Author Topic: ML-16 Laser gun  (Read 10720 times)

Originally posted by Jetmech Jr.

I know which gun it is. I also know there's no way it's a minigun.

Why not? If you look at it, the whole weapon is basically a cilinder. We can imagine a set of rotating barrels inside the frame, just as a minigun. A minigun only fires from the one position. The barrels rotate, but only when a barrel reaches the top position will it fire. And that means you don´t need 8 muzzles in the front of the weapon, you just need one, like a revolver. Infact, a minigun isn´t anything more than an ultra fast revolver. And since we can´t make out any features in the front of the gun, we can´t know the number or caliber of the muzzle. The picture is too dark to make out anything.
We are acostumed to see skeleton-like miniguns where you can clearly make out the barrels, but if you put a cover around them, you end up with something just like that weapon there.
Obviously, this is not a minigun as we know them. There are no feed ammo belts, nor any magazines we can make out(except maybe the back end of it ). So my guess is that it fires a type of energy based projectiles, or a caseless projectile.
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

1. Where are you gonna put the ammunition? It's not belt fed, and there's not much room in the weapon itself.

2. It fires nothing like a minigun. It uses 1 shot, which EXPLODES.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 06:52:18 pm by 1802 »
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Nah, that's just the flashlight on the front of the gun shining off of the shivans leg.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Originally posted by Boomer
You'll think me stupid, but I want to make sure I get this right.

You guys are using Unreal Runtime Demo right?:o

No, we are using UnrealTournament 2004. We need the editor that comes with. That demo doesn´t have the editor or the texture packs we will use. So, to clear any doubts, you need the full game. Later on, if things work well, we might find a way for Atari to allows us to release a stand-alone version, but that is waaaay down the road, and after much wishfull thinking.
:p
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
The demo has the editor, not the texture packs.

(i think it has the editor, it should)
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Boomer

Ahhh, ****.

Well, its of to the software store I go....
Viva la UBERBOMB!

"I have no gods, only questions." -Me

A man once came to me and asked me to express a profound thought.  I told him.....<Static>...

Look on the bright side, it looks absolutely nothing like a penis.-Turambar

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
No, no,  no... guys. Look. The thing that the guy modelled is the grenade launcher; it's obvious. The thing in that picture is definitely the minigun.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Originally posted by Ghost
No, no,  no... guys. Look. The thing that the guy modelled is the grenade launcher; it's obvious. The thing in that picture is definitely the minigun.

No, its not. The gun swamp thing modelled is the weapon used by the marines in Hallfight, the autocannon like guns. The ones that bounced off the shivans? The gun the girls holding is the big BOOM BOOM weapon that brought down the shivan :rolleyes:

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
I doubt it. They're both in the cutscene, but the big roundish one is a nade launcher. Hold on, I'll go watch it again.

Okay. Recall the big boom that downs the Shivan? It comes from the guy in front that holds up his hand to shade his eyes. Guess what he's holding? A grenade launcher, which is what Swamp Thing modelled.

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Those grenade launchers are shown shooting bullets at a high rate in other parts of the scene.

Besides, it's the marine WITH the big gun that covers her eyes.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 07:29:38 pm by 2073 »
actualy, mabye not.

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
No, she was over to the left of the formation, not in the center front.

But yes, I can't deny that I saw them shooting bullets earlier.

Volition needed to get their **** together.

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Originally posted by Ghost
I doubt it. They're both in the cutscene, but the big roundish one is a nade launcher. Hold on, I'll go watch it again.

Okay. Recall the big boom that downs the Shivan? It comes from the guy in front that holds up his hand to shade his eyes. Guess what he's holding? A grenade launcher, which is what Swamp Thing modelled.

Glasses or contacts. Pick one, you'll need it.

As Firecrack said, the marine who shields her eyes is the girl with the BIG GUN, not the one Swampy modeled.

Every other gun in the cutscene that actually fires is one of the guns swampy modelled, and you guessed it, they fire like assault rifles/autocannons, not Grenade launchers.

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Until the big boom. And it comes from the guy in the center front, who's holding what you say is a machinegun. Wow! Imagine that. Volition screwed up.

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
*sigh*

How many of you have actually watched the video before posting?

Look carefully, when the shivans come twards the marines with the white cutty things extended, you can see every one of them is shooting something with very quick muzzle flashes. None of this grenade bull. Why did that shivan explode? Who knows.

In the above image, were it not an image, but a video, you would see the marines staggering due to the recoil.

There are no grenade launchers to be seen. Why would grenades be use in the first place? The shrapnel would be guarenteed to kill every one of the marines with no gravity.
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Exactly, it's a big railgun! Possibly with an underbarrel minigun notherless, but whatever.

Also note how they fire their guns in bursts.
actualy, mabye not.

I am well aware, Hippo. But it is also obvious in the frames when the girl screams DIE that shes holding the big gun that charges up. I agree that it's not a grenade launcher, though.

For ****s sake, here's the damn gun:

Ghost, no other marines are visible, and the positions shift somewhat. You're comment that the blast came from said marine is loaded.

When the marine fires, you can clearly see the muzzle of the gun. Its the bigass gun the girl is carrying.

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
I have.

Time index 1:44. You see the person in the front center shooting with one of the things that Swamp Thing modelled.

Time index 1:45-1:47. That's when the girl screams "DIIIIIIIEEEEE!" and then when the explosion happens. You see the person from 1:44 holding up his hand. If you pay attention during the earlier parts of the cutscene, you don't see anyone taking their hands off of the big thing, but you do see plenty of people taking their hands off of the GRENADE LAUNCHER.

And yes, I did see people with what I call grenade launchers shooting with bullets. This is because Volition screwed up the Marines' weapons. The other explanation is that there are machinegun barrels above the big roundy thing that takes up most of the space. Looking at the pic on page 1, that's probably what it is.

I'm right this time. I may not be right all the other times, but this time, I know I'm right.

EDIT: Oh for Christ's sake. Do you have ANY knowledge of real weapons? That thing is a SQUAD AUTOMATIC WEAPON. Look at the damn thing. The carrying handle is a DEAD GIVEAWAY. Look at the ****ing M249 SAW.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 08:00:35 pm by 2478 »

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

No, you're just blind. Or in denial. Either way.

I knowyou are wrong.

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
See my edit, bubs. You're wrong on this one.

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
NOOOOO

Look at the damn video at 1:44, theres no way to tell that this is the center becasue you can see NO other marines!

Anywyas, i'm starting to belive that mabye that Big gun is simply a larger heavier minigun thing, the explosion came from the shivan dying.

And how the hell can you make that outrageous claim in your edit! The handle si there, therefore it's a saw! That's like someone saying "This papaer CD envolope has a window in it, therefoer it's a house"
actualy, mabye not.