Author Topic: Freespace 2 FTP Server - HOTU 2 Full  (Read 175199 times)

click the link under my name for a more complete reference then anyone here can individually give you..

but aside from trying to get the (illegal) converting software yourself, you're best chance is to either wait, or ask someone who has the avi's to transfer them to you...
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline JarC

Originally posted by kasperl
...but aside from trying to get the (illegal) converting software...
I'm a bit confused about this...I understood that anything to create mve's is illegal, but I've never seen the same statement been made about players utilizing existing, published code...yet.

If Interplay is so deadset on its rights on the format, than I suspect I can safely assume that publicly available descriptions of the format, still present on the web today, are not violating their copyright...otherwise they would habe been forced to take this down by now, not?

FWIW, about half an hours worth of googling found sourcecode for a demuxer and a player readily available from various locations.
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

erm, anything decoding the MVE's that isn't made by Interplay is illegal. Any owner of published info on the format should have been sent legal letters, according to history.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline JarC

Well, appearantly these guys either never got one, or theirs is legal...according to the site's changelog it's been up since december 2002...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 12:24:05 pm by 106 »
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

click the link under my name, and go to the SCP section. look up the movie questions, go, now.

IT IS ILLLEGAL

Offline Striker

FIRST POST.
Yeah I'm not gonna waste youre time making my own "look at me I'm new and stupid" post. And sorry if you already answered this question earlier in this thread, but right now Im on a tight schedule and I dont have that time. I'm "making my one legal backup copy" of FS2 and "accidentally leaving it at my friend's house", along with two other CD's full of mods. i assume you guys get what I mean. Anyway, my Tango1.vp on the CD is corrupted, so I cant get it onto my comp for burning. I know its MASSIVE, but if its possible at all, could someone give it to me? I have no IRC or site to give you an upload to. That sentence probably proves I have no idea how IRC works, but...yeah. So could anyone do this as a favor? FS2 fan to FS2 fan? Hopefully its legal. But knowing the law, its not. Just wondering...
...lurk

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Actually you can make as many copies as you want for your friends perfectly legally because there is a clause in the EULA that lets you. :)

Anyway :welcome:

If you manage to sort this out get your friend to join up here too :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Striker

THanks, I'm sure he will. I let him borrow my copy of FS1 and he liked it so I'm giving him FS2. He'll most likely join, I already gave him the address to the site. I just wish I could get that Vp. It sucks that you cant put this up on the FTP anymore. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps.
...lurk

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
I'm getting a connection with the server could not be established error
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Fractux

Server's up again.

Reorganizing the files though.

Cheers!
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

421 Server is closed, no more connections are allowed.

What's going on?
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline Fractux

You can get that error if the server is full, or if it's going to shut down soon , Which it does sincee it's still not yet back on the dedicated server.
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

as of july 1, 2004 22:00 GMT ftp://[email protected]:6969/ apears to be off-line. is it just me or is it actualy down? or are too many people using it?
"It's going critical! Quick, to the backyard bunker!"

Nevermind

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Welcome to HLP, pence128. :)

:welcome:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Thanx :)

Offline CZZ

Hi

Can some one help - how do I get the stu_fs2.vp file. I believe that changes the language from my German copy to English?

thanks
CZZ
Stay Cool. Hang Loose, Admit Nothing!!!

Offline Cire

• http://www.jonplanet.tk
Hi, first I wanna say thanks for the great FTP, it makes freespace 2 much better than the lobotomized, featureless HOTU version. I'm having one problem, though, and that's with the movies. I downloaded them, in .zip format, and when I try to extract them with WinRAR, it gives me the following error:

!   C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\freespace_2_movies\intro.zip: Unknown method in intro.avi
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\freespace_2_movies\intro.zip: No files to extract

Is there any fix for this, or will I have to download the files again? Hopefully not, as I'm stuck on a 56k modem and don't want to do another overnight download....
"'I'm not stupid!' In Bean's experience, that was a sentence never uttered except to prove its own inaccuracy." -- Ender's Shadow

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Hmmmm. Sounds suspiciously like a corrupted download to me unfortunately. You could try another program (or if you're on ME or greater try windows own unzipping functions) and hope it's a little more fault tolerant than winRAR.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I'm having the same problem as Cire. The movies won't decompress. I've tried using Window's own decompression function, WinRar, Winzip, and even StuffIt. They all give me the same message that the files have an unknown decompression format. I find it unlikely that both Cire and I had all 11 of the movie files corrupted during download when other Freespace 2 files I downloaded in the same session are fine.

I'm thinking the files were either compressed in a format none of the above programs can read, or they are corrupt. Is there any other way of getting these movie files (other than the obvious)? Could they be re-uploaded to the ftp server by some kind soul?  A response from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.