Poll

Scary or not?

Give me a pillow to hide behind...
9 (25%)
Lights down, surround sound up, hit me!
27 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: January 04, 2003, 05:27:27 am

Author Topic: Movie Tastes  (Read 15692 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by venom2506

no it's not. source code doesn't mean the game is free now :p there' still copyrighted art, etc, in  it.

What Goober said. I can't believe you missed that whole thread, Venom. You disappoint... :doubt:

:p

Seriously, there's a clause in the Liscence Agreement when you install FS2 (it's not in the readme though) that you can freely distribute copies to friends and aquaintances on a non-profit, noncommercial basis.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Sandwich

What Goober said. I can't believe you missed that whole thread, Venom. You disappoint... :doubt:

:p

Seriously, there's a clause in the Liscence Agreement when you install FS2 (it's not in the readme though) that you can freely distribute copies to friends and aquaintances on a non-profit, noncommercial basis.

my bad :p
here's your proof noone is perfect, not even me. No, there's no need to suicide yourself, believe me, you'll get used to that pain :D
SCREW CANON!

Offline Anaz

erm...venom...suicide isn't a verb...
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
English aint his first language, i cant speak french, i just draw during that lesson :D
Got Ether?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Suicide is Latin... :lol:

sui = oneself, cide = kill --> the act of killing oneself :nod:

Offline Anaz

Originally posted by Goober5000

Suicide is Latin... :lol:

sui = oneself, cide = kill --> the act of killing oneself :nod:

yes, but in the english I learned, you commit suicide, you don't suicide.
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Right.  You commit the act of killing yourself.  You commit suicide (not you, personally ;)).

Offline Levyathan

• That that guy.
In Portuguese it's both a noun and a verb. Depends on how you use it.

Not that it matters, just felt like sharing it.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Levyathan
In Portuguese it's both a noun and a verb. Depends on how you use it.

Not that it matters, just felt like sharing it.

Same in Hebrew, as well. I think it's just us messed-up English speakers who have it as a noun only. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Same in Hebrew, as well. I think it's just us messed-up English speakers who have it as a noun only. :p

Come to think of it, you're probably right.  Cide is already conjugated in Latin, after all.  Il suicide - he kills himself.  Hmm...

But being half English, I'm proud of my crazy language and all its idiosyncrasies.  After all, when was the last time a barbaric language became the de facto world standard? :p :lol:

Offline Levyathan

• That that guy.
I don't think the reason for that is the language, though.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I know - that's what's ironic about it.  The language is probably one of the most complicated in the world to learn, so strictly on an ease-of-use/ease-of-learning ranking, it would be near the bottom for non-native English speakers.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Goober5000
I know - that's what's ironic about it.  The language is probably one of the most complicated in the world to learn, so strictly on an ease-of-use/ease-of-learning ranking, it would be near the bottom for non-native English speakers.

No "probably" about it - it is the hardest to learn. But that's what gives it its versatility and immense capabilites, allowing one utter freedom in self-expression and verbalization. :p

:nervous:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
No "probably" about it - it is the hardest to learn. But that's what gives it its versatility and immense capabilites, allowing one utter freedom in self-expression and verbalization. :p

:nervous:

Yay!  A rich and storied language have we before us. :nod:

Now all we need is Sesq to wax poetic about the nuances of ye olde Anglishe. :)

(but aren't Chinese and some Eastern languages harder than English?)

Offline Levyathan

• That that guy.
No "probably" about it - it is the hardest to learn.

I wouldn't say that. I wouldn't say that at all.

Look at this simple example of verb conjugation. I'll take the verb to talk as a model.

English:
I talk
You talk
He/she/it talks
We talk
You talk
They talk

Portuguese:
Eu falo
Tu falas
Ele/Ela fala
Nós falamos
Vós falais
Eles falam

Not to mention all the past and future forms. While in English you just add ed to most verbs when it's past and will before it when it's future (with some variations), in Portuguese it goes like this (I won't put all past and future forms, there are many of them):

A past form -
Eu falei
Tu falastes
Ele/Ela falou
Nós falamos
Vós falastes
Eles falaram

A future form -
Eu falarei
Tu falarás
Ele/Ela falará
Nós falaremos
Vós falarais
Eles falarão

Another past form -
Eu falaria
Tu falarias
Ele/Ela falaria
Nós falaríamos
Vós falaríeis
Eles falariam

If I find a grammar book around I'll torment you to the rest of eternity with Portuguese verb conjugations - I don't feel like typing any more right now. Also, I'm not too sure about the vós (which is the plural of you) conjugations. When Styxx reads this he'll be able to correct me and add all the missing forms (I hope).

Offline Levyathan

• That that guy.
And on a side note, this has got to be the most derailed thread in history.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

No kidding? That's cool! :cool::yes:

Hey, Mike... how do I send you some money? :o
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
If I find a grammar book around I'll torment you to the rest of eternity with Portuguese verb conjugations - I don't feel like typing any more right now. Also, I'm not too sure about the vós (which is the plural of you) conjugations. When Styxx reads this he'll be able to correct me and add all the missing forms (I hope).

A future form -
Eu falarei
Tu falarás
Ele/Ela falará
Nós falaremos
Vós falarais
Eles falarão

Ok, on the examples you posted the only error is the one in italics - the right form is "Vós Falareis".

:D

Oh, and:

http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~emilianp/conver/conver.cgi?falar

You'll notice that there are 12 different conjugation forms in portuguese.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

I wouldn't say that. I wouldn't say that at all.

Ok then, try reading the following by Mark Twain - English made logical:

A 20-year plan for the Improvement of English Spelling
by Mark Twain
For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.
Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli.
Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

And check out this page. Convinced?

Originally posted by Setekh
Hey, Mike... how do I send you some money? :o

"No cost basis", dude. :)