Poll

How does fs2_open perform on your system with the retail data?

I get good framerates even with other features turned on
35 (53%)
I get acceptable framerates with other features turned off
3 (4.5%)
I get acceptable framerates (30 fps or more) which occationally drop when things get intence
20 (30.3%)
I still consistantly get poor frame rates with htl (less than 30 fps)
5 (7.6%)
Unplayable even in htl (post specs)
2 (3%)
Htl does not work at all on my machine (please give full details / report in mantis)
1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Voting closed: May 13, 2004, 12:26:49 pm

Author Topic: htl performance  (Read 7307 times)

Offline RandomTiger

Is this with htl *on*?
If so what frame rates do you get in non htl?

Offline J3Vr6

Originally posted by RandomTiger

For this poll we are interested only in results from the default data. If everyone is playing from a different set of data the results are meaningless and will not help us make good judgements.

And I was all happy that I got to play HTL :(  Ok, I'll run the test your way and tell you on Wednesday.  Going on a business trip, yuck.
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

if you are haveing bad loading problems try turning off the comand line -PCX32, I'm thinking it's causeing more slowdown that I origonaly thought

This is only if you don't have sufficient vram right?  Because it plays around the same speed with it off or on and the loading jitter still occurs.

For this poll we are interested only in results from the default data. If everyone is playing from a different set of data the results are meaningless and will not help us make good judgements.

If I'm using the 3.5.6 VP and all of Lightspeed's effects, playing the main campaign, this doesn't count as default?  If not, what would be considered "default"?

@pyro-maniac

Something is seriously messed up with your settings (or you didn't turn on htl) because it runs faster on Setekh's system which is half the specs of yours.  Also, my system is fairly close to your specs (a little better) and I get framerates of over 80 when staring at empty space and it never dips below 40 (not including the load jitters).

It worked pretty well actually. I was expecting to see lots of tearing.

Yeah, I used to turn off vsync too before I got the ti4200.  It never really was a problem.

One more thing.  Is ambient lighting back in the SCP?  Cuz the latest builds seem to have it on.  Is there any way to turn it off (or at least reduce it)?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 04:40:54 pm by 998 »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm using a Radeon 9800 however.  I never really expected to have to turn it off in the first place but I managed to get the frame rate to drop below 30fps playing Homesick several times so I turned it off.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Is this with htl *on*?
If so what frame rates do you get in non htl?

That's without HTL. Turning on HTL has a tiny effect on it, but not enough to make it playable (perhaps 1 or 2 fps faster at most with things on-screen). Also tried all the launcher tags that are supposed to speed it up, but no effect. Dunno what's going on. I've tried re-installing, but the same happens. It's only been happening since the shinemaps were implemented - versions before that work fine.

This machine is shagged - fullish HDs, old install of windows (about 2 and a half years), but I can get good framerates on other games, so I dunno.

I wouldn't worry too much - I'm getting a new machine in a month, so I'll not be touching this'n again. And it's getting formatted soon, so I'll try again when that's done.
Any fool can pull a trigger...

I get an average fps of around 80 with everything on, but it drop dramatically sometimes.  For example, when a wing of ships warp in for the first time in a mission, I get almost a 1 second pause in gameplay.  Are the ship models uncached and dynamically loaded in FSSCP?  There also seems to be some large memory leaks, because I get "low virtual memory" when playing for more than a few missions at a time.  Come to think of it, that may be why I get the loading pauses... virtual memory !  :p

Anyway, I would just like to say great job on the performance increases with HT&L
SCOOB
Melee Combat Demigod

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Official: HT&L Performance
i don't think 80fps is average ;)  but i have a feeling models aren't being cached properly on startup.  coupled with some inefficient handling of the model format in HT&L, slowdowns can occur.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

average fps = arithmetic mean =)  so it's not just me with the loading pause, it's SCP?  Does turning off -PCX32 really get rid of them?
SCOOB
Melee Combat Demigod

I'll post up how it goes without PCX32 on in a while.

At the moment;
With the latest Bob Build - 74 FPS in Open Space not looking at anything (games doesn't give a crap about how much is actually "ingame" as long as I'm not looking at it... which is kinda nice).
Look at any model using the closest textures (Distance, so largest textures) and this instantly drops to 37 FPS.
If said target is damaged (eg; venting plasma or whatever that fire stuff is meant to be :P) it can drop to as low as 12 FPS.

