Author Topic: Freespace 2: First Person Shooter  (Read 46413 times)

Freespace 2: First Person Shooter
Yes that's right people! Freepsace 2 as a first person shooter. What do you think would come from this awesome idea? I mean, really! It would be awesome! And if I wanted, I might even be able to make it happen for all you folks who own a copy of Aliens vs Predator. But anyway, what would your ideas for a FPS or a TPS be for a Freespace game?

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Well, a Red Faction mod was started - then aborted.  The role of FS ground troops is never really elaborated, though.  Could set it in the T-V war (fighting Vasudans), or the NTF rebellion (fighting the NTf in burned out cities).  Any missions with shivans would need to be set on ships, natch.

Unless Shivan's were boss's, OR you had some high explosives with you. I think THAT would rule. But I would more or less like there to be a time period deal, where you start off fighting vasudans in the T-V War, and then it jumps ahead to the NTF Rebellion. After wards, you get to battle more NTF and Shivans... Oh yeah...

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Where would you fight shivans exactly and how did you go to that particular place? Who could possibly be THAT stupid to challenge a shivan?!?!? :D And why?

T-V war would be better... although... what kind of weapons do they use?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

#1) You would find Shivans on a ship... duh...
#2) The difficulty for battling Shivan's would have to be dumed down for the sake of playing the game. Just like Aliens vs Predator 2, the Preds and Aliens were dumed down from the movie.
#3) Battle them because they are there...

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Flamethrowers and elephant guns. You'd need something that powerful to pop a Shivan. Or armour-piercing shotguns. Or plasma guns. That'd be cool... ;7 (Ooh, and Starship Troopers-style micro-nukes! Yeah! :D)

Against NTF you'd have the usual assault weapons, and something similar against Vasudans as well, I'd imagine. Oh, and an Unreal 2-style shotgun. :nod:

If you can get some staff, then go for it! I'd be great fun. I'd offer to help, but I have no skills and I'm up to my eyes in work...
Any fool can pull a trigger...

I think it would be best to start something from scratch for a FPS. Use an existing engine, like Unreal 2003, and then just build levels for it and character models. I cant do anything cept' level design.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
You'd need something that powerful to pop a Shivan

Or a mini-gun from AvP 2 since it throws out lots of armor piercing bullets.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
*cough rocket launchers cough*

Marine 1:OMFG a shivan! Open fire!
Marine 2:OMFG its not working!
Marine 3:OMFG get the spunker!
Marine 4: Im comming dammit! *takes aim* *foom* *plooie*

Marine 1: OMFG
Marine 2: ewww....

well, that, or hit weak spots on the shivan exoskeleton. Joints, eyes etc.
imagin, when the shivan charges its beam, put a cap in his face....

ouch...

even though the troops role was never really spelled out...i think  the community has enough creative ability to make somthing cool out of them...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 08:22:14 pm by 1243 »
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Well, in Hallfight it took several minutes of concentrated fire from 5(?) troops to bring one Shivan down.......

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
The machine guns didn't do anything. It was the one marine chick that either self-destructed her gun or shot a grenade at one (hard to tell, either way, her gun blew up) that killed it.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

She shot a grenade at it with her high-powered rifle, and then the Shivan's slaughtered everyone else with their little white blade thingies. But yeah, Shivan's would be an AWESOME foe to fight. But those weapons were ONLY 32 years old then the ones they have now. The same marine design would be neat, but you have to have more high-powered rifles in order to kick more ass. Something like a mass driver would just KICK ASS. Like a mounted rifle which fired a high-velocity slug at a target. BIG damage to a Shivan in that instance. OR, it would be something like a rifle that took 1.5 seconds to refire, but it was powerful enough to kick ass, like impale humans against the wall. We can build off this, however...

Offline Drew

hit weak points dammit! amagin blowing off a shivans leg, and watch it crawl tward you
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
.::Tin Can::. When I asked where someone would fight a shivan... you didn't exactly tell me what on earth would someone be doing in a shivan ship... (especially after seing hallfight) and how did they (terran) get there.

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

The miniguns did jack against the Shivan thingy.  Too bad the other marines weren't smart enough to use an explosive to =/

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Ghostavo
.::Tin Can::. When I asked where someone would fight a shivan... you didn't exactly tell me what on earth would someone be doing in a shivan ship... (especially after seing hallfight) and how did they (terran) get there.

Why a Shican ship?  They did make it aboard the Iceni, after all..........

Offline Drew

u shouold learn more about FS lore, when the shivans attack a ship, they usually board it.

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Drew
u shouold learn more about FS lore, when the shivans attack a ship, they usually board it.

Actually, they normally blow it up. :p

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
The Galatea was "boarded" by a couple of "beams/missiles"!! :shaking:

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Armored Exoskeleton with a kick-ass multidirectional jetpack for use in zero-G.

Without any of the two don't even dream of battling them...just bring along a tank and hope they don't carve you out of it.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan