Author Topic: Would anyony like this?  (Read 15228 times)

Offline F1gm3nt

Would anyony like this?
I've been contemplating going through all the fighter models and doing some poly smoothing and maybe adding subsystems to them for guns and engines(not sure if engines already work this way). I wqs also considering adding some other detail things like maybe transparent cockpits, guns,  misslepods(or somesuch), ect.  Seeing as this would unquestionably(sp?) raise the polycounts by quite a bit and would take a massive amount of time on my part, Does anyone think I should do it, or possibly is it just a bad idea in general?
In view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity.
-- Konrad Adenauer

See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time.  --Robin Williams

Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value. --Alber Einstein

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Would anyony like this?
:welcome:

Welcome to the HLPBB, mate.

The exits are to your left and right. Flamethrowers are under your seats, but they are sometimes filled with water. If this occurs, please check the lockers for the old shotguns.
Stay away from the admin's weapon lockers and the air vents. If you see a large, insectoid-looking creature inhabiting the latter, throw him a large piece of meat (preferably not yourself), and he will leave you alone.
Thank you and have a nice day!
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Would anyony like this?
do some of it, (myrmidon), post some screenies and we'll decide then
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
Would anyony like this?
you should pick a fighter, and rebuild it in higher detail from scratch. 2000-3000 polys would be best. then when you're done, and you feel up to it, pick another one and do the same. that would be better than making subtle changes to a bunch at a time.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline F1gm3nt

Would anyony like this?
Aight, I suppouse I'll get myself in gear on the Myrmidon. I'll start out trying the smoothing thing and detailing first,  depending on how that turns out I may just rebuild.
In view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity.
-- Konrad Adenauer

See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time.  --Robin Williams

Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value. --Alber Einstein

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Would anyony like this?
A typical will-be-useful-for-the-FreeSpace-Upgrade-Project guy, right? :D

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Would anyony like this?
shhh, just let him work for SCP, maybe we can recruit him for Inferno later...
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Would anyony like this?
Originally posted by F1gm3nt
I've been contemplating going through all the fighter models and doing some poly smoothing and maybe adding subsystems to them for guns and engines(not sure if engines already work this way). I wqs also considering adding some other detail things like maybe transparent cockpits, guns,  misslepods(or somesuch), ect.  Seeing as this would unquestionably(sp?) raise the polycounts by quite a bit and would take a massive amount of time on my part, Does anyone think I should do it, or possibly is it just a bad idea in general?

Doing High Poly versions of all of the ships is something the community has been doing slowly anyway so if you want to try you're more than welcome to do so.

As Turambar said, pick a single model, upgrade that and then show us the results. You'll almost certainly get a lot of feedback that will help you with the rest (or make you fling up your arms and stomp away from the community in disgust :D )

A couple of quick points though.

1) Don't go mad with the polys :) Although the HT&L upgrade means that we can spend more on ships if a ship has too many polys it will completely kill the framerate (especially with fighters).  

Karma's Fenris was around 7,000 triangles and Nico's latest fighter is around 4,000 IIRC. I think the highest poly ships anyone have done are Omni's Star Trek conversions at around 10-12,000. Don't go too far above that with capships. In fact you may want to stay a fair bit lower.

2) I believe that the SCP are planning to add external guns and missile pods in FS2_open 3.6.1 anyway. You might want to see how they are doing it rather than wasting time building models that won't be able to use that system.

3) Be careful about doing stuff like adding new subsystems. In player flyable craft too many subsystems can cause crashes. Adding new subsystems to existing craft can break missions which will limit the use of your craft.

Apart from that feel free to give it a try :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Would anyony like this?
Do you know the basics of modelling/POF Editing?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 08:35:19 am by 1079 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Would anyony like this?
I hope he does cause otherwise he's being pretty optimistic :D

Offline F1gm3nt

Would anyony like this?
Karajorma:
1) Don't go mad with the polys  Although the HT&L upgrade means that we can spend more on ships if a ship has too many polys it will completely kill the framerate (especially with fighters).

