Author Topic: Would anyony like this?  (Read 15313 times)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Would anyony like this?
*starts work on new maps for Myrmidon*

Hey, If DaBrain and Lightspeed are doing it, I might as well jump on the bandwagon ;)
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline F1gm3nt

Would anyony like this?
Just smoothing the ship isn't enough IMO. With Vasudan ships it might look good, but terran ships could use some more details. Try to model some of the details from the textures.

Yep, I know. I'm working on it now. As I mentioned before, I'm gonna add details like the cockpit braces, I was also considering sinking in the texture mapped missle and gun holes but I'm not sure that it's worth it in terms of polys and I really don't think it would look quite right. I want to add anything on top of smoothed versions of models for two reasons. 1) The additions themselves will be easier for me to add this way due to how I actually modelled in school. (We did -alot- of 20,000+ poly models) and 2) I remember reading somewhere on the forums that the more vertices there are, the better the shading and such. So in theory it should look better in game just because of this. But hey, I'm open to suggestions on just what kind of things you guys would like to see in detail. I look at the Myrmidon texture and the thing that stands out most are the cockpit braces and the gun vents on the outer weapon pods.
In view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity.
-- Konrad Adenauer

See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time.  --Robin Williams

Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value. --Alber Einstein

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Would anyony like this?
These for no other reason than that they look cool.
My new maps are so sharp in photoshop, then theyre blurry ingame... ill figure it out

10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Would anyony like this?
The new and the old model look EXACTLY the same.

Add details instead of wasting polies :)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Would anyony like this?
thugh, the waisted polys will give it better lighting.
still it would be better if you modeled in details
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Would anyony like this?
what Lightspeed saiid. Sorry, but I just don't see a noticeable improvement.

Would anyony like this?
There's a small one, mainly in the hull shaping, from what I saw.
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
Would anyony like this?
a small, almost unnoticable one, not worth the huge increase in polys, imo. always go for detail first and foremost.

turambar, the reason for your maps looking the same in-game might be because you don't have the registry hack. without it, the game always scales your maps down to 256x256.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
Would anyony like this?
Originally posted by Bobboau
thugh, the waisted polys will give it better lighting.

I knew you were going to say so:lol:

btw I still remain of the idea that a game model has to be efficent, where efficent means to obtain a certain result using as less edges as possible without loosing quality.
Unfourtunately that's not this case. you can't see much differences between the old and the new versions for at least 90%of the ship, actually I can see some improovements only in a couple of points, and surely nothing worth of that increase in the pcount.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Would anyony like this?
Originally posted by Carl
turambar, the reason for your maps looking the same in-game might be because you don't have the registry hack. without it, the game always scales your maps down to 256x256.

Not with SCP anymore. All you need to tick is the 'use large textures' in the launcher.

His problem, I guess, is that he uses his textures with low res shine maps. :rolleyes:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Would anyony like this?
Originally posted by Lightspeed
Not with SCP anymore. All you need to tick is the 'use large textures' in the launcher.

To be fair to Carl all that actually does is install the registry hack for you :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Would anyony like this?
Do we even need to bother with the registry switch anymore? I mean, does it really affect systems that badly?
-C

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Would anyony like this?
I am on the same opinion as the others. There is no apparent change, only in the Frames/Second value, at most.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline F1gm3nt

Would anyony like this?
How about something more like this?

Some beveled stuff on the thrusters, extruded cockpit brace, and some beveled armor plates. I need to smooth out the cockpit braces some and maybe add a little more curvet o the cockpit glass. Hey let me know if I'm on the right track.
In view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity.
-- Konrad Adenauer

See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time.  --Robin Williams

Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value. --Alber Einstein

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Would anyony like this?
better, but still can use a lot of improvement. :)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Would anyony like this?
See? That's what I like. :D  I don't know how well it'd work in game, but I don't care 'cause it looks awesome! :D

Edit: Meep, looks like being on the same ship is making us look at the same posts. :lol:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Would anyony like this?
MUCH better
add some stuff to the gun pods on the wingtips
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Would anyony like this?
Originally posted by Raa Tor'h
Edit: Meep, looks like being on the same ship is making us look at the same posts. :lol:

Must be 'cause we're looking out of the same window. :p

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
Would anyony like this?
you're in right direction, now.
you still could smooth some points, as you said, and maybe add the holes for some of the guns. Also I'd work in some points like all those flat vertical faces

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Would anyony like this?
yea partaly round the tops of some of the moudles, and do somthing about the triangular ass of the thing
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3