It kind of gets boring after the first couple of missions, to tell you the truth - not to mention the undead missions.

"slaps levy-etc with a trout" there's things you can say, and others you can't. you can't say this one.

Thief's great, it's my favourite FPS ( if it can be called a fpS :doubt:  ), and maybe my favourite game ever, nothing can compare to it.
"can't wait for thief3"
"remembers he still has not been able to get his hand on thief2"
"goes in a dark corner, crying quietly"
"france sucks and doesn't deserve a "F" "
"stops spamming"
SCREW CANON!

Offline Levyathan

• That that guy.
guess what? I've played only the first one, and I stopped after about 10 minutes. there's some games, you just can't pay them nowadays

See? You didn't even have to ask for one of those reasons - you discovered it by your own. It seems your logic betrayed you.

And I see you consider graphics an important factor in games. That's sad at least, really.
"slaps levy-etc with a trout" there's things you can say, and others you can't. you can't say this one.

This is getting pretty lame. If you can't spell my name you shouldn't even be allowed to talk in the first place.
Thief's great, it's my favourite FPS ( if it can be called a fpS :doubt:  ), and maybe my favourite game ever, nothing can compare to it.

It's your right to have that opinion. It's my right not to agree with it. If you can't understand that, you should move to a cave and block the entrance.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Sandwich
I haven't seen any of the Alien series...

:eek: :eek:

Ok, you can tell us you were joking now...
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Nuclear1

Originally posted by Sandwich
I haven;'t seen any of the Alien series

:eek:

You..... die..... now

:D

Seriously, rent Alien.... then Aliens. Do not rent Alien3 or Resurrection. Though it has Bill Paxton, Aliens is really really good.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Ah. I'll nominate Alien as one of the scariest movies ever. I mean, it didn't QUITE make me **** myself like Gremlins did, but that alien was damn cool. I mean, LOOK AT IT.

Creepy, eh?

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
hey! that's carl's little bother!
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Originally posted by Setekh
Alright, I'll do it... I'll get SS2. Wait - should I get SS1 first?
You should, but you might not like SS1. It's definitely not for everyone. Aside from the dated graphics (which some superficial graphics-whore types can't get past), it's a pre-mouselook game with lots of keys and no remapping. But if you can handle all that, it has fantastic level design, plotting, and voice acting. Also, playing through SS1 makes a certain level in SS2 *much* more significant and enjoyable.

PS-- Thief and System Shock are completely different types of games. They're both excellent.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline Levyathan

• That that guy.
If he plays System Shock 2 first he'll have a higher chance of enjoying Shock 1 - although that last part of the first paragraph is indeed true.

Offline Anaz

Originally posted by StrykeIX
Ah. I'll nominate Alien as one of the scariest movies ever. I mean, it didn't QUITE make me **** myself like Gremlins did, but that alien was damn cool. I mean, LOOK AT IT.

Creepy, eh?

iiinteresting...that is someone's avatar at another site I visit...
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
If he plays System Shock 2 first he'll have a higher chance of enjoying Shock 1
Explain.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.