Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 210281 times)

Offline 01010

Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
Originally posted by aldo_14

I have no idea.  But hey, at least it adds colour.  Maybe we can get Kazan here - that would make for an interesting debate......

Damn, you beat me to that one. That's like, flamewar of the century right there. :lol:
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.

Originally posted by Kamikaze
@Derek

Uh-huh. Not all the posts in this thread have been flaming and I'd like you not to bunch all of us together. I think it'd be better for you if you answered relevant questions and doubts and do it tactfully.

Despite all your whining and *****ing about how voracious fans are, you're quite hostile and *****y yourself (Y'know, all those prods at geekiness, lack of dating, whatever).

Advice: Drop the ego.

uhm, huh?

[list=1]
  • I didn't insult anyone. I wrote in plain English. And if there is anyone here who doesn't understand English, they need to get someone transllate my verse for them.
  • I NEVER said that all posts here were insulting or flaming. Again, my post was written in PLAIN English and where necessary, I tried to make the distinction when address those who HAVE been insulting and inflammatory.
  • I'm not here to be a part of anyone's Q&A session. If I wanted to host one, I'd create my own thread and discuss it within. I do NOT intend on answering ANY questions as it relates to my plans if I do in fact get this license. IF I do feel the need to solicit comments, feedback etc, I know where to find the relevant parties.
  • Yes, I have an ego. But thats not MY problem to deal with. I am quite comfortable with it just the way I am. I am an Alpha male. A leader. Not some snivelling idiot who gets to be anyone's ***** or Yes- man. Having an ego is a pre-requisite for being a stong person. Most people who bandy the word ego around, have NO frigging clue WHAT it even means. The word itself has just been passed down from one uninformed and ignorant generation to the next. Next time you get the chance, find out what the word really means and you will immediately see how out of place and out of context it is as is popularly used. Yes, I have an ego. Deal with it. I don't have a problem with it. So why should I care what a bunch of people think?
Originally posted by an0n
I think he fails to realise we're the only people who'd actually buy the thing.

How can I forget the group of people who couldn't make Freespace2 a retail success worthy of its effort? Do you REALLY want to go there?

Originally posted by Flipside
It's not so much the writing of Freespace 3 that concerns me, it's the attitude that we are a bunch of amatuers who haven't a clue what we are taking on with the SCP, and that our opinions which we've had 5 years to debate and hone, are of only minor worth :(

You have issues. I don't remember ANY post ANYWHERE where I even came ANYWHERE close to saying or infering that which you speak of. So please stop putting words in my mouth.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 05:27:01 pm by 1991 »
President/Lead Developer
3000AD, Inc

Offline Levyathan

• That that guy.
I wonder if I can post this before the thread gets locked...

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
    • United Gamers Coalition
Id be for a freespace 2 add-on, or freespace 2 the sequel, but FS3 should not be released for a time after something before it to bridge the gap we are sorely missing.

Considering the source code project as well, maybe this dude shld be working with HLP?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by Ghostavo
DSmart, firstly I'd like to remind you that to this community, FreeSpace 3 is a topic that has been debated for years and when it was heard that FS3 wasn't going to be made, many players took that as a punch in the face.

We as a group and a community are happy that someone has bought the license and is going to do a game, but that is where our concerns come in. We are worried that due to the nature of your previous games, you might alter the essence of FS. Another worry is that the story might not be the one that which [V] had in mind, and be, if you excuse my choice of words, a total crap compared to the other FreeSpace's. If you do try to develop FS3, please do your best so when it comes out, we can pride on it.

Please, do not take this as insult, and please remember that an individual doesn't count as a comunity. That is all.

Note: this is purely my opinion on the matter, and doesn't represent the opinion of the HLP community

Game developers always tend to do their best. :rolleyes:
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Are you illiterate, Flipside?!

SHUT UP!

This is funny. An0n who never gave a damn about decorum trying to enforce good manners :lol: Now I know that Judgement Day is upon us :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Originally posted by DSmart [3000AD]
How can I forget the group of people who couldn't make Freespace2 a retail success worthy of its effort? Do you REALLY want to go there?
Ah, you see my point!
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Originally posted by Rictor
I am so smart! I am so smart!
S-M-R-T...I mean S-M-A-R-T.

For those of you who didn't get it SMRT is a Croatian (and Seribian) word for DEATH.....

Now on to buisness..

Derek, to tell the truth - the first BC was awensome, but the latest games were mediocre.
If you really want to make FS3 I only hope that you try and make it as FS2-ish as possible.
Keep everything that was good in the FS series... and listen to the edives of the comunity. They are the ones who'll be buying the game, and they have codded/modled/modded for FS since it came out.

Just look at some of the awensome mods out there, just look at teh SCP project - they should be your guidleine to how FS3 should be.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
If I get it, I'm going to develop this game. NO amount of crying, magic, spellcasting, running outside naked and yelling or coming to my house with +2 Armor of God and +6 whupass, is going to change that. So, the ones making these crazy posts (the attention must be nice - try dating) might as well go to sleep tonight knowing that as tenacious as my reputation is, if there is ANY chance of obtaining this license, I'm going to get it.

:wtf: First of all, this isn't a DnD forum. Reading your post makes me wonder why you posted here in the first place, if this is honestly what you think of us.If you'd said that we would come to your house waving phasers or blasters or whatever they use on Babylon 5, you would've been a helluva lot closer. :D

But please, try to get a general feel of who you're talking to before resorting to Comedy Central-style stereotypes.

Anyway...

So, lets cut the crap and get real here. Now. Would you rather NOT see another Freespace title in the retail channel, with high calibre values and from a team with a HISTORY and EXPERIENCE in making SPACE games? Or would you rather see it go to some larger company who is going to turn it into some unrecognizeable crap so they can leech off the Freespace name?

I'd like to see a Freespace 3 that supports the existing community by continuing in the same direction of the Freespace universe. It doesn't have to follow any mods or anything that's come from anywhere other than Volition to make me happy.

BUT I want to feel like I, the player, am able to explore the universe as well. I want to feel like I've got some say in what I can do with the game because, really, what makes your vision better than mine? Is it simply the fact that you've released five games? As a Freespace 2 fan, I don't care - I care if the game dev is willing to LISTEN to the fanbase to find out what works and what doesn't, and give them the freedom to explore their own storylines or universes using the engine itself.

And that, sir, is what I don't see you as being supportive of. From the small bit of heat you've received from the Freespace community, you've assumed that everyone is hostile. This isn't true; rather, your attitude that you're "going in a different direction" from the fans, who merely want to see Freespace 3 fully realized, and your own hostility towards the community at large, is what's gaining you such a bad reputation.
-C

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Wheee, I can spam and no-one will notice!

Dream on. ;)
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline 01010

Yes, I have an ego. But thats not MY problem to deal with. I am quite comfortable with it just the way I am. I am an Alpha male. A leader. Not some snivelling idiot who gets to be anyone's ***** or Yes- man. Having an ego is a pre-requisite for being a stong person. Most people who bandy the word ego around, have to frigging clue WHAT it even means. The word itself has just been passed down from one uninformed and ignorant generation to the next. Next time you get the chance, find out what the word really means and you will immediately see how out of place and out of context it is as is popularly used. Yes, I have an ego. Deal with it. I don't have a problem with it. So why should I care what a bunch of people think?
[/list]
 [/B]

I'm going to get all that tatooed on my back. Awesome, truly awesome.
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath

Yes, I have an ego. But thats not MY problem to deal with. I am quite comfortable with it just the way I am. I am an Alpha male. A leader. Not some snivelling idiot who gets to be anyone's ***** or Yes- man. Having an ego is a pre-requisite for being a stong person.

Oh dear god.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
DSmart [3000AD]:
damnit!!!  please argue to learn and NOT win :(
and that goes for everyone else
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Well, dunno. I have played BC3000AD a ( long ) while ago, wasn't overly impressed, but then again, I didn't have the keys ( it came on some CD cover ), so I understood nothing, and it was already old back then anyway. If Smart does get the license, if he at least contacts Volition to get their version of the FS3 story, he'll get my vote. If he blatantly ignores us for some stupid reason, he won't, because weither he likes it or not, w/o us, Freespace means crap, it'd be long dead.
Btw, he might have an attitude problem, but so do we. Should I remind you that we used to have Volition people posting here, and they all left because some people here acted like complete retards? WE ****ING DROVE THEM AWAY!
Drop the attitude? Sure, but that goes for us too.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
[size=9]SILENCE![/size]

No *****ing and moaning.

Only well-thought-out and insightful comments on the prospect of the further development of the FS series.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Trashman, that was from the Simpsons man, its nothing to do with foreign languages :D:D

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
[size=9]SILENCE![/size]

No *****ing and moaning.

Only well-thought-out and insightful comments on the prospect of the further development of the FS series.

Whee.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Are you illiterate, Flipside?!

SHUT UP!

Now that's funny ;)

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by aldo_14
I have no idea.  But hey, at least it adds colour.  Maybe we can get Kazan here - that would make for an interesting debate......

* closes thread preemptively *

Originally posted by Tiara

No, it's your rep that caused it my friend. Sorry to say this but your games haven't been the greatest.
[/size] [/B]

Blaming someone else for your actions is a sign of weakness. You are weak.

People usually fear that which they do not understand. I am a very complex and hard person to understand. I like it like that because - at the very least - it means that everyone knows where they stand with me.

As for greatest. A game does not have to be great. It just has to be FUN and PROFITABLE.

If you knew ANYTHING about the business of game development or the responsibilities of game developers and publishers, you would immediately recognize the ludicrousness of your post.

My plans for Freespace3, if I get it, are memorialized in these posts. I have nothing further to add until the time comes.

This will be my last post.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 05:21:59 pm by 1991 »
President/Lead Developer
3000AD, Inc