Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 210275 times)

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
Well I sent an E-Mail to the guy using the dev@3000ad E-Mail.

Mainly discussing how there's people here with some professional gaming development experience, etc.

So hopefully I'll get a reply and hopefully it'll be a good one ;)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline 01010

I didn't realise how much I still liked FS2 until this thread.
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by Rictor
There's not like we can do much, so if he gets the rights, at least I hope he does a decent job. I think HLP is crucial in this affair, because there's no one, save for the original devs, who knows/cares about Freespace more than the people here.

Derek's Staff? :thepimp:
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Uhhh... who is XePeR?
Do we know him?
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

First Post

Gents, some of the posts in this thread, are EXACTLY the reason why game developers AND publishers hardly pay attention to a game's fanbase.

So, go ahead, insult me all you want. Fat lot of good THAT is going to do. If anything, your posts will serve as indication to the industry in general, that well, those of you who want to turn this into a pissing content, are NOT worthy of anything tangible with regards to this franchise or anything associated with it. Look, they're not giving out library cards for bad behavior. So, if you can't behave at home, at the VERY least, have some self respect and behave yourself when in the company of others who are deserving of respect.

Now we're got that out of the way, lets see....

I'm not here to win any hearts, blow any minds, organize cookouts, take long walks in the park or pass around the walm milk. All I want to say it if anyone has played ANY of my games, not to mention the recently released Universal Combat, it should be clearly apparent that you're not dealing with some fly-by-night developer of a mod crew thats going to disappear overnight.

My games have been around for almost fifteen years, believe it or not and I have so far released five games - all of which made money - and I have an install base that clearly eclipses you lot. By a galaxy wide margin. My game - believe it or not - was one of those that made money for Interplay. They didn't lose money on it, not matter how much or how little it made. I got paid. They got their money's worth and I join the ranks for those who are saddened by their demise as I had some really good friends there.

So, lets cut the crap and get real here. Now. Would you rather NOT see another Freespace title in the retail channel, with high calibre values and from a team with a HISTORY and EXPERIENCE in making SPACE games? Or would you rather see it go to some larger company who is going to turn it into some unrecognizeable crap so they can leech off the Freespace name?

I'm ACTIVELY trying to get the license and given that I had a really good relationship with Inteplay (they published my second game),  it will all boil down to money and whether or not Interplay is willing to let it go.

If I get it, I'm going to develop this game. NO amount of crying, magic, spellcasting, running outside naked and yelling or coming to my house with +2 Armor of God and +6 whupass, is going to change that. So, the ones making these crazy posts (the attention must be nice - try dating) might as well go to sleep tonight knowing that as tenacious as my reputation is, if there is ANY chance of obtaining this license, I'm going to get it.

YOU insulting lot have VERY few choices and options. You are either going to be a part of the end result or you remain a part of the problem that will let this legacy and much regarded franchise die with Freespace2. Think about this. It makes NO difference to me. I CONSISTENTLY develop, publish and sell games. So, its not like I don't have a project (considering that I have no less than THREE in development right this minute) to fund and develop. I do this out of love for the Freespace franchise and out of respect for what I - as a gamer and a space sim developer - deem to be a legacy and one of the greatest space sims ever developed.

That is all. As you were.
President/Lead Developer
3000AD, Inc

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Rictor
There's not like we can do much, so if he gets the rights, at least I hope he does a decent job. I think HLP is crucial in this affair, because there's no one, save for the original devs, who knows/cares about Freespace more than the people here.

No-one who has put more effort in keeping the franchise alive, either.

To be fair, I did post on the Adreneline Vault forum asking him to look at this thread, so you can blame me if **** happens :)

Offline 01010

Damn this threads moving fast.
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.

Offline 01010

I personally think any company that would pick up the Freespace license would want to make a decent game of it, as it's a fairly niche genre now.

Also please don't EMPHASISE words like that, it's pretty patronising.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
DSmart [3000AD]:  Ok, don't judge a COMMUNITY on the words of a some members...
Argue to learn, not to win
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
Originally posted by DSmart [3000AD]
*Long winded post*

So you're listening to all the little whiners and people insulting you, but ignoring the ones actually saying something? You're not living up to your name.
And are you saying that you deserve our respect?

Offline Andreas

• Ai No Koriida
What I'm interested in is that has he really gotten the rights to Freespace from Interplay? I can't believe that even IPLY would be as stupid as to do that.
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." - Jonathan Swift
"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
I think he fails to realise we're the only people who'd actually buy the thing.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
@Derek

Uh-huh. Not all the posts in this thread have been flaming and I'd like you not to bunch all of us together. I think it'd be better for you if you answered relevant questions and doubts and do it tactfully.

Despite all your whining and *****ing about how voracious fans are, you're quite hostile and *****y yourself (Y'know, all those prods at geekiness, lack of dating, whatever).

Advice: Drop the ego.
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It's not so much the writing of Freespace 3 that concerns me, it's the attitude that we are a bunch of amatuers who haven't a clue what we are taking on with the SCP, and that our opinions which we've had 5 years to debate and hone, are of only minor worth :(

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by 01010
Damn this threads moving fast.

51 users online and no one is posting in any other thread. What do you expect? :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
[q]So, lets cut the crap and get real here. Now. Would you rather NOT see another Freespace title in the retail channel, with high calibre values and from a team with a HISTORY and EXPERIENCE in making SPACE games? Or would you rather see it go to some larger company who is going to turn it into some unrecognizeable crap so they can leech off the Freespace name?[/q]

Tbh, i'd rather we never saw another fs release. So the n00bs scream for fs3, but I don't. We had our fun with the commercial aspect and now it's fallen to a loyal fanbase to keep the plot going and developing.

Your kind of release would take the plot and feel of freespace in a direction no one who wrote the original plot probably intended. In essense, it wouldn't be freespace anymore.

Oh and the agressiveness in your post? No wonder so many folk reacted the way they did around here to the news. Please keep it calm, this is how silly flames begin.

I'm off to work on my campaign.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline 01010

Originally posted by Kamikaze
[B

Advice: Drop the ego. [/B]

****ing spot on.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
If anything ever screamed 'interview'.......
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
In respond to Mr. Smart's post
Your games may have made money, but the community(=fans) is not interested in how much money you made with it. We want to see a high quality game that is a decent sequel to its predecessor.
Money and quality sometimes is inverse ration to each other. Take FreeSpace_Open as an example and you will see what some enthusiastic people are able to do FOR FREE.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Listen Smart, I (we) ask of you what I would ask of any game developer, good or bad, proven or unproven, big or small.

If you get the licesne, don't **** it up. Its a pretty safe assumption that no one wants to see Freespace go down the ****ter, so just make a good game, alright?