Poll

Scary or not?

Give me a pillow to hide behind...
9 (25%)
Lights down, surround sound up, hit me!
27 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: January 04, 2003, 05:27:27 am

Author Topic: Movie Tastes  (Read 15687 times)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Stunaep

Peter Jackson.

yup :yes:
yeah, I find that funny, so what? :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
good, now I want my cookie.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Borealis

• Resident Blonde
I really only like horror movies with a supernatural or alien premise to them.  Slasher flicks put me to sleep.  The more realistic the effects and the more the background info ties in with RL the more I'll get absorbed.  And of course there must be plenty of action and explosions.  :wink:

And a freaked out boyfriend at my side is great fun too (even if I know he's just pretending ;7 )
In God we trust.  All others must show data.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Originally posted by Borealis
I really only like horror movies with a supernatural or alien premise to them.  Slasher flicks put me to sleep.  The more realistic the effects and the more the background info ties in with RL the more I'll get absorbed.  And of course there must be plenty of action and explosions.
Damn! Never thought I'd say it but for once I concur. :lol:

Option 2 naturally

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by Borealis

And a freaked out boyfriend at my side is great fun too (even if I know he's just pretending ;7 )[/color]
[/B]

Quiet, you! :D
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Give me a pillow.
Preferably a titanium pillow with a mini-shivan bodygaurd and laser cannons.
Although a regular pillow would do fine :D
Although "gotcha" scenes, or scary suspense scenes in non-horror movies are fine.

Offline Hudzy

• Apollo Pilot
I don't like stuff with werewolves in it. :nervous:

Offline Dark_4ce

• GTVA comedy relief
I for one love horror movies for some odd reason! I love it how something visual can create a feeling of unease and FEAR, even tough you're in your  own living room, you still get that feeling of impending doom. I for one always get TOO into a movie anyway. Be it any movie. But only rarely do I hide behind a pillow during a TRUE Horror movie. IMHO a true horror movie are those that stick in your mind afterwards and freak you out. Not teeny slashers nor gore movies. Those are fun but forgetable (except Evil Dead series or PJ's Brain Dead and Bad Taste). I Personally also consider Thriller and horror movies seperate very thinly, having true horror movies being the ones that freak you out, disturbing you, and being afraid, such as the Exorcist (for some), The Ring (for others) and basically any movie that would keep you awake at night. I consider classifying any movie a Horror movie just a personal label really, cause what might frighten some, might bore others...

Anyway, the only time I recently remember hiding behind a pillow is when I watched the Original of "The Ring". That freak the living **** out of me so much that I really was afraid of the TV for a while. And even now, everytime the tv goes into static, I expect a well to appear and the freaky girl starting to walk out the TV. :shaking: Even the american version worked well, though it was drastically different in story. But still worked.

This doesen't mean I don't like Teeny slashers or Gore movies or shock movies. I love them too, cause they still make you scared. And to me that like horror movies being interactive. You become part of the action, instead of just viewing it and yawning. And this is probably partly why I get so into movies. Cause it makes me feel part of it...

Yeah, I know. I'm weird. But its nowadays part of my job. :D
I have returned... Again...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I wonder if anyone else caught this...I nearly laughed out loud :)

Originally posted by nuclear1
The first one scared the absolute living hell out of me (I actually soiled myself :o )

Originally posted by venom2506
depends.

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
I so far haven't seen any viable point in scary movies other than to make all of us paranoid war machines (?) so I go for the pillow...
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
scary movies are ok.. I'm kinda more at the suspense/meaningful end.

Signs comes to mind although It wasn't really a horro movie, it had the feel kind of.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa
Originally posted by Knight Templar
Signs comes to mind although It wasn't really a horro movie, it had the feel kind of.

Oh, oh, oh, forgot that. One of the best horror movies I've seen. :D

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
Yeah, kept me thinking for a long time. You couldn't really tell that the water had anything to do with anything until the end when the director/character mentioned the lake and going there.

Why Gibson's character felt the need to go into the house was beyond me.. and then he was talking to it like an idiot. :doubt:

Still was a good movie though. And the sounds effects were awesome with the high pitched alien background noise thing. :D

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
I don't think I've ever seen a horror movie: there hasn't been a flick yet that is more disturbing than the things in my own head and/or the nightly news.

On the other hand, I do love movies that are scary and suspenseful and dark and moody. I thought that "The Others" was a brilliant film, for example, and it scared the unholy hell out of me at once point.

I also like films that suck me in and make me forget the real world. To date, there's only been two of those (FotR and tTT, natch. :D)
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
BOOO!
Did I scare anyone? :nervous:
I know a film has scared the Jeebus out of me when I lie in bed afterwards listening to every little creak and crack. The strangest effect was Resident Evil giving me a dream... :wtf:
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
Was it of a naked girl?

Actually, res evil wasn't that scary.. more action and stupidity. not as much scary.

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
For a thread about overall movie tastes, I'm seeing only horror films mentioned :p

Now two good black humor comedies are:
Dr. Strangelove- It has nukes, that strange Kubrick twist, and more subtle humor than you can shake a stick at.
1941- Airplanes, makes fun of the American mindset, and one unforgettable line: "HOLLYWOOD!" Also has Christopher Lee playing his exact same character in LoTR and StarWars :p
Hopscotch- You get to learn what FBI really stands for. ;)
The Producers- Mel Brooks, enough said.

Yes, both of these are completely "unamerican" movies, but they're entertaining! ;)

I also like it when a movie goes one direction and then logically flips onto it's side.

Minority Report is a good example of this, the first hour of the movie as far as I care could be burned, but then the last half hour the entire movie takes a sudden turn and is very entertaining. Sadly the rest of the movie is a slow and painful exposition leading to the plot twist and the real movie after it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2003, 09:27:52 pm by 72 »
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Originally posted by Ace
For a thread about overall movie tastes, I'm seeing only horror films mentioned :p
This thread ISN'T about overall movie tastes. :rolleyes:
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Meh! Consider it derailment then :p
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by mikhael
I don't think I've ever seen a horror movie: there hasn't been a flick yet that is more disturbing than the things in my own head and/or the nightly news.

I find that scaring, not 'scary' (if that kind of distinction can be made). On a bit of a tangent, though, I wonder if anyone could make a genuinely frightening FreeSpace campaign. I'm not sure it's possible...

PS. Good derailment, Ace :p
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.