Author Topic: The Original Homeworld Mod  (Read 33497 times)

Offline Tempest

• The Star Wars Conversion
    • The Fate of the Galaxy - SWC
Re: The Original Homeworld Mod
Thank you guys for all the comments. They're what keep me going. :)

So, maybe a little present is in order.

"... and the klingons also were the soviet's space program. i mean can you really believe that a bunch of communist farmers can make rockets like that?"
-Axem

My photobucket: with all my shiny new stuff on it! http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/Tempest_77/

I never liked fighting those. They always annoy me especially when it comes to fighters and salvagers.
I have created a masterpiece.

Offline Tempest

Heh.
"... and the klingons also were the soviet's space program. i mean can you really believe that a bunch of communist farmers can make rockets like that?"
-Axem

My photobucket: with all my shiny new stuff on it! http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/Tempest_77/

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Eehh...no...I don't like that one. It hardly looks anything at all like the actual in game version :( Especially those turrets hanging off of those giant pylons - the original model had no indication of anything like that, and they look really silly IMO. Also, the big thing on the front, IIRC, is supposed to be antennaes, not some giant probiscus.

Indeed and the turrets are supposed to be single barreled but I like this one alot.

Offline Centrixo

Single barreled and the turret itself from behind view is supposed to be full not so you see the shaft of where the turret hangs off.

the shafts need to be removed.

The antennae need ot be made much more fatter. and the length needs to be increased.
other then that it looks good.
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

Offline Tempest

I can easily change the turrets. I was working off a concept art sketch for them; I liked them but I guess you guys don't. They will stay double barreled, though, because the Skaal-Tel is double barreled and it'd be easier to have the Revelation double barreled as well. If you REALLY want it to be single barreled, I can do that too.

Also, the Ions are going to be redone a bit as well. I didn't have a full version of the ship while I was working on it; the one in the .big file places the turrets at origin so I had to work off of memory. I'm going to remove the shaft, and thicken up the cannon itself.

However, other than the turrets, the ship itself is a very faithful replication of the origional. It's practically the same as the Perdition's hull. If you want a side by side comparison of the meshes of both ships, I could, because they're really similar.

The antennae are NOT going to be fatter. Look at the concept art. It's clear that they're thin poles. IMO, they look much better.

So anyway, I'm going to post an updated version later. Shafts will be removed, turrets will be changed a bit to look more like the ingame ones. Then i'm going to start on the bentusi tradeship.
-Axem

Offline Tempest

UPDATE: Look at the picture again!

Expect something tonight or tomorrow night as well.
-Axem

Oh man, Bentusi is comming. I get the feeling this one is bound to have over 10,000 polies...

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
i really want to see some textures on these.

are you UVmapping them as you go?
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Centrixo

here is something to work with incase you lost some memory  :).
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

Such a small picture that doesn't seem to resize. My resolution is not the size of that puny picture.

Offline Tempest

:wtf: I'm still not sure what the big hoot over the design is. If you REALLY want me to SHOW you, SIDE BY SIDE, the meshes, I will. I can prove that I kept the shape pretty much exactly. Yes, I got more reference pics from ingame and Homeworld Shipyards.

Yeah, I know I said I'd be able to post some new stuff, but I've been busier then I anticipated. Still, I think I'll have something to show this weekend, and on top of that, I bring good news: Flare is alive and well, but he's just really busy. He should have more time in a few weeks. He'll be doing the UVmapping, since he's the main modeler & texturer. I've got enough on my plate as it is. 

So anyways, I'm going to get back to work.

-Axem

Offline Centrixo

Such a small picture that doesn't seem to resize. My resolution is not the size of that puny picture.

well then, get off your ass and find that HW:C disc, shove it in play the first missions, you will see it there. i have just proved my point.

Meanwhile tempest i know you are putting your spare time into this thing, and i would like to see the finished product, but i have never been a fan anything looking different from its original. unfortunatly i found that out when i was 3 years old. But never the less, it would be cool to see this mod added to fs2 and finally playing a fighter in the Hiigaran/Kushan fleet. 

Offline Tempest

Okay, you made me do this.

Please tell me what's so different from the original. Unless you're complaining about the turrets, which I changed to look more like the concept art, or the antennas which are slightly shorter...

Centrixo, I respect your commitment to the origional designs, and I share the belief that increasing detail need not change the shape. I hope that now that you can compare the meshes side by side you can see how similar the ships really are, as the textures may have been throwing you off before.

And here's the newest batch of ships! Comments are very welcome!

And a cryotray
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 09:40:16 pm by Tempest »
-Axem

Offline Centrixo

its just the attenna, it looks like the orginal. i like, i like :). but to try do this proves that pressure envionments are not your thing. sorry for pressuring you tempest.

as for the taiidan, nice, they look like taiidan ships i grew up with. good work.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
I think perhaps the antennae could be made more like those on the front of the Sulaco.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
progress?
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Send in the TMF

• Alpha wing, i mean Alpha 1 go kill that
hey, you think i could download the atack bomber for a freind?

oh btw love the work looks just like HW

keep it up  :D
TMF? what the hell is the TMF?

Offline Tempest

Lots of work is being done behind the scenes.

That said, we're both very busy people, and probably we won't have something to present to you guys that's really playable for a while. Tables are going along smoothly, although the speed of the game may need some tweaking. I'm also hoping to start changing around the HUD to give the mod it's own identity.

Even with my knowledge as a modder, there's still some stuff that is giving me problems. First, I'm struggling with the armor.tbl. I can't seem to create multiple entries and make the game parse anything after the first one. I can make the first armor type, but then any subsequent entries are not recognised when the game reads them in the ships.tbl. It's irritating. I tried to remove the #end, but that just crashed the game altogether. I can't have syntax and functionality at the same time, unfortunatley. Anyone care to shed some light on this? (and help the mod get done sooner)

We also really, really need the power output field working. We simply can't give you a quality product without this working. I grabbed a build in which it worked, but I really need to know if it's going to be operational in the next big SCP release. I don't want to "feature creep" as I think it's called, but there's really no other way to do it. I've always struggled with swarm primaries, because I can't seem to get the fire wait field to work. I like the power output solution better because gun energy will make a difference. Since the player will only manage two energy types, I feel like it's critical to make it important.

So, we're making progress, it's just rather slow. Once flare has more time, we can increase the speed of progress exponentially. I'm thinking about releasing a dogfight pack, maybe ten odd ships, a couple missions, and we're not too far away from that, either. I can't give you any sort of reliable time estimate, so I won't give you one.

If there are any 2D artists who really knows photoshop, and is interested in working with us, shoot me a PM. Preferably you'd have some FS2 modding knowledge but if not I can fill you in. I just have no 2D artistic talent...at all.

Anyway, updates should come at a slower pace because a lot of stuff isn't really of a presentable fashion. I can't show screenies of tables and expect applause :)
-Axem