Author Topic: Cap-ship coversions!?  (Read 28954 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Re: Cap-ship coversions!?
WEll the fact thet the Ancients had the knossos dowsnt necesaryli mean that they were less technologicly advanced. Maibe they used the knossos just to stabalize node that were similar to the one leadng to SOL i mean way to trashe for even the shivans to travel through. Also i would imagine they also used these knossos in order to bringup to standar(civilian standard) the jump noda stabylity. I mean it would be useless to produce thousands of ships civilian ships carryng suplies and what know when u can stabilazi the node itself. Sure it mai seem like a waste of money in the short term but then again when you think of it in time it is very worth while.

Eh?

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Does... does he type like that on purpose, or what?

Anyhoo, the existance of the Knossoss does not instantly denote a lack of knowledge by the Ancients regarding subspace, but could simply be a large-scale exploratory project stretching out of [currently] Terran-Vasudan space into the unknown via highly unstable jump nodes. The monologues mention the desperate need for expansion [...I think...], so attempts to stabalise Jump Nodes, in this case a series of Jump Nodes, seems a logical extension of that. And the fact that the Shivans came from the wrong end of the Knossoss network further supports the 'locking' mechanism the Knossoss also provided, hence establishing the Knossoss network as not simply a process of bringing Nodes 'up to standard', but as a defensive measure.

Regarding the artificial supernova, does it really matter who thought it up initially, the fact of the matter is the GTVA won't even be thinking about it for decades at the very least, and won't be able to mimic the technology for centuries, IMO.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Anyhoo, the existance of the Knossoss does not instantly denote a lack of knowledge by the Ancients regarding subspace

It's worth, i suppose, reclarifying my statement.  Developing the technology to make a node traversable, does not imply a higher or IMO even equal level of technology to having the ability to travel through that node sans Knossos.  i.e. what is more advanced - a car that drives through a tunnel and the tunnel building machiner, or a car that can can demolecularise itself into an atom stream and reconstitute at the other side.

This does not, of course, reflect upon the relative Terran-Ancient tech.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Maibe they used the knossos just to stabalize node that were similar to the one leadng to SOL i mean way to trashe for even the shivans to travel through.

All the jump points from Earth are gone. But the Shivans can rebuild them.

Say what now?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
The shivans started appearing after the Knossos was activated not because the node was "unlocked" but probably because they were drawn to it, just like they seem to be drawn to any subspace using race.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As to the whole tiping thing usualy i'm in a hurry and spell like crap. Also mi spelling is that bad cuz well mi english gramar sucks big time.

About the whole shivan rebuilding jump node-you must be delerious. Since when?
The onli race that we know had the tech to rebuild/stabilize jump nodes were the ancients and soon to follow the GTVA.

Also i would tend to think that the shivans just because they could travel through very unstable or small jump nodes are not the most advanced. I mean for all we know the ancients could of had the same jumnode tech that the shivans had. There is nothing to sugest that they were any less advanced in this area. Also building the knossos should further reinforce the tech achievements of the ancients in terms of subspace that is.

sure they might of been outclassed in terms of ship design...but then again they might not have been.

for all we know the only reason they were trashed was because of the lucifers shilds.
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Well, just look at the Ravanas apparent decimation of the GTVA forces first sent to attack.  Or, IIRC, your wingmans' comments upon first encountering the Mara in Lion At the Gate (or whatever it was called).  Or even going back all the way to FS1, the Typhons' tech description versus its actual stats and armament compared to the Orion.

Fair points...but then again we've established that the GTVA can't jump accurately to save their lives, and anything that ended up in front of the Ravana was going to die. It's entirely possible by gameplay standards to have an Orion/Hecate hop in front of a Ravana and have its head handed to it. It's entirely possible they emerged ahead and tried to close to broadsiding range, and got murdered in doing it. Similarly the commentary on the Mara is perfectly natural from the standpoint of gameplay. They do move like nothing he's ever seen before...they slide.

As for the Typhon, it names a GTA destroyer...it does not name the class.

Ok, that's fair enough, but to me that seems somewhat counterintuitive.  Particularly given the late development of subspace tracking by the Ancients, as IMO that would seem to be 'easier' than anything of the magnitude that, erroneously or not, could destroy a star.

It's a question of percieved need. If it's not meant to nuke stars, then we're really in the dark on what it is supposed to do, and so can't judge. The Ancients never had a reason to develop subspace tracking before the Shivans. They could defeat their enemies in normal space easily enough. They didn't need the intelligence; they just rolled right over everyone without it. (Rather like the Shivans, actually.)

For it to be something 'stolen' from the Ancients, rather than independently developed, it would surely have to be in a reasonably physically developed state.   Beyond theory, I'd imagine, because the Shivans don't seem to have any interest in capturing intelligence documents or transports (let alone planetary research installations), so there'd have to be something physical to attract them to it. To pique the Shivans' interest, I'd imagine, it'd need to exist and be detectable.  Which would raise the question as to what it was, particularly as the Shivan equivalent involved 80 5km long vessels whose apparent overreaching (given that the flexibility of those 'arms' on the Sath IMO indicates they were developed for this) purpose wasn't apparent until the end of FS2.

It's all dependant on how seriously the Ancients made an impression on the Shivans. They had a vast empire, in more then one galaxy, with commensurate resources. The war could well have been long and quite bloody, only the presence of the Lucifer or other sheathe-shielded ship(s) turning the tide for the Shivans. If they only had the Lucifer then it probably was, since the Lucifer cannot be everywhere at once, and it can run out of supplies if its supply lines are attacked. The Shivans have no need for intelligence against the GTVA, but this may not be true against every opponent.

Well, we don't know if the Shivans couldn't use the Knossos.  They certainly used other unstable nodes, including attacking through Vega.  It's also unclear what prompted their incursion into Gamma Draconis anyways, and whether they were on their way and held up by the inactive Knossos, or not even going to use it until the Trinity popped up, etc.  Or even how unstable the node was pre-Knossos activation, and whether the Shivans could have used it regardless.  So IMO it's highly debatable whether the ancients were any more advanced at the actual art of subspace travel; for all we know the Shivans could have seen the Knossos as some sort of unnatural abomination they simply didn't want to build.

To me it's fairly clear that the Shivans could not have traversed the node. The reason for this is simple enough; the Ancients found the Shivans, and found them at the far end of the Knossos network. Given the apparent xenocidal tendancies of the Shivans, it seems likely that if they had been able to reach the Ancients on their own, they would have done so. First contact between the two was probably not a clash of scouts. (Unless you accept the Lucifer as a scout...) The Ancients were militant and expansionistic; they did not send scout ships through newly discovered nodes, they sent battlefleets capable of crushing even reasonably advanced starfaring civilizations. The Shivans, on the other hand, at least pay lipservice to scouting; we did not get a Sathanas or the Ravana through the Knossos, only a cruiser; first contact with the Shivans occurred at least six months before the Lucifer trashed Riveria. (Silent Threat says as much; maybe a year even.) Yet the Ancients fleet was thrown back at once; there must have been something big and nasty at the other end, either a Shivan battlefleet of similar scale or a sheathe-shielded ship. This presents at least two possiblities: either the Ancients somehow managed to totally bypass the Shivan's leading edge, or the Shivans had come to the limit of their ability to advance. The former seems...unlikely.

As for the possiblity of the Shivans viewing the Knossos portals as abominations...well, they're still there. And the Shivans happily make use of them to move around. Doesn't seem to fit, particularly considering the Shivans penchant for blowing up every other non-Shivan non-natural thing in space. They make an exception for Knossos devices, however, so we have some precedent for the Shivans finding Ancients technology useful and keeping it around.

