Author Topic: The Original Homeworld Mod  (Read 33504 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Re: The Original Homeworld Mod
Very impressive :) But you've got a LOT of room to add details into the Scaffold, I'd suggest making it a bit higher poly (especially if you use detail boxes).

Ok, I've heard enough about these detail boxes. Can you direct me to where I may learn more about them? They seem very interesting.
I have created a masterpiece.

Offline Tempest

• The Star Wars Conversion
    • The Fate of the Galaxy - SWC
I think they're like mini-LODS, for use in incredibly big and detailed objects. I think I saw it used for a borg cube and the Death star in videos I've seen.

Yeah, I'm going to add more detail to the scaffold. There's still a lot of detail in the textures I have yet to bring out, but it's still massively ahead of what the original model looked like. I actually elaborated and added a lot of detail that never existed, but it doesn't seem to be enough. It will look a lot better when textured, though. I remember texturing the orig. model and sticking it in game, and with glow maps it was absolutely stunning.

I'm modeling with Solidworks 2006. It's engineering software, not modeling, but it exports to .wrl, so...I'm comfortable with it. It doesn't deal with any UV stuff, though, which is a big drawback. Still, it's far ahead of nothing.

There's a good thirty ships we're going to see in the demo release, and I'm going to concentrate on those. Flare's doing the Kushan and Taiidan fighters and frigates, so I'm going to try to work on turanic ships and i've also started the Taiidan carrier, although I'm not happy with it right now. I did the Taiidan resource collector, and that freighter from the nebula animatic. There's another freighter too, but it looks like a kadeshi ship, and it'll be a bit harder to model.

These were just quickie jobs. The Resource collector still needs more work, but I'm satisfied with the freighter.

By the way, does anyone know how many times per second that FS2 beam damage is applied? Does anyone know how many times Homeworld beam damage is applied? I have the damage VALUES, but it says "applied many times in a second" so...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 09:57:53 am by Tempest »
"... and the klingons also were the soviet's space program. i mean can you really believe that a bunch of communist farmers can make rockets like that?"
-Axem

My photobucket: with all my shiny new stuff on it! http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/Tempest_77/

Offline Tempest

I am proud to present my baby, that i've been slaving over yesterday and today.

I think it's sexy, and the high polycount can be easily corrected, because I modeled in all of the grills in the exhaust ports. That will be removed, though
"... and the klingons also were the soviet's space program. i mean can you really believe that a bunch of communist farmers can make rockets like that?"
-Axem

My photobucket: with all my shiny new stuff on it! http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/Tempest_77/

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
small details realy dont show ingame, like those fine lines on the bandit.

It is unoptimized. Things change. I will enjoy blasting those out of space :D

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Also, don't listen to takashi. Small details do show up when the light hits them right. Although you might want to remove them to reduce polys and just fudge it with textures and shine maps.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Although if you want to use the detail, 6k polies is a nice cap for fighters (with aggressive LODing).

6k oh? Whats the newer recommend count for different size ships now-a-days?
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Tempest

I'm aiming for 3k for most fighters, especially those without a cockpit. I'm not planning to release any ships without cockpits, though.

The raider corvette is about 50% percent completed, and with the basic shape done I can focus on adding detail, which is pretty easy. I just go by the origional textures to make it as authentic as possible. The Thief and Brigand are basically the same ship with different attachments, so after the thief is done it will take maybe half an hour to finsish the brigand. Pics should come later tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

I've also been sketching out some larger pirate ships. Eventually, i'd like to have the cataclysm raider fleet be fairly large, about 9 ships. Once we finish all of the "real" ships, we may decide to add more ships. The raider fleet seems just so bare bones, and it should be fleshed out completley.

And really, as long as the textures are nice, .dds guys, pollies aren't a huge concern for us. Texturing is. Yay for HT&L! (The average polycount should be maybe 6k for capital ships, maybe more. I'm also planning on including cockpits for each race, and a corvette and fighter cockpit for each. I was THINKING that a frigate bridge would be awesome, but that probably won't happen.

Flare still isn't back yet, either. Hopefully this is because he's been so consumed with pumping out the entire kushan fleet that he hasn't had time to post :)
-Axem

Offline Tempest

Enter the thief. This is the template hull, and the only reason the docking pod is on there is because I can't remove it without some odd things happening to the model...like errors in places nowhere near the pod. Anyway, it's pretty cool, although I went a little overboard on the detail, there are never THAT many corvettes, especially thieves, in an engagement zone, so what's the worry?

The finished products of both ships will probably be 6k pollies, including the cockpit. I'm going to finish up these babies tomorrow, then start on the assassin!
-Axem

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
nice. does it have a bridge behind that glass, like a fighter cockpit?

Offline Tempest

Sorry to keep the masses waiting:
First, these guys. They've been sitting here for a bit, although i think they are pretty solid. The brigand will go on a diet, though.

And here's the assasin:
-Axem

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I must say, these are all of exceptional quality. Melikes a lot :)

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
*waits for goob to yell out "the fsupgrade project needs you!"*

I recall hijacking 4, maybe 6 of those ion cannon arrays during a single mission. I eventually used them to lure a Taiidani carrier in and steal it  :D.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If there's anything I remember about those ion arrays, it's that the enemy AI always loved to take them down first.  That was true for pretty much anything I stole that I couldn't build myself.  It was like, their revenge or something for me stealing so much crap I shouldn't have had.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
i wish you could steal in fs2.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
The models look nice and detailed.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

i wish you could steal in fs2.

Through scripted events, yes fleet command will steal enemy ships but too bad we cannot enjoy it ourselves... but that is probably for the best as the enemy AI in Homeworld LOVED to ignore everyone and attack salvage corvettes.