I was thinking about the 2,000 to 3,000 range in general. I think thats a fairly decent upgrade as the Myrmidon has around ?600 or so polys originally.

3) Be careful about doing stuff like adding new subsystems. In player flyable craft too many subsystems can cause crashes. Adding new subsystems to existing craft can break missions which will limit the use of your craft.

I saw that they basicaly allready have the two I was thinking of.( i.e. engines and guns) That all depended on the weapons pods really anyways, which I think I'll hold off on for the 3.6.1 release.

TopAce:

Do you know the basics of modelling/POF Editing?

I've been modeling for only a year or so now with Maya, mostly it's been school stuff. As far as POF goes, over the last month or two I've been lurking in the forums and reading everything I could find about it. Still I haven't actually *done* anything yet but I geuss experience is the best teacher.
-- Konrad Adenauer

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Would anyony like this?
Sounds reasonable to me. Go for it.

Would anyony like this?
Originally posted by TopAce
:welcome:

Welcome to the HLPBB, mate.

The exits are to your left and right. Flamethrowers are under your seats, but they are sometimes filled with water. If this occurs, please check the lockers for the old shotguns.
Stay away from the admin's weapon lockers and the air vents. If you see a large, insectoid-looking creature inhabiting the latter, throw him a large piece of meat (preferably not yourself), and he will leave you alone.
Thank you and have a nice day!

*Throughs TopAce to the creature*:nervous:
"I am that which grips the heart in fright, harkens night and silence is the light." Ajunta Pull, KOTOR.

Offline J3Vr6

Would anyony like this?
I don't think fighters are what should be worked on first.  I think cap's should be modelled HTL before fighters.  They're huge and you'll notice the detail on them more than a fighter zipping by your view.
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline JarC

Would anyony like this?
Whatevr you do, if you decide to make a hi-poly version of a fighter, please downgrade the current LOD's so that former LOD0 becomes LOD1 ? please? Both VA's Fenris and Bobboau's Herc overlooked this, so the difference between their replaced lod0 and the still original lod1 is quite an eyeshocker...
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Would anyony like this?
actually, the former LOD0 IS now LOD1 in the fenris ;)

i just bumped them all down and the lowest one fell off :D
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
Would anyony like this?
Originally posted by F1gm3nt
I've been modeling for only a year or so now with Maya, mostly it's been school stuff. As far as POF goes, over the last month or two I've been lurking in the forums and reading everything I could find about it. Still I haven't actually *done* anything yet but I geuss experience is the best teacher.

oh, dear. it'll be hard. making a model into a .pof is entirely different than modeling it. you have tomake sure the subsystems are the excact same size, shape, and location on the ship as the original, otherwise it'll change the gameplay. and the turreting... *shudder*

just try to be as true to the original .pof as you can. don't make any thing different if you don't have to. for instance, if the weapons subsystem on a ship is 5x6x4 meters, and is located at -5x, 7y, 2z, keep those values in your new one. that way people will accept it as canon.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline F1gm3nt

Would anyony like this?
I realize that about the locations for the subsystems needing to be the same size and location . ;) I know the detail would be more noticeable on the cap ships then on the fighters, but I like the fighters and so I'd rather do them since there are more people, I think working on the caps already. As far as the LOD goes those were my plans exactly. :) I'm about 1/2 done with the Myrmy right now, I'll post again when I have something to show.
-- Konrad Adenauer

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Would anyony like this?
Just make sure they're compatible with the current maps and UVmapping, else we'll a) have to do new maps for all ships and b) it would hinder any of my work with env maps and other texture work.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
Would anyony like this?
I doubt it'll be possible so use *exactly* the same maps on an upgraded myrmidon, and even if possible I think it wouldn't be advisable.
Actually I'd suggest a retexturing for this fighter, both for the way it was uvmapped and the low-res/low detailed textures