FPS Stutter is the BIG and annoying problem I was talking about, you have to understand the level at which I tend to play this game ....so even a slight FPS "shift" during a dogfight (when I get the person in my reticle) = me annoyed.

Of course, this is with;

512mb PCI 3200 DDR.
GF 5200 FX *haunts bob*
AMD Athlon 2400+ XP.
WinXP (Same problem seen on Win98SE, but, actually slightly worse)

Running all of the bells and whistles (of course, maybe I expect a lot but still, how many times over the original recommended FS2 specs were? - I remember being able to play fine on a PII 350 with 4 or 8mb ATI memory card).

Currently 1024*768*32 with, litterally, ever non-debug/coder/etc option on ('cept fps).

TBH, I don't mind playing the game with 20 FPS solid as long as it doesn't jutter on that kind of resolution.
Possibly even 15.
Like I said, I'll turn PCX32 off and check again in a bit.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Mav

About the warpin-thing - for me it drops from ~20-40 fps to about 10 spf (seconds-per-frame) when something warps in or there are some shockwaves (also from weapon impacts, though not so severe there); so I guess it might be a prob with the loading of anis.
Am not sure if this is with HT&L, though (I'll try another EXE later; mine says 'unrecognized commandline parameter -htl, continue', but in the main hall it displays '... D3D HT&L' :confused: ; btw. it's Bob's 03_15 as well as one of his env builds which both do this alike [the spf prob included])

Oh, and don't take the performance figures too serious, I'm using some other cmdl parameters as well as using some sort of mod;
I just wanted to post my idea of the anis propably being the problem. ;)
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

It smoothes slightly with PCX32 off.
Needs a little tweaking though, currently it's probably the difference between winning or losing a duel against someone close to (but below) my skill level...
Incidentally, turning off /all/ the other options hardly effected the FPS hit whilst dog fighting :/
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by Mav

I just wanted to post my idea of the anis propably being the problem. ;)

Its known and will be sorted at some point.

I get shnazzy details with awesome framerates.

Offline Mav

Rebuttal originating from the wisdom of RandomTiger

Its known and wilt be sorted at some point.

Nice then. :)

Btw.: I'm just learning C++ (having worked through ~1/3 of my beginner's book), maybe I could be of a little help to this project at last. :)  (though sorrily not very much, I don't haveth much time :(  and am already working in the WCS team)
In the meantime: Just keep going, SCP's great. :yes:

... And excuse my bad old English, sirs ;) .

---hey, that's automatic!!! :shaking:
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Rebuttal originating from the wisdom of Mav
Btw.: I'm just learning C++ (having worked through ~1/3 of my beginner's book), maybe I could be of a little help to this project at last. :)  (though sorrily not very much, I don't haveth much time :(  and am already working in the WCS team)
In the meantime: Just keep going, SCP's great. :yes:

From what I've heard SEXP's are a good place to start since they are quite simple apparently :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mav

Thanks. I'll look into it when I get the time.:)
(though don't expect that to happen too soon... :( )
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics

Offline Mav

Originally posted by Mav
... Am not sure if this is with HT&L, though (I'll try another EXE later; mine says 'unrecognized commandline parameter -htl, continue', but in the main hall it displays '... D3D HT&L' :confused: ; btw. it's Bob's 03_15 as well as one of his env builds which both do this alike [the spf prob included]) ...

OK, it was with HT&L; I yesterday found somewhere around these forums, that HT&L is now on by default and the commandline parameter was changed to '-nohtl' if you want to turn it off. That worked for me - I got only 4-15 fps with -nohtl instead of 20-100 without it. (I guess I won't use non-HT&L anymore :ick: ; though it seemed that those ambient lighting I heard of somewhere over the board is disabled there - it looked way better, especially the cap-ship explosions :( )
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!

It does double the amount of VRAM and system RAM used to store textures. If either of your RAM sizes arent up to it you will expereince slowdowns.

I've got 128 of VRam and 512 of DDRAM. And I still get jitters. Normal?
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey