Poll

Scary or not?

Give me a pillow to hide behind...
9 (25%)
Lights down, surround sound up, hit me!
27 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: January 04, 2003, 05:27:27 am

Author Topic: Movie Tastes  (Read 15686 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Setekh
On a bit of a tangent, though, I wonder if anyone could make a genuinely frightening FreeSpace campaign. I'm not sure it's possible...

Hmm... maybe if somebody remade the FS1 campaign, they could do it really scarily... that might be really cool. :)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I guess Playing Judas was the closest to 'scared' I've ever gotten while playing FS/ST/FS2. Into The Lions' Den... well, I didn't really have to change my shorts. ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Man, you guys are a bunch of wusses. :p  I first saw Predator when I was 8 and it didn't even phase me in the least. (I saw the uncensored version, with Carl Weather's arm getting blown off in great bloody detail and everything. :D)

Then again, Britney Spears is one scarey b***h. :p
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I guess Playing Judas was the closest to 'scared' I've ever gotten while playing FS/ST/FS2. Into The Lions' Den... well, I didn't really have to change my shorts. ;)

Agreed, I think.  On both counts.  :)

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com

I find that scaring, not 'scary' (if that kind of distinction can be made). On a bit of a tangent, though, I wonder if anyone could make a genuinely frightening FreeSpace campaign. I'm not sure it's possible...

Sorry, Steak. I have a pretty messed up head.

Now you want to talk about scary in GAMES, well, hands down: System Shock 2. Man. That game scared the hell out of me.

If they had been able to take the deeply disturbed fear that permeated the FS1 intro and injected it into the actual campaign, that would have made for the best space-combat game experience ever. Sadly, the lack of personal involvement prevented any type of real, genuine emotional response.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Anaz

if only :V: had used #Alpha1 as a message source more...
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by mikhael
Sorry, Steak. I have a pretty messed up head.

Now you want to talk about scary in GAMES, well, hands down: System Shock 2. Man. That game scared the hell out of me.

If they had been able to take the deeply disturbed fear that permeated the FS1 intro and injected it into the actual campaign, that would have made for the best space-combat game experience ever. Sadly, the lack of personal involvement prevented any type of real, genuine emotional response.

Oh, no, not at all dude... I think the news is genuinely frightening when you consider it for a while. When my Dad turns on the TV to catch a news report, he says, "Well, let's see what today's bad news is!".

Ah yes, SS2. I've heard a lot about that over the years from Styxx. ;) Oh, and a couple of sound snippets hear and there... in a way, I'm glad I've never experienced that game.

And yes, yes, I'd completely forgotten about the FS1 intro, but I agree entirely. Damn... well, it's something to remember for future campaigns, I guess.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
I think SS2 would probably be scarier for me if the textures didn't invert, giving me this low-res, psychedelic-looking everything. That kinda sucked.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by StrykeIX
I think SS2 would probably be scarier for me if the textures didn't invert, giving me this low-res, psychedelic-looking everything. That kinda sucked.

:wtf:

Should I ask?

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
in a way, I'm glad I've never experienced that game.
Wha-wha-whaat??? :eek:

You've never played System Shock 2? Sweet fancy Moses man, snag a copy ASAP!
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
It's on HOTU for free. Again. Cutscenes are coming shortly, and if ya want them, I can pass them on when I get them.

Be sure you have all the right graphics cards and ****. I think that's what screwed up mine.

Offline Borealis

• Resident Blonde
Originally posted by LtNarol
Damn! Never thought I'd say it but for once I concur. :lol:

Option 2 naturally

Originally posted by Stunaep

Quiet, you! :D

:p @ both of you...gah we always know when y'all are pretending :D

we just play along and pretend we don't
;7
In God we trust.  All others must show data.

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Hmm. Probably won't be on HOTU for long... I'm pretty sure you can still find SS2 in stores as part of the EA Classics line.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

For me, The Ring is the only movie that actually freaked me out.  Even though the plot was kinda dumb, static on the TV still freaks me out.

Now Resident Evil  wasnt scary, kinda made me laugh.  It scared my dad though :wtf:
Don't make any effort.  Just do everything really half-assed.  Thats the american way!!!

"The lobsta claw's gonna get ya!"~Harry from 3rd Rock From the Sun

meh...movies have never really scared me...I have yet to watch one that genuinely freaks me out...I have an annoying habit of being unable to forget that what I'm watching isn't real. I can't get into the movie.

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa
Originally posted by lobsterclaw
For me, The Ring is the only movie that actually freaked me out.  Even though the plot was kinda dumb, static on the TV still freaks me out.

That's it!

*Opens Kazaa*

If some of you say The Ring is that scary, I gotta see it. What's the story BTW?

Spoiler:
I forget a lot of it, but basically this dead girl is mad and makes all this bad stuff happen.  A big part of it is about this tape that has her on it.  If you have seen the adds its the part where the little girl comes out of the well.  Anyway, 7 days after watching the movie, your TV turns on and she comes out of the well and out of the TV screen and kills you.  Like i said, kinda a weird plot, but it spooked me pretty good.  I'm getting paranoid just talkin about it:nervous: ......
« Last Edit: January 05, 2003, 04:27:18 am by 725 »
Don't make any effort.  Just do everything really half-assed.  Thats the american way!!!

"The lobsta claw's gonna get ya!"~Harry from 3rd Rock From the Sun

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by ZylonBane
Wha-wha-whaat??? :eek:

You've never played System Shock 2? Sweet fancy Moses man, snag a copy ASAP!

Yeah, sorry. I was going to pick it up, but before I bought it, I had the pleasure of discussing it with Styxx... after which I thought I'd better stay away from it till I had some time to play games in daylight, when I was safe from being completely freaked out by SHODAN. That time... well, it stretched out a little... :o

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by mikhael

On the other hand, I do love movies that are scary and suspenseful and dark and moody. I thought that "The Others" was a brilliant film, for example, and it scared the unholy hell out of me at once point.

YES!! The Others is a very excellent film.

At this point I will have to mention "The Silence of the Lambs" again.

"The Silence of the Lambs"

as far as games go, I've not played SS2 (yeah I know, but nowhere is that in sale, guess it's time to look for unorthodox sources), AvP was really, REALLY, scary, and Undying was good too (and long, yes)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2003, 05:58:55 am by 390 »
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey