Author Topic: Freespace 2 FTP Server - HOTU 2 Full  (Read 175200 times)

Offline Fractux

Well to let everyone know, a tree branch fell outside and ripped the wires, so my phone lines don't work but, for some reason, the modem is still working.

So they are coming today to repair the lines, expect the server to be down most of the day.

I repeat, the server will be down today.

See, even in our basements we are not immune from good ole mother nature, though I think those pesky squrrels may have had somehting to do with it. :rolleyes:

Cheers!
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

Offline FA-PILO

Originally posted by Fractux
Well to let everyone know, a tree branch fell outside and ripped the wires, so my phone lines don't work but, for some reason, the modem is still working.

So they are coming today to repair the lines, expect the server to be down most of the day.

I repeat, the server will be down today.

See, even in our basements we are not immune from good ole mother nature, though I think those pesky squrrels may have had somehting to do with it. :rolleyes:

Cheers!

And can you tell me when will be avaible the server please :(
GTD AQUITAINE

Offline Fractux

The server is back up now. It's status will be displayed in the first post.

Cheers!

Offline Fractux

I've set up an account for modem users so that they don't take up a slot that can be used by those with a broadband connection.

Modem users take heed. :D

Cheers!

Offline Fractux

Well I`ve trashed the modem account.

The account was set up with a max of 5 KB/s, and give the broadband users a bit more bandwidth, and have 1 slot for the slow modem users, since I`m working with splitting up about 30KB of upstream bandwidth, but from my test yesterday, it seems that modem users are not bothering to read this, or not understanding. So I`ve put up the three slots at 9.1 KB/s. I my reduce it back to 2 again depending on the activity in the next period, and those with broadband will get more bandwidth if I do so.

Offline FA-PILO

the FTP it dont accept me it ask me for the password and i dont know what to do please help me with this
GTD AQUITAINE

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I suspect you're not logging in anonymously. Have a look for that option in your FTP program or simply enter anonymous as your login and a (fake) e-mail address for your password.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Ok, I've tried it once more. It is now 1:30 AM. It still didn't work. I'm tired, I'm going to bed. :P
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline J.F.K.

Thanks for your help, Fractux :)
[font="SerpentineDBol"]. . . . W H O . I S . T H E . M A N , . W H O . I S . T H E . M Y T H ?[/font]

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Right now I'm back at home from the university. Until next term, I won't have access to snailnet. For about a month, I'll be stuck with snailnet (and  I can't even leave it on all night or all day). So, I'll have to wait until I go back to pester Fractux about giving me a temp account.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Fractux

Just to let everyone know, the server has been going up and down because we've been reconfiguring the network. Once this is all finished then I'll post the new details in the first thread.

For now, the ftp server will be going up and down once in a while.

Cheers!

Offline FA-PILO

Hey guys i want to thank you for upload the VP´S and let me tell you than there are seven missing CB anims:

cb_loop-a_a
cb_loop-a_b
cb_loop-a_c
cb_loop-a_e
cb_sm1-08_a
cb_sm1-08_b
cb_sm1-08_c

i dont say than this is the end of the world but i what to tell you this guys

GTD AQUITAINE

Offline Target

http://www.replacementdocs.com/docs/PC/Descent%20-%20FreeSpace%202%20-%20Manual.pdf

Heres a pdf copy of the manual. Might not be a bad idea to put this on the server as well.

Offline FA-PILO

Hey guys i what to ask you something very important its about the cutsenes
 I CAN SEE THE MOVIES CAN YOU TELL ME WHY

i download the campaing and the FS_open and even the Divx codec and i can see anything went i try to play it in the  Technical Data Base cutsenes stage can you tell me why  do i need
GTD AQUITAINE

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
This bit is in my FAQ but I think it's a good idea to post it on this thread too.

HOW DO I VIEW THE CUTSCENES IN FS2_OPEN?

When Volition released the source code for FS2 they were forced to rip out the code for playing MVE format movies for copywite reasons. This means that FS2_Open can't play the cutscenes that came on the CDs. However new code for playing anything you can find a codec for has been added.
 The cutscenes have been converted to avi format and can be found on Fractux's FTP server.

Unfortunately getting the cutscenes to work isn't as simple as bunging them on your hard drive. It's relatively painless though if you follow these simple steps.
  • Put the movies in your FREESPACE folder. Don't put them in data. Don't put them in data\movies.  Even if you run freespace with the -mod switch they won't work if you put them anywhere except in your main Freespace folder.
  • Download this file. Unzip it and stick the file inside your freespace\data\missions folder.
     That's an updated version of the campaign file with the names of the movies altered.

• Download the DIVX codec if you don't already have it.
  • Use the launcher to run FS2_open. In the Custom section type -dshowvid
  • Hit run.

Offline FA-PILO

i all ready do that but it dont play the movies
 in the tech data base cutscenes i dont reach to the first movie in the campaing
GTD AQUITAINE

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Hang on a sec. You're trying to play them through the tech room? That won't work. It can be made to work if you download this table.  It's just the cutscene table with all the links renamed to .avi instead of .mve. You may have to play through the main campaign again to reactivate the movies.

Do you at least see the intro movie when you start up FS2_open? If you don't see the movie then something is wrong with your installation (play the intro movie in Media player and tell me if that works).

If you do see the intro movie in FS2_open the problem is simply that the game was looking for .mve files it couldn't play.
If that works but the cutscenes don't run from the tech room try

Offline Cruzz

Originally posted by karajorma
Do you at least see the intro movie when you start up FS2_open? If you don't see the movie then something is wrong with your installation (play the intro movie in Media player and tell me if that works).

I don't see any of the movies either, but fs_open ain't working that good either so it's not that big a loss :rolleyes:. You think the problem might lie in my pc not actually having the divx codec as I'm using ffdshow for my decoding needs?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I used Divx 5.0.5 for the cutscenes. You might have an earlier version. Or as you say the problem might be due to that.

Offline FA-PILO

I have all you recomend me to have but the movies do not work event the intro do you know why

may be if i type in the cutsenes the location of the movies it will work?
let me try and i tell you later
GTD AQUITAINE