I'd also like to make another point. There are some possiblities regarding Shivan subspace use that seem to have been overlooked. Have we ever considered the possiblity that they are in effect not traversing an unstable node, but somehow make it more stable for themselves while they are in transit? (Something like a self-Knossos; possibly that too is either descended from or actually Ancients tech. Whether the Shivans had the ability to traverse unstable nodes during their war with the Ancients is unclear. The monologues make no reference to it.) Or, for that matter, the "unstable nodes" is something of an assumption on GTA Command's part. They say "must have", not "did" traverse an unstable node. The GTA wouldn't have been watching unstable nodes...they're unstable, after all. It's possible that the Shivans are not actually traversing nodes too unstable for GTA ships...they are traversing nodes the GTA does not know about. And the unstable node thing is not mentioned once in the course of the main campaign in FS2.

'At least their equal', to me, seems highly assumptive.  The Knossos might be an impressive piece of kit, but it's surely not on the same level as, say, travelling a highly unstable node (or even the level of collapsing a star).  To me, developing the Knossos is indicative of a reduced, not enhanced, capacity for the actual act of subspace travel which led to a necessity to bring nodes 'up to standard'.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Ancients tried to seal off the Shivans via the Knossos, only to have them slip in via multiple other, supposedly untravelable nodes.  Of course, going into wild speculation mode, we don't know the effect of the Sol node collapse upon those Fs1-used nodes; given the non-relativistic distances of subspace, it's possible they were sealed or too far destabilised for even the Shivans.

Without an actual Ancients ship to judge by, how well they traveled through subspace is somewhat speculative, but the tech room credits them with highly advanced subspace technologies. Knossos portals stablize nodes; without an actual idea of what the nodes were like before they were stablized saying that the Ancients ships did not have the ability to traverse nodes the GTA/GTVA (or even the Shivans!) could not is somewhat...questionable.

Considering that they managed to seal the Capella nodes to an extent they believe even Shivan ships couldn't traverse them, it seems unlikely that you can reach Sol via that node, whether you're Shivan or not. The Lucy's detonation was theoritically greater in strength then those of the Bastion or Nereid.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good arguements there.
And i tend to agree with you. But if that is the case then could it be safe to asume that the Ancients used the Knossos not only to stabilize  nodes but actualy to force open new ones. I mean jumpnodes to sistems that were initiali isolated in a way. Because that would explain why we dont see Knossos devices all around.

Also I agree with the fact that an empire as large as the Ancients empire who were from the monologues militaristic and expasionist  could not care about what race lied on the other side of the node. They just send in they battlefleets and crush them either through milatary technologi adn if that is not the case through numbers. The case with the shivans was that for the first time thei met an enemy of equal power equal tech but greater numbers. I cant but help think that the Ancient-Shivan war was one of the numbers and not of technologi. I believe that the ancients either failed to locate a homeworld or something like that wich to destroy/conquer thus reducing the overall numbers of its enemies or its ship building capabilities.

But the fact that the star destroyer was in fact ancinet in design would sugest that they actualy found something like a home base of the shivans or a homeworld and could not destroy it unless they destroyed the entire star sistem. I mean they could of had a jump node close to the star/s in that sistem. So the ancients not willing to sacryfice theyr entire armada of ships in order to conquer a single sistem developed this thing for use. faster cheaper and a lot more deadlier.

I would imagine that they had very strong defenses around thery home world/s too strong for the ancients to risk atacking.
Also another idea comes to mind what if the ancients first battle toock place around or in the sistem which would be like the home sistem for shivans? This would explain theyr fleets taking a beating from the first time around.?
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Okay......

There is no link whatsoever that the Capella supernova was caused by Ancient technology, nor do we know if the supernova was actually the desired effect. Also if the Ancients had the power to produce supernovas using a fleet of juggernauts, it is stupid that they wouldn't use such a fleet to say... track shivan ships in subspace?

