Author Topic: Would anyony like this?  (Read 15287 times)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Now, finish it, LOD it and release it! :D :p
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
*Bump*
Don't want this to get lost
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Put it into your pocket, and fasten the zip. But do not forget to take it out before washing.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Bu..But... I have no zip on my pockets :(

:p
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline terren

I dont think those are gunpods,  wait, I'm wrong.  had to look through about 10 files to find the POF for it, but yeah, it's a secondary gunbank.  atleast with the POF you use it's secondary :D   :edit: :edit: :edit:  Secondary, be Primary! now lets see how this can fly.  

If you wondered, I took primary gunbank #1 (with four ports) and moved it's fireing posions to those gunpods, which should look much better, although I still want converging shots...

:edited for some spelling:
Proud user of wings 3-D

Mad? Oh yes quite mad.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
It did look as if it were a crude attempt at barrels from the mapping job. So I like the new barrels, so long as the vent texture is UVed on it.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Now redo the real gunpoints too and it'll be perfect :D

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by jdjtcagle
Bu..But... I have no zip on my pockets :(

:p

I wasn't serious. Did you take it seriosuly? Because of that :( smiley ....
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline F1gm3nt

Originally posted by Raa Tor'h It did look as if it were a crude attempt at barrels from the mapping job. So I like the new barrels, so long as the vent texture is UVed on it.

*sigh* whips out lithunwrap

It's LODed and such converted over to cob put in correct hierarchy and gets an error in PCS "General stack overflow...too many polys in one general area...blah blah..." So yea, I'm working on it. If anyone else wants to try, here ya go.

fightert2-05.zip (COB file, All LODs, No textures)
In view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity.
-- Konrad Adenauer

See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time.  --Robin Williams

Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value. --Alber Einstein

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Raaaaaa! :)

Eh, little request. Can you make the first and second LOD identical poly-wise?

We could then tweak the table so the first LOD is switched pretty much at close range to the second texture LOD. You won't need anything higher than 512² unless very close up - and we could work that in pretty well with a LOD like this.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I'll give it a go... what the heck.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Ok... no go. I get the same error, and worse. The normals are flipped in TS, and when I fix them, the UV-ing goes bonkers. Perhaps the original maya file will work better? Or in 3ds form?

Edit: Also, when the normals are corrected, there are chunks missing. Makes me sad. :(
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 07:20:23 pm by 273 »

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
More testing: I found what the major problems seem to be. I converted toe file to 3ds, and ran it through Max6, and performed a STL Check. It came up with 2800 errors. Almost all were uncapped endes, some where double faces. When I tried to fix it,  Ilost some of the cocpit detail, so I stopped. This isn't working out so well. :(

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Raa Tor'h
More testing: I found what the major problems seem to be. I converted toe file to 3ds, and ran it through Max6, and performed a STL Check. It came up with 2800 errors. Almost all were uncapped endes, some where double faces. When I tried to fix it,  Ilost some of the cocpit detail, so I stopped. This isn't working out so well. :(

I get that with models of mine I've seen work perfectly well in game. The problem is probably with the conversion to .3ds
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
No, because TS lists the same amount of polies. And after a while, if I click on it, it'll drop to half that... But still there are problems.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
I should point out that 3Dstudio R3 ( .3DS files are the files that it used ) could not deal with unwrapped maps ( it's like 15 years old... ). It was either planar, cylindrical or spherical. And nothing else. When you convert your mesh to 3ds, you have to remember that limitation. So what happens? During the conversion process, all the polys that don't follow the above rule are separated from the mesh, creating as many planar mapped objects as needed. In Max terms, that means that all those polys are turned into elements, and have their own edges, not shared with the neighbour polygon.
That means you have to weld the vertices back when you're opening it with your program ( AfaIk, TS can't, but you can weld the verts in 3Dexploration ).
SCREW CANON!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That explains a lot. Let me try giving my model a different UV projection and trying that out.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Nico: Does it matter that I'm not using R3? I have Max 6. Is the file format still the same? If so... I don't know how to change the UV type. :(

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Raa I hope you're joking...

'R3' is so old now that you shouldn't be using it under any circumstances.  There's an option in 3d exploration to weld vertices and it will do the trick nicely, though that is somewhat dependent on where the model was originally made.  If it was constructed in Max and exported to 3ds then you should be ok, but if it was done in something like Rhino, you could have problems.  The reason you lose detail with a vertex weld is that the program doing the welding does not have high-enough precision to distinguish between overlapping verts and close verts with detail between, and the small details get absorbed.  Increase the scale of the model before you export it and it should help lessen the problem.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline JarC

hmmm....I took the liberty of importing it into Blender. Now, I don''t know how much can be contributed to the import (direct cob -> blender) but I got a somewhat weird result...there's 4 hull's but only three set's of thrusters...also the thrusters do not align with the corresponding hull but are rotated -90x,90y (blender axes)

UV survived on all LODs and debris...removed all the double verts (they were aplenty) and sofar I do not seem to be missing any detail...
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's