No
2 (2.3%)
Maybe so
12 (14%)
Huh?
3 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Voting closed: April 12, 2004, 05:12:47 am

Author Topic: New Subspace Tunnel Model?  (Read 44330 times)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
New Subspace Tunnel Model?
Just wait till I have my fixed pof file uploaded...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

That looks so beautiful... :eek:

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Think so?

I prefer stock FS2 one. These look too 'messy' - I'll try to get the effect I had in mind to work one of these days :)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Yes, I think so. I believe that the Sandwich Variant is great.

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
I'm with Lightspeed on this. I love the foreground texture, and wouldn't change that unless someone pulls off a better one, but the background greenish texture is bothersome. As Lightspeed said, it looks too messy. The whole deal is still better than the vanilla one, thats for sure.

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
I'm getting the most amazing sense of deja vu from this thread.

Haven't replacement subspace textures and a fixed background POF been available for years?
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline JarC

Originally posted by jdjtcagle
I just see them makeing different styles, which scared me alittle:p
you know the saying, pictures say more than words...that's why I only posted the pics, not the textures...

Originally posted by ZylonBane
Haven't replacement subspace textures and a fixed background POF been available for years?
please, let us normal beings share in your wisdom...

k, here the last 3 screenies, and I'm going to call this a bug, coz I can not get rid of that blocked spacedust flyin by, I tried just about every build I could find, Kazan's, Bobbeau's, Taylor's, they all show it, mission specifies 0 stars, if that's what you're thinkin

Sandwich's texture on both layers with one layer rotated 90 degrees.
(lightning doesn't combine well with this one)
edit: after an evening worth of experimenting, I must admit that this is my personal favorite sofar. The image simply just does not do justice to the effect...close second the one below this one

Again Sandwich's texture used on a single layer and the texture rotated 90 degress

and a slightly darker version of my first one (reuses already existing textures).

here's some notes on the subspace pof.
the outer layer rotates anti-clockwise and is the layer on which the texture (noise01) slowly rotates
the inner layer rotates clock-wise and is the layer on which the texture (noise01b) is moved along the z-axis
Also, what absolutely does not come across in these images, is that brightness in both layers is cumulative...Now, with Sandwich's single texture on both layers and one layer rotated 90 degress, this gives almost the kind of irregular behaviour as one of the previous comments suggested. As a result of the constantly changing positions of the bright spots relative to each other, the pattern that results is very unrepetative.

Basically as you can see from the above images, you simply need a texture on both layers, the outer one to give the impression you are in sort of a tunnel, and the inner one to give the impression of movement. The impression of speed depends highly on the speed at which the texture moves, which we can do nothing about.

There's only one thing what IMHO could enhance the 'feel', and that is if the POF were slightly bend so you would not, or only partially, be able to see the ends, as they would just be around the bend...;)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 04:45:07 pm by 106 »
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
I like the first screenie the most.
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
agreed
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Raptor

First one for subspace, a red version of the second for  B5 hyperspace:D
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

If the new models look nicer than the thing on the first page in the thread, sure :)

I'd really like to see the ability to use a different color portal for warping in and for warping out though more than just seeing a newer design to the portal

Stuck between the first and the third screenie. Im leaning towards mostly the first one, since it looks the most detailed and good.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
The second one looks better to me. The third one looks as if the player were flying in some sort of electric storm.
One other thing is the FPS value. Only 34? What if you place more ships in it? At most 11 FPS?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Originally posted by JarC
please, let us normal beings share in your wisdom...
Oh, so arch thou art. :rolleyes:

A POF that fixed the "crinkled" subspace ends has been available for a long, long time (courtesy of Styxx). I believe it's hosted on Volition Watch. They also have piles of alternate subspace textures.

Funny to watch everyone all drooling and tripping over each other as if this has never been done before.
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Originally posted by ShadowDrakken
I'd really like to see the ability to use a different color portal for warping in and for warping out though more than just seeing a newer design to the portal

Bobbau once made a TBP build with this implemented, don't know if it's still possible....probably not. I also would like to see this implemented officialy in FS_open....maybe post-3.6 ?

EDIT: Oh, and the first piccie gets my vote.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 03:39:46 pm by 1445 »
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by TopAce

One other thing is the FPS value. Only 34? What if you place more ships in it? At most 11 FPS?

If you are referring to my screen shots, the game was at 60 the whole time. Taking screenshots drops the frame rate to 32. :doubt:

A POF that fixed the "crinkled" subspace ends has been available for a long, long time (courtesy of Styxx). I believe it's hosted on Volition Watch. They also have piles of alternate subspace textures.

That one is 'crinkled' because I made a mistake with it. I have a new version that I'll upload either tomorrow, or the next day...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Something really has to be done about those little black flecks, they've been an eyesore since about the time of the first env. mapping build.  They stand out more in subspace, but they are bad all over the place.  They make similar messes out of skyboxes, or anything else with a full, bright background.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline JarC

Originally posted by TopAce
TOne other thing is the FPS value. Only 34? What if you place more ships in it? At most 11 FPS?
don't get fooled by that, mine was at 42 and also dropped to 30ish during the screenshots...even froze the game for a blib...

admittedly, I don't have a racemonster (PII466Mhz) so I am not even close to maxing the performance of my card (GeForceFX5200Ultra)
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Flipside
If you use an ANI, it seems to only use the first frame of it, at least, that's what it did for me :(

That's odd....  I have one working.  Although I think it may only work when the jpg / tga support is disabled - I'd have to check.  Also, the spec & glow maps were a pain in the tits to do.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Oh, so arch thou art. :rolleyes:

Funny to watch everyone all drooling and tripping over each other as if this has never been done before.

Damn that was a long time ago. About the same time I made close-orbit planet model. I guess it says something about the need to get off my ass and finish that project for once, huh?

:D
Probably away. Contact through email.