The Ancient-Shivan war WAS a war of technology, the Ancients could not "harm" the shivans' "shields" (either they meant all of them, or just a Lucifer's style type of shield is anyone's guess).

The Shivans have no signs of having a homeworld. They attack, they destroy, they "win" and then they go about their merry way. Kind of like Caesar!

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
It is possible as the shivans were advancing that, they could have stolen technology from other races that had desirably destructive affects for the shivans to wish to acquire. As far as the terran vasudan forces, the only subspace weapon they have (rather used halfway in subspace) is making a subspace node non-traversable. If the lucifer had exploded outside the sol node, terran-vasudans would be highly ****ed in the second shivan incursion. But terran or vasudan scientists would probably be theorizing later that a node can be destroyed with a meson bomb with an attempt at shutting down the knossos.
Hey, gvd typhon, seems to be a class of destroyer for the vasudans. Not just a name, but a class. http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/GVD_Typhon  Wiki is your friend :)
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
You didn't know the Typhon was a destroyer class?

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Actualy i believe it is clear that were talking about the lucifers shields. I mean it took the GTVA what a few montsh to figure out how to get paste the shields and adapt them? I would suspect that teh Ancients managed much of the same thing if not faster. Also we should remember that the only thing they couldnt figure out how to get past was the Lucifer shields. Also the ancients provided that answer.

Also considering how "large" the GTVA controled space is its no wonder we dont see any shivan homeworlds or something like that. I mean come on the GTVa holds what 1% of the empire the ancients had? remember the ancients had an empire that strecehd across galaxies not star sistems alone. I would suspect that the war raged on fow decades ! With the Shivans moping up most of the anciants sistems. till they finali made them extict...a least in theory. Cuz for its pretty obvious that the ancients must of surveived. unless the shivans actualy cared enough to investigate every asteroid cluster everi nebuna and so on and so on.

The game was won through numbers. I believe it is pretty obvious. I suspect that by expanding into another galaxy who know how mani they actualy controled the Ancients actualy provoqued the shivans by gooing into thery lair.

this would come in handy if we are tu sugest that capella was actualy used to create some sort of superjumpnode. And support the theory that the shivans are not actualy indigenous to this galaxy. Also if that is the case then ce idea of cosmic destroyers and great preservers of life that was given to the shivans is actualy uder dispute.

Well not necesarily. Why?
Well simpli because the Ancients MAYBE atracted the atention of the shivans a lot faster then they should of. Or it just took them that long to mount a decent response to the Ancients murderous wais. remember if we are to think of the cosmic time line the war lasted but a few minutes.
Die shivan die!!

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
AlphaOne, I'm a bit curious... Is that text you produce intentionally what it is, or does it come to you naturally to mutilate English?  ;)

Anyway, you cannot really compare the GTVA to the Ancients. I'm betting quite a bit that what happened to Ancients was very much similar to what happened to Chinese culture thousands of years ago. There was no need for them to develop, as they had this huge-ass empire with probably no one to challenge them. They did go through wars but they always triumphed over weak enemies - until the Destroyers came, and they were not like the others. And the Ancients had probably not been running any technological research in centuries, probably in millennias. They simply didn't stand a chance, and had no means readily to help them reach the Shivan technological level. That's the only thing that explains why the Shivans beat the Ancients but seemingly cannot win GTA and PVN and later GTVA. Or perhaps it's just because the Ancients weren't made a game of, and thus they didn't have Alpha 1 amongst them...

Exactly the same thing happened in China. The development of technology and culture halted, there was no need to advance as everything worked quite nicely as it was - until the steam-run, steel-made ships with *big* guns arrived. The same thing happened to Japan also. Though, on this occasion the ships contained merely invaders and oppressors, not destroyers of everything like shivans are. China and Japan survived the initial contact with much more technically advanced culture, but that was mainly because the western invaders had no will to destroy them but to profit of them.

