Author Topic: The Original Homeworld Mod  (Read 33509 times)

Offline GenericCorvette

• Lolikyon~!
Re: The Original Homeworld Mod
Does your armor.tbl look more like this, with each armor type having its own #Armor Type and #End...

Code: [Select]
#Armor Type

$Name: Armor1

$Damage Type: Weap1
+Calculation: Multiplicative
+Value: 0.75

$Damage Type: Weap2
+Value: 0.001

#End

#Armor Type

$Name: Armor2

+Value: 2

+Value: 9001

#End

...or more like this?

Code: [Select]
#Armor Type

$Name: Armor1

+Value: 0.75

+Value: 0.001

$Name: Armor2

+Value: 2

+Value: 9001

#End

Oh and, 'Send in the TMF' really wants a bomber that I'm adding to my mod's tables to look like the Homeworld bomber. It seems that the 'Thanks to:' section of my readme isn't big enough yet.
:|

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,47120.0.html

And - IMO - use 'additive' for simulating armor (== non penetrating hits wont cause any damage, to prevent the classic 'kill/cripple capships with rapid fire peashooter' tactic)...

Also.. What build are you using for testing?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Tempest

• The Star Wars Conversion
    • The Fate of the Galaxy - SWC
Like the first one.

Oh, and I'm using an armor system very much like that. Here's how it works.

I really only want armor to effect mass drivers and missiles, so they have the "kinetic" damage type.

Each class of ships has additive armor. Corvettes take 2 off the damage, Frigates take 3 off, Destroyers take 4 off, and anything larger takes 5 off. This makes smaller mass drivers useless against larger ships, exponentially favoring larger calibres. Frigate armor will make a huge difference against smaller peashooters, but almost no difference against the 42cm mass driver. So smaller mass drivers have a higher DPS when you don't factor in armor, but are usless against larger ships.

I decided against changing Ion Cannons and Plasma bombs right now...after all, any change in how they work will screw over fighters or capships, so I don't want to touch them.

In addition, I turned off auto subsystem repair for fighters, and enabled hull repair and subsystem repair for frigates and larger. It's better that way.

I can send the bomber, although I want to do a bit of work on the wings first but otherwise the geometry is done. It's not mapped yet, though.
"... and the klingons also were the soviet's space program. i mean can you really believe that a bunch of communist farmers can make rockets like that?"
-Axem

My photobucket: with all my shiny new stuff on it! http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/Tempest_77/

Offline Tempest

Just to prove that we're not dead.
Just comatose.

It's still a work in progress, so any comments? Other than the massive areas with no detail?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 09:42:45 pm by Tempest »
"... and the klingons also were the soviet's space program. i mean can you really believe that a bunch of communist farmers can make rockets like that?"
-Axem

My photobucket: with all my shiny new stuff on it! http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/Tempest_77/

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Incredible work! :yes: :yes:

Offline Maxwell

any comments? Other than the massive areas with no detail?
On this kind of model it looks like you'd let the textures do most of the work.

Looks like it would be an awesome piece of scenery to fly around  :D

Offline Mav

Looks like it would be an awesome piece of scenery to fly around  :D
That's just the role it already took in HW 1 ;) - though with a lot less detail then here... :cool:

Damn - the more pics I see of this mod, the more I want to already be playing it... :cool: :yes:  ( -> keep up the good work :) )

Too sad they took the cockpit-perspective out for Homeworld 2... :(
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
-----------------------------------
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Excelent work guys, i have been thinking on using 3D exploration and Truespace to convert ships directly from the PEO files of Homeworld to Freespace and working a bit with the weapon and ship tables, i think instead of focusing with the armors you would need to focus more in hitpoints since in the homeworld code there was no such thing as stronger armors, just more HP, and if you make Cap ships armors to strong against fighter weapons it would kill the feeling of using 24 Taidaan scouts to shred to pieces a heavy cruiser and it would keep also things like the fac that heavy cruiser single shot is supposed to take down a fighter instantly, trusth me, i have mooded homeworld for looooooonng time and i really think is better to deal with HP instead of armors.
anyway great work guys, keep it up, i hope to see this mod as a standalone soon, and if you need help with info about the homeworld code or help with the ship and weapon tables call mel.

IDK, I guess it depends on what you wanna go for more, the homeworld feel or the semi-realistic feel.  I mean, come on, machine guns don't do much damage to tanks at all, whereas RPGs do.  I think it should be the same when thinking about a scout's railgun vs an AB's plasma bombs.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline Tempest

We're going for the homeworld feel, but the armor exists so that fighters cannot hurt capital ships as much unless they have plasma bombs. We may adjust the damages on the frigate and cruiser mass drivers as well, to make them more powerful, since an interceptor has enough HP to survive a cruiser mass driver shot.

Anyone who can UVmap and texture, and wants to help out, shoot me a PM. We simply don't have much time on our own and we've got a lot of nice models sitting around waiting for mapping.

-Axem

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Ah Homeworld. From the fustration of mobbing 6 cruisers with 35 strike craft to rolling over the Taiidan fleet with my 12 multibeam frigates (<3 those babies). This does bring back memories.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Tempest

Progress is resuming on the project. (Gotta stay ahead of TAP at any cost)

I'm going to make an effort to finish the core Kushan shipset, get it textured, and release a demo. This will obviously be much faster if there are any mappers or texturers around. If you have the skills, and this looks interesting, let me know.

As you can see, I've departed a bit from flarebaffled's curvy look. In all honsesty, the Kushan ships should be very hard-edged if at odd angles except with a select few of their vessels. The kind of mechanical hard feel I think better suits the universe. Yes, the missile corvettes fire missiles, too.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 09:43:02 pm by Tempest »
-Axem

lol @ staying ahead of TAP.

Good to have you back.  I'd like to see this finished.

Now I just gotta dig around my messy room until I find my old package of useful skillsTM.  I really wish I could be of some help.

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
The original HW was one of my fav games a good time ago, and those models look sw33t!  can't wait to try this mod out.  :cool:
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline Tempest

A needle? Or baseball bat?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 09:43:36 pm by Tempest »
-Axem

Offline Tempest

Sorry about the double post, but the Needleship is almost done.

This sucker will use a lot of normal maps for the beehive style hull.
-Axem

Offline Tempest

I promised this a long time ago, and a promise is a promise.

Edit: More goodness
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 09:43:53 pm by Tempest »
-Axem

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
ooo nice bentusii (spellings?) ship   :D
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline Send in the TMF

• Alpha wing, i mean Alpha 1 go kill that

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TMF? what the hell is the TMF?

Hey, that screenshot is from the first mission in Homeworld!  Does this mean you're close to a working demo? :D