Author Topic: The Original Homeworld Mod  (Read 33507 times)

Re: The Original Homeworld Mod
Progress to date ( which got slowed a little by the opening of th Moto GP season and me dusting off my GSX1100 Katana for summer :) )

Its coming along :D Now I'm getting an urge to play HW again.
I have created a masterpiece.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I just played a match over the LAN at school with my friend. Whooped his ass :D

Finally...the Trikor is ready to go into the FS2 engine :D

And..just to relieve the boredom, this is th eearly work on the Kushan Support Frigate. The turret and engine section will form the base for all the other Frigates too, so it will be work that I will get good value from!

nicely done!

Coz I am a sharing kind of guy ..... check this link out :D

http://www.hwshots.hwaccess.net/main.php?g2_itemId=5442

This is where I am getting a lot of my inspiration from, and it's a real treat for Homeworld fans!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I gotta say, that Interceptor is giving me a screaming orgasm :D

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
VERY nice!

Someone had one fo those craft in Sword Anvil Hammer (order?) mod but it was a straight conversion I think. I really like your texture work, it's crisp and viewable at point blank range.  :yes:

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Now I really want to have a Kushan Banana Mommy Ship for lunch! Flying one of those is gonna be sweet!

The big banana is under construction...but it's not a quick build. There will be plenty of greebling and detail :D

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
i wanna fly that trikor!

Trikor is nearly done as far as POF goes. Converted the damn thing, only to find that the thing had re-positioned itself. I need to go back to Max and re-set the origin for the mesh so it doesn't centre it on the hull centre, but rather has the centre offset to the gun side.

It was that way in Max, but the conversion shifted it, leaving the viewpoint outside the ship and the engine glow offset...DOH!

Time to re-set the centre and then re-set the Xform again. Easy job....but annoying!!!!

MAde some more of the Frigate, and started work on the Kushan Corvettes. I need to finish those and the Taiidan ones before I have the basic 'Dogfight' pack ready. Then I will throw together some training missions and get an initial release...then comes the hard work to REALLY finish the rest of the ships :D

Oh, I had that problem once but it had to do with debris appearing out of place. It was all because the pivot was not at center. I guess you already fixed the pivot thing by now. That should do it.

Yeah :) It just bugged me that I didn't spot it until I had finished POF'ing all the details!

You tell me :D, I never knew what the problem was for months!

Mine was easy to spot!

The engine glow, cockpit viewpoint and gun points were all over to one side! Everything was perfectly lined up in Max, and everything was out by exactly the same amount! Could only be the centre, since the conversion process doesn't care what shape the mesh is... it just positions the centre of the object at the 0,0,0 point and goes from there.

The beauty of a forum like this is that you can put mistakes out there so new guys don't make them....or, at least...when they do, they fix them quicker! Now...back to the mesh-making!!!!

For those of you who have been following the progress of the mod, I bring good news!

I am now not a lone-modder .... but I have a TEAM! Well...I have a willing volunteer with a great knowledge of Homeworld and posessing a lot of the skills I lack! Weapons are well underway with proper sounds to go with them. Step forward , Tempest!

We need to do some tweaking of the firepoints and weapon banks to fit with the 6-shot burst weaponry on the scouts, but this is worth the effort.

We have also been through and drawn up the list of ships to build, assigned the names ( canon wherever they exist, and good substitute where they don't ) plus we have finalised what will be in the initial release. This has been made a lot easier by the fact that Tempest suggested a whole load of things which I had already been thinking of doing....and when you have someone else in the team who thinks we need exactly the same things....then it is generally called a 'Good Thing'.

Whilst I have nothing visual to show for all this, it has helped move things along, confirm what we need to do, and get a much more solid plan than my 'build all the ships nad work out what to do next' approach!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
We need to do some tweaking of the firepoints and weapon banks to fit with the 6-shot burst weaponry on the scouts, but this is worth the effort.

A six-shot burst is easy enough to do. Just set a $Shot: count of 6 with an $fov: of, what...0? Check the wiki under weapons.tbl for a more detailed explanation of where those go,etc. :)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
That would make a six shot shotgun

For bursts you would probably want to use either swarm weapons with properly swarmwait values... or tweak the energy settings so that weapons just can not fire more than six shots before being drained.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

We have a definite plan to sort this ...but I only made the guns with a single firepoint, and we don't want the thing to work that way. Instead, I need to give the thing 6 firepoints per bank so it can cycle through the points.

Max is a nice tool for this kind of tweaking! I saved each model in Max with the final setup, so I can easily go back and do this. I just need to note down the eye-points and type that back in after Max makes me a new POF!

Going to take a 10 day break from this though...taking the family away on holiday, and the wife would kill me if I even suggested the portability of a laptop ;)