On the other hand, the GTA was IMO largely based on aggressive, expansionist culture (aka. European); this made it clear for them to constantly keep developing. About the PVN I don't know... but even if the GTA and PVN had been in hibernating state of technological advancement, the Terran-Vasudan war probably boosted the speed of technological development on both sides, giving both sides ability to research and reverse-engineer enemy technology and develop own, more and more lethal weaponry and advanced means of protecting themselves. In this regard the GTA/PVN and GTVA differ from the Ancients, or at least that's the only option that actually makes sense. The appearance of the Shivans happened in bad time for them - even though the T-V war had tired both GTA and PVN, they had the sense to put aside their differences (remarkapble thing IMO) and form an alliance against the Shivans, uniting their technological abilities and making 1+1 more than two in this case. As the Lucifer fleet was beaten and the Superdestroyed gone with Sol node, the newly formed alliance has managed to stay mostly intact, excluding the GTI and NTF rebellions, which of course with the continuous Shivan threat, kept the military research and development going, and when the Shivans came again, the GTVA was better prepared to meet them, which might or might not have limited the damage.

Of course there is always the possibility of the Sathanas armada being the scout group, and Lucifer fleet being just a first kamikaze-type probing mission from that scout group. The real destroyers might be yet to come, and we still don't know if we can destroy the Gargant. Or even Gigas. Or whatever. Though this is of course strictly off-canon, it is true that the style of the Sathanas armada differed hugely from Lucifer fleet. Lucifer fleet aimed for the capital systems of both Vasudans and Terrans, and effectively destroyed both in GTVA point of view. The Sathanas armada, however, aimed directly towards Capella and then they just got away. Why is that, I'm just asking? Probably another thing to be revealed in FS3 that never became. :nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Ancients weren't used to resistance, therefore it can be interpreted in one way or the other that the Ancients did or didn't destroy a single Shivan ship.

There is little left for us. Little time. But much irony.

We did discover they are not invulnerable. The destroyers that darkened our skies like a plague can be harmed.

But we have no way to deliver the hurt. We have the knowledge, but not the means. And so this is our legacy:

In subspace, they cannot use their shields. And into subspace, they can be tracked.

Invulnerable, shields, plural in both uses. So either many Lucifer type shields... or no Shivan ship was destroyed.

The Ancients did perish, unless another monologue proves to be false, this time this one.

There are few of us left. We know we will soon be gone. And so we can see our fate as others will see it.

There will be little legacy. No great expressions of what we once were. Our technology, our achievements, if ever they are seen again, will spawn none of the awe that filled our conquests.

We know our fate. We are being eliminated. When we travelled subspace, the Cosmic Destroyers took note. When we conquered and colonized in galaxies where we had no place, the destruction and the anguish and the loss were the clarion call of our doom.

And so the destroyers came for us.

The Shivans have no lair, no base of operations visible or mentioned in both games, and all implies that the Shivans came to Ancient space, not the other way around as in...

When the destroyers came for us, we attacked. Never had we been defeated. They were like the others: strange, hideous, resisting, fighting. Only these were not like the others: They did not die.

We made our first retreat. We could forego one system. We left it to the destroyers and went elsewhere. But they followed. They hunted us. They followed us when we retreated, discovered where we lived.

For a long time we did not know why they chased us. They were no ordinary enemy. They did not seek our territory, our technology, our resources.

Now we know our crime was sin.

And as repeated before, the Capella incident has almost no facts, only speculation can derive from it. If you see user made campaigns, ideas vary a lot, see Mind Games for example on a very different take on the Capella incident.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Err about the whole english mutilating thing....I'M SORRY  but as i said mi spelling is horible. I'm froma non english speaking country and although i speak enlghish good enough mi spelling is not as good. So Sorry about that.

