Author Topic: Would anyony like this?  (Read 15290 times)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Would anyony like this?
it is possible to use the same map with a slightly modified UVmap without any problems.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Would anyony like this?
Originally posted by Starfighter

*Throughs TopAce to the creature*:nervous:

Sometimes I just don't understand human behaviour. :D
Did you want to welcome him first, or what the hell?

By the way, I agree that capships(including freighters) should be improved. But fighters have simpler shape, and it is simpler to make them higher poly. At least I think.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline F1gm3nt

Would anyony like this?
As of right now, I haven't retextured it yet, and in actuality it *should* be able to use the same texture map as the first LOD currently uses, at least thats how I have it set up at the moment, ALthough I did plan on retexturing it for more detail, ect. and the UV doesn't need to be modified really, but the problem is a loss of detail, hence why I want to retexture it. Using the same UV on the high poly version that I have right now barely warrants any reason to actually keep doing it as the two versions look almost identical. I'm not sure that there is any way to fix it without modifing the UV. Also a quick question as to the allowable size for ship textures, I was thinking of upping it from 256x256 to 512x512 and maybe even doing an alternate set for 1024x1024 for people who have shwanky video cards like my GeForce 5900. ;7
In view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity.
-- Konrad Adenauer

See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time.  --Robin Williams

Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value. --Alber Einstein

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Would anyony like this?
Originally posted by F1gm3nt
... I was thinking of upping it from 256x256 to 512x512 and maybe even doing an alternate set for 1024x1024 for people who have shwanky video cards like my GeForce 5900. ;7

It rather requires RAM memory  than video card power.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Would anyony like this?
but, in theory, 4096*4096 is ok, just stick to 2^n sizes.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Would anyony like this?
Excuse me, but as far as I know, fighter texture sizes are different than any other ones. I mean a fighter texture may be 322x521, for example.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Would anyony like this?
But it needn't be. That's just wasting cycles on the GPU. If you change the size of the maps, the UV mapping will remain intact. You may even get a small performance boost.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Would anyony like this?
you can, in theory, use any possible size.

In practice, anything not 2^n is terrible wastage, and anything above 2048^2 is a complete PC killer on a fighter.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Would anyony like this?
Originally posted by kasperl
...anything above 2048^2 is a complete PC killer on a fighter.

How is a single texture supposed to kill something that has no heart, not breathing, doesn't feel pain? :D

And it is unneccessary, too. Even after there are so many collisions in FS.

Offline F1gm3nt

Would anyony like this?
Well heres some quick screenies from within Maya. I just finished with my finals at college, thats what took so long. The new model has ~2100 faces or so.

There aren't any new textures yet, as I said earlier it uses the old uv map just fine, but because of the map geometry it sorta makes the model look less Hi-Poly. I don't have a POF version ready because whenever I try to convert it I get an empty LOD0 followed by the correct LOD's (i.e. LOD0 has nothing in it but LOD1 has the hi poly model, etc.) :confused:  When I convert it in PCS and look at the submodels tab it lists [000] as Freespace Model, which is the main model group name.(see below)

My Heirarchy looks like this in truespace:

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I've followed the directiions in all the tuts that I could find on the message board and the LOD's show in the correct order after the null one. At any rate, here is the cob file if someone else wants to mess with it.:D Theres no textures with it, just the cob.

Hi-Res Myrmidon .cob

[Edit: Put bigger pics up.]

[Edit Again: Nevermind I figured out what my problem with converting was.]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 11:21:05 am by 1854 »
In view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity.
-- Konrad Adenauer

See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time.  --Robin Williams

Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value. --Alber Einstein

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Would anyony like this?
So small pics, please post bigger ones. :( I want to see where you are hiding you polies.
lol wtf

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Would anyony like this?
I don't really see where the high poly count is making it better. It looks more as if you just subdivided the model.
Could you post a wireframe shot?

Offline F1gm3nt

Would anyony like this?
Which is sorta what I did, I used the old model as a reference and smoothed out the poly's for a sleeker look.  Which is also why the UV isn't broke. As of right now it's still very much a WIP. I intend to add some finer details like the cockpit supports and missle/gun holes as well as a retexture which there is no way around. However thats why I asked if anyone would be interested because all that would likely set back env mapping. IMHO, I think just smoothing the model out makes it look better and as you can tell from the textured shots the UV is slightly off in some areas, so even with just the smoothing the texture has to be redone with a slightly modified UV.(look at the large missle holes to see what I mean, they're slightly warped.)

At any rate here are some wireframe screenies.

I'm not claiming that this is the best way to go about things but I'm offering time to go and do it, with all the fighter ships if people will want to use them. :)
-- Konrad Adenauer

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Would anyony like this?
Kinda how I made the Anuket smoother. It's horrible to UV.

Honestly, I don't think terran vessels have much to gain from being smooth divided. Vasudan vessels, on the other hand, show a stark improvement.

Offline F1gm3nt

Would anyony like this?
Aye, I see your point, I did the Myrmidon because it was suggested. I happen to like it smoothed out, I agree that Terran vessels have less of a need for it but I personally like it. I'll post some in game shots when I have em.
-- Konrad Adenauer

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Would anyony like this?
Looks pretty :)

I bet that would look good on something like colossus or any capship...
Do a Orion :nod:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 12:09:34 pm by 1472 »
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Would anyony like this?
Originally posted by Raa Tor'h
Kinda how I made the Anuket smoother. It's horrible to UV.

Honestly, I don't think terran vessels have much to gain from being smooth divided. Vasudan vessels, on the other hand, show a stark improvement.

True dat. You might have more success by taking the original model and adding detail onto it, using the textures as a reference.
-C

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Would anyony like this?
Hey Figment, welcome to HLP. :)

And yeah, the approach to adding detail to Terran ships is a little more different. Look for the hi-poly Fenris in the modding forum for an idea of what works well with Terrans. :nod:

:welcome:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Would anyony like this?
yay! can i DL it an start making new maps??
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Would anyony like this?
Just smoothing the ship isn't enough IMO. With Vasudan ships it might look good, but terran ships could use some more details. Try to model some of the details from the textures.