Author Topic: Freespace 2 FTP Server - HOTU 2 Full  (Read 175222 times)

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Originally posted by Kosh
TYPE A

perhaps if you set it to binary instead of ASCII?
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
that means try again. or if it still keeps not working, try again later

Figures.......
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
:)  hey just trying to help buddy :D

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
i still cannot freaking connect to the damn server

Code: [Select]

Connecting to gaming.playnow.ca port 6969
Connected, waiting for response...

and it sits there foreever
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline HotSnoJ

• Knossos Online!
    • http://josherickson.org
Is it just me and my computer or is the rar version of sparky corrupted on the server?

[EDIT]My bad, I downloaded the wrong one, so I still had my corrupted vp.
I have big plans, now if only I could see them through.

LiberCapacitas duo quiasemper
------------------------------
Nav buoy - They mark things

Offline Fractux

Originally posted by Kazan
i still cannot freaking connect to the damn server

Code: [Select]

Connecting to gaming.playnow.ca port 6969
Connected, waiting for response...

and it sits there foreever [/B]

Make sure you are using passive mode with your ftp client and are loging in with the username 'freespacer'. If that's not it, then it's a problem with your network setup.

Cheers!
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
Fractux:  at that poiint possive mode doesn't matter
and it's not a problem with _MY_ network configuration since that computer is the only one I have problems connecting to

but now suddenly it's working without changing anything on my puter

therefore it was teh server

Offline Fractux

Originally posted by Kazan
Fractux:  at that poiint possive mode doesn't matter
and it's not a problem with _MY_ network configuration since that computer is the only one I have problems connecting to

but now suddenly it's working without changing anything on my puter

therefore it was teh server

Chill out man, It wasn't a personal attack.

Since other people were connecting to the server without a problem, and you couldn't, then there was definitely not a problem with the server.

That's why I mentioned your network setup.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
well the server isn't stable

next time you go to say it's the other persons system messing up perhaps you should take into consideration the fact that some people here have many years of expirience with computers and have formal training in things ranging from comp sci to networking

when you talk to them and make a statement that makes the assumption that they haven't checked their network settings it tends to insult them

Offline Fractux

Okay I'm going to start off with this:

next time you go to say it's the other persons system messing up perhaps you should take into consideration the fact that some people here have many years of expirience with computers and have formal training in things ranging from comp sci to networking.

When you talk to them and make a statement that makes the assumption that they haven't checked their network settings it tends to insult them

Once again, I was not calling you tech abilities into question.

But if you are going to say that telling a person who knows about network setups that there could be a problem on their end is insulting, than I'm afraid that the real problem is that your ego is much too easily hurt.

Because all it was intended as was a runthrough of what the problem could be because people have been connecting to the freespacer account without a hitch since October 7th.

well the server isn't stable

Actually, the server is very stable. As I mentioned before in this thread, the FS FTP server used to be on my box, and I was not leaving it up 24/7 prior to Oct.7th. Since then, it has been up almost 24/7 (it was rebooted once).

Usually people will not be able to connect for because all of the slots could be full. (which is generally the case)

And I'm going to end this on one final note.

THE DAMN SERVER IS FREE, SO IF YOU WANT TO ***** ABOUT ITS STABILTY OR HAVE 24/7 ACCESS, FIRST SEND ME SOME CASH TO HELP PAY FOR IT.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2003, 07:54:51 pm by 1248 »

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
*hand hovers over "lock thread" option*
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Fractux

I just added some additional notes to the first post.

Just in regards to filezilla users, to please disable the keep alive system so that you don't get temporarily banned for staying connected to the server while idle.

Cheers!

Offline J3Vr6

Why isn't using Internet Explorer not recommended?
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline J3Vr6

Also, I put in Freespacer and it asks for a password...
-Tricky

-Brian, Family Guy

Offline J3Vr6

Great.  I finally get in (using Filezilla) and it bumps me out b/c of too many users :(

EDIT:  D'oh! I guess I should have edited my first post.  Sorry folks!

EDIT (2):  I finally got in, but I get the following error when I try to download the FS2 Avi's or Rar's of the movies:

Status:   Starting download of /Freespace_2_Movies/AVI_storage/bastion.avi
Command:   TYPE I
Response:   200 Type set to I.
Command:   PASV
Response:   227 Entering Passive Mode
Error:   Could not open the local file \bastion.avi
Error:   Download failed

Any idea what that means?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 11:04:01 am by 1046 »
-Tricky

-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Fractux

Originally posted by J3Vr6
EDIT (2):  I finally got in, but I get the following error when I try to download the FS2 Avi's or Rar's of the movies:

Status:   Starting download of /Freespace_2_Movies/AVI_storage/bastion.avi
Command:   TYPE I
Response:   200 Type set to I.
Command:   PASV
Response:   227 Entering Passive Mode
Error:   Could not open the local file \bastion.avi
Error:   Download failed

Any idea what that means? [/B]

You can't download bastion.avi anymore, now it's bastion.rar.

I left the original avi files in the directory for storage, assuming that people were going to download the .rar files since they are slightly smaller.

Actually I moved the avi files into a folder called avi storage, but I forgot to hide it, and just as we speak someone is downloading the avi files again, instead of the rar files.

Why? I don't know. The size difference on some is negligable, but I'm going to hide that directory after anyways.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 04:05:25 pm by 1248 »

Offline J3Vr6

That's me, oops.  Sorry.  I'll begin d/l the rar's.  I didn't see a difference and didn't think it was going to work, either.  But it's working now, thanks!

Ok, downloading the rar's.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 04:11:21 pm by 1046 »
-Tricky

-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Fractux

Originally posted by J3Vr6
That's me, oops.  Sorry.  I'll begin d/l the rar's.  I didn't see a difference and didn't think it was going to work, either.  But it's working now, thanks!

Ok, downloading the rar's.

Glad it's working.

Cheers!

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Someone help me out here because it's Monday morning and I'm teaching Prolog to undergrads. So my brain is fairly swiss cheesed. I own Freespace 2. Fairly obviously, since I've been on these boards for 9 billion years.

So if I want a 100% complete and working backup of my treasured FS2 disks where do I go. In bullet format. So I don't have to trawl through the whole of this thread.

Thanks guys. Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum and all that...

Edit: Out of interest, can I just clone the CDs I have? :o
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Fractux

If you have your original CD's don't bother downloading anything from the FTP server. There is nothing new there you don't already have.

So, if you want backup copies, open up your CD Burning sofware, and then click on the "COPY CD" option that should be present in mostly all CD burning software made for Windows.

Very simple proceduce. Read the help files included with your sofware if you are unclear, that's what they are there for.

Cheers!