Well the monologues are that of the few ancients left probably on theyr homeworld. I mean there must have been some colony or outpost or something like that wich survived the slaughter. I mean come on these guis were streched across galaxies for crying out loud.
About the whole shivans coming after the Ancients thing...well...er...well that would explain a lot bt still a war wich probably lasted several years must of produced some sort of evolutionari cascade. Also since the Ancients were expansionist and militaristic in nature i seriously dought that they were not technologicly advanced posibly on equal terms with the shivans or perhaps more advanced. I'm saing this because we have no evidence of the battles and theyr casualti list. I mean i doubght that the shivans sent out several dozens lucifers to engage the Ancients. Sure they sent out multiple Lucifers as the backbone of theyr fleets but there must have been other ships out there that were not shielded like that which could be brought down. And so the Ancients found that after they eliminated ship after ship they were left with the Lucifers. Geez it must have been frustrating.

I mean taking out ship after ship only to find yourself beaten back and loosing the battle when one of these things came at you.
Die shivan die!!

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Actually, it was somewhere quoted on the forums from some dude at volition that said that the ancients were at about the same level of technological advancement as the terrans and vasudans in the TVwar(the television war :lol:). And given how that the ancients were populating a ton of space, most likely one or two galaxies, maybe more. It seems to me that the shivans aren't indiginous to the milky way(or at least i hope). Back to the ancients, given that the tv war went on for 14 years, i'd imagine that the AS war (ancient shivan war...the ass war) would possibly have gone on for many decades to a century or more. To make a species practically extinct populating so much of space like a couple of galaxies, would take forever. Sounds to me a lot like a generational war for the ancients. It'd even take a long time to make a species populated all over the milky way extinct. Even if you had fleets and fleets and fleets of ships like the shivans had, it'd take a lot of searching. Plus maybe the ancients were on par in numbers next to the shivans, i mean there was obviously a ton of ancients, and they did get around. The shivans were superior to the ancients anyway. Another thing, the shivans were around for a lot longer than 8000 years. There was an 8000 year period between ancients and gta. The shivans are very old. Brings me back to i wonder how old the average sathanas is ;)
Someone should make a campaign about the AS war :) That'd be big **** :nod:
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Okay, I didn't want to hurt your feelings about the spelling thing AlphaOne, especially if you are not a native English speaker. It's just that way too many native english speakers write just like that just for the lack of interest in learning spelling, or rather, reading (which automatically develops spelling skills). I mean... I'm not a native english speaker either. Just do some reading in English and it will improve quite automatically.

And I tend to think that whereas the Ancients naturally had sometimes been aggrssive and expansionistic enough to build their huge empire, they could have had several thousands or millions of years of peace and prosperity behind them when the Shivans came to them, so it is entirely possible they had strong enough militia to keep the criminals and occasional renegade brigands under control, but they might not have been prepared for an equal, much less superior foe. The Chinese certainly didn't expect anyone to attack them, they were too powerful a nation for a long long time and thus there was no need for development for them, and they didn't develope things but kept doing things the old way, until everything they knew was locked onto "old ways" and they didn't make anything actually new. The Chinese didn't have the infrastructure for research and development, and they were technically behind the western invaders in the 1800's... so, they very fast succumbed under colonialist rule.

The Ancients probably suffered much similar fate. They could control their territory quite well from internal threats, but they probably didn't expect an entire hostile race superior to their technology. It's possible that they had had no problems dealing with other sentient races they had previously encountered, as is suggested in monologues. And it's possible they had been on a similar level of technological advancement for generations as there had been no reason for them to invent things. Who knows, perhaps they had even found out how to prevent economical highs and lows and keep it all steady and static.

My main point being, that static states that don't develop migt last for thousands of years but when a superior external, unexpected power comes into pictures, they lose and disappear to great extent, leaving just their greatest landmarks and pieces of their old culture behind them. Examples of such occasions including Egypt - Rome, Persia - Alexander the Great, China/Japan - Western invaders, Aztecs - Conqistadors, African Kingdoms - European invaders/colonialists. All these had been running more or less status quo for quite long times, some longer than others, but the pattern is similar, and on Earth, the history has favoured European culture (heavily based on technological advancement followed by industrialization). Had the ancient China encountered more difficulties, they might have developed quite  a bit of technology. They had the tools like advanced mathemathics, they just hadn't got the need to do it. Same applies to ancient Greece people who vere on the verge of inventing a fricking steam turbine thousands of years B.C. but they reasoned that as the slaves' only right was to do work, what rights would they have had if steam turbines and other machinery would have done the work for them?

The history is full of these little things that make you think what the world would be like now, had things gone a little different... I mean, the Greek people were literally on the verge of industrialization 3000 years or so before it actually happened, and as the development accelerates the development - how would the world be now? Either they would have destroyed human civilization ages ago, or things would be much much more advanced. Meh, I'm getting distracted again, sorry about that.

And the length of the A-S war would be entirely susceptible to the amount of Shivans. Anyway, what S-99 says fits the picture - probably the Ancients had reached the FS1 era level of GTA and Vasudans a long time ago (plus some more advanced subspace technology to stabilize unstable nodes, that would significantly speed up the spreading of Ancients throughout the galaxy and between them), invaded a couple of galaxies with that technology and lived happily with that level of tech for a long time. That's my view on this subject.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WEll it takes a few things to hurt mi feeling and stuff like that but anyway lets get back to our sheeps. In this case the shivans and the ancients.

sure that may be true on earth but even aging empires tend to invent suff once in a while.

I mean come on even if lets say a new weapon was developed every 100 years that would still alow the Ancients more then enough time in order to develop new powerfull weapons.

Also about the thing reagarding the Ancients as advanced as the terran and vasudans in the first shivan war i think thats an under statement. I believe there was also another thread stating that the Ancients were onli a few decades ahead of the terrans and vasudans. Something like fs2 era ships versus fs1 era ships. If that is the case and we all know that Fs1 era ships were quite capable of taking down the shivan cruisers and stuff like that(not the Lucy) then the battle mus of really been horible and long. I mean come on there are several bilion stars in our galaxy alone. If only 20% of them ara inhabitable then that leaves what a few hundred milion start sistems inhabited by the Ancients?? In our galaxy alone.

So mi point is that the war was decided by the numbers and not by the numbers f the Ancients but by the numbers of the Shivans! Why? Because it would of taken the shivans so much time to make them extinct that by the time they were finished with the ancients from one galaxy they would of gotten theyr behinds kicked all over the other galaxy because the ancients would of found a way to get past the shielding of the Lucy.

So i believe that the numbers involved were HUGE. Also i believe that the actual numbers present in the fs2 era for the shivans that is are actualy only a fraction of what they used to be. I believe that most of the milatary was decimated during the ancients war. And what we see here today are but the remenants of the shivan armada. And if that is the case then OMFG. I mean they have more then enough numbers to put a fleet of jugs in everi sistem the GTVA holds.

Also I believe that the fact they maibe used capella as a mean to get to who knows where would tend to sugest that they are lets say overtstreched at the least.

About the sugestion that the shivans are actualy indigenous to this galaxy...! If that is the fact and the ancients came from another galaxy here then that would sugest they were here for quite some time before running into the shivans. And if that is the case that would sugest that the Ancient monologues were not in fact refering to theyr entire race but in fact the ancients that inhabited this galaxy. There is some indirect proof to sugest that the ancients in fact managed to seize a big portion of thi galaxy. This would sugest they were anihalated in this galaxy. and that in fact the monologues were refering to the ancients present here and not theyr entire race.

err...mi head hurts for lack of sleep and beer during the past 45 hours. I will continue again tomorow when i wake up.
Die shivan die!!

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Umm, got it a little backwards, everyone's suspecting that the shivans were from a different galaxy, but that does present another finding. We also really don't know where the ancients are from either.

SMBFD

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Altair, IIRC.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story