Poll

Scary or not?

Give me a pillow to hide behind...
9 (25%)
Lights down, surround sound up, hit me!
27 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: January 04, 2003, 05:27:27 am

Author Topic: Movie Tastes  (Read 15684 times)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
After talking about movies for a while with my brother and sister (the conversation arose for some reason... forget why), my sister said something which made me think...

"[about horror movies] I just can't believe someone would even imagine these things... it's terrible, I hate seeing them..."

I personally can't handle scary movies - the purposefully scary ones like The Exorcist, Silence of the Lambs, The Haunting - though I can handle 'occasional scares' in movies like the LOTR series. ;)

Anyway, I myself don't know anyone who really really likes horror movies... then I thought of you guys. :D Out of curiosity, do any of you guys like horror movies? If you do, why? And if you don't, why not?
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa
Horror movies like "The night of the living dead" or "Braindeath" makes me laugh. But the Hannibal Lecter trilogy was sometimes pretty scary indeed.

And I'm not scared to watch dead bodies or blood or mutant zombies but those BANG! places, where some big piece of junk jumpes out of the corner freak me out...

Offline 01010

Typical American teeny slasher films are laughable, they rely on the easy scare, only problem being it's been done to death and you can predict it a mile away nowadays.

I found that the best kind of horror films are the ones that you can relate to in some way. Like The Blair Witch Project, I could relate to being in the woods at night and hearing "things" so that film frayed my nerves quite a bit. But "Scream" and their ilk nah.
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Ten of Twelve
And I'm not scared to watch dead bodies or blood or mutant zombies but those BANG! places, where some big piece of junk jumpes out of the corner freak me out...

No no, neither. I mean those really horrifying ones. The ones that send a shiver down your spine, and make you paranoid whenever you walk through dark places... :nervous:

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa
Originally posted by Setekh

No no, neither. I mean those really horrifying ones. The ones that send a shiver down your spine, and make you paranoid whenever you walk through dark places... :nervous:

Britney Spears?

Offline Fetty

when i first watched jurrasic park i was scared of velociraptors i didnt wana close my eyes when going to sleep :nervous:
but yes britney has my vote :D

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Ten of Twelve
Britney Spears?

Dude. Talk about adding a whole new dimension to fear. ;)

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
I get paranoid in urban environments after playing too many FPSs. any window could contain a sniper.
:nervous:

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon is DA BEST!!!!

Hannibal was more sort of a black humor film. I don't consider them as much horror movies, as psychological thrillers. Horror movies have zombies/vampires/britney in it. But SOTL was, well one of the best movies I've ever seen. It's good to watch it alone from a tv, because it not only makes you thrilled and scared as hell, but it also makes you wonder about stuff and the world and so on. It's also good to watch it in a cinema, on the last row, with a freaked out girlfriend at your side.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I don't like most horror movies - but for a different reason. They aren't scary, they're funny! The mere sight of the little girl bouncing up and down on her bed screaming "make it stop" didn't horrify me, it mildly amused me.

However, the Exorcist did scare me. But not for the right reasons - I have a deep fear of medical equipment such that was used on the girl to see what could be wrong with her. I don't know why but it just freaks me out. Suffice to say I fast-forward past those bits whenever they come on. The rest of the movie? Really not that bad...

Suffice to say, I don't really like horror movies. Not unless there's another element to them. But Silence of The Lambs wasn't a horror movie to me - I enjoyed that.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Stunaep
Horror movies have zombies/vampires/britney in it.

I always wondered what defined the genre. :D

I don't mind horror/scary stuff with a purpose. A Clockwork Orange or Event Horizon, for example. LOTR stuff scares me in a different way - more in an awesome way - and I think the stuff which scares you more is that which makes you wonder about the terror that comes from human nature - twisted, maniacal. :shaking:

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
I normally ignore horror movies, but I did go see The Ring recently. Very creepy, even though it got a little cheesy near the end.

On the other hand, I vastly enjoy spoof horror films like Night of the Creeps, Return of the Living Dead, Pandemonium, Evil Dead series, et al.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

I never watch many horror movies anyway, i jsut end up trying to guess who the bad guy is etc instead of watching the film.

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Offline Nuclear1

Four movies:

Alien
Aliens
Alien3
Alien: Resurrection

The first one scared the absolute living hell out of me (I actually soiled myself :o )

I love any movie thats supposed to be scary; Sixth Sense, SOTL, Predator..... the list goes on and on
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
depends. The Ring ( the original one, thank you ) was really... disturbing :p
I like a lot.
Movies like braindead are funny, but then again, that WAS the main purpose, braindead was meant to be funny ( little quizz, who made braindead? :D ).
SCREW CANON!

Offline 01010

Originally posted by nuclear1
Alien3
Alien: Resurrection

No no no no no. No.

No no no no no no no no no, Alien was classic thriller/suspense/horror, Aliens was classic balls to the floor action film.

Alien3 and Resurrection were, well, horrible really.
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.

Offline 01010

Originally posted by venom2506
depends. The Ring ( the original one, thank you ) was really... disturbing :p
I like a lot.
Movies like braindead are funny, but then again, that WAS the main purpose, braindead was meant to be funny ( little quizz, who made braindead? :D ).

Wasn't that a Sam Raimi/Bruce Campbell film?

Offline Nuclear1

Originally posted by 01010

No no no no no. No.

No no no no no no no no no, Alien was classic thriller/suspense/horror, Aliens was classic balls to the floor action film.

Alien3 and Resurrection were, well, horrible really.

oh.... yeah. :D forgot bout that.... :lol:
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by 01010

Wasn't that a Sam Raimi/Bruce Campbell film?

no, that's evil dead.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by venom2506
( little quizz, who made braindead? :D ).

Peter Jackson.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey