Author Topic: Impressed  (Read 6263 times)

OK - I'll start with an admission:

I spend most gaming time playing hard core racing sims, both on-line and offline (started with GPL/Grand Prix Championship and now nkpro on line league)) and never really got into the space sims but Freespace 2 was THE exception. I loved the game and payed it avidly but then lent it to a mate and kinda forgot about it - then like somebody else mentioned here, started thinking about it a week or so ago and started to look for the game.  E-launder had a few copies but then I came across HLP - awesome job guys :)

Took me a while to figure it all out and there was much cursing into the early hours while trying and failing to get it all running. But then after properly reading the FAQs/WIKI, these boards and much trial and error it all started to work (thats half the fun of this type of thing - I mean its just plain dull loading up a CD/DVD and running the game after 5 mins)

As I said I spend a lot of time on racing sims and their various mods, the majority of which are high quality - the quality of the FS2/FS1mods and associated installer is easily equal to that. The good lady of the house is now quite distressed to think that there is another PC sim that will absorb me that comes with shedloads of quality MODS.

Keep it up guys - great work

Offline Centrixo

I have just retired from online racing 1 week ago, i am also 3 time world champion on 2 different leagues. (under different alias) i have raced many online racing games.

Yeah.. the lure of freespace is hard to resist! :p. How i found myself on hl scp forums is through another space game called freelancer.
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

Offline Excalibur

• Forsee a new beginning.
I want to know when I can beam someone. :D
His legacy will last until the beginning.

Offline neoterran

:welcome:

if you have to ask when, you fail :D
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I want to know when I can beam someone. :D

As soon as you make your own Welcome speech?

Took me a while to figure it all out and there was much cursing into the early hours while trying and failing to get it all running. But then after properly reading the FAQs/WIKI, these boards and much trial and error it all started to work (thats half the fun of this type of thing - I mean its just plain dull loading up a CD/DVD and running the game after 5 mins)

As I said I spend a lot of time on racing sims and their various mods, the majority of which are high quality - the quality of the FS2/FS1mods and associated installer is easily equal to that. The good lady of the house is now quite distressed to think that there is another PC sim that will absorb me that comes with shedloads of quality MODS.

Keep it up guys - great work

See?  This is why we need a New User Guide linky: (Click to see the poll:)

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
Oh come on, welcome him properly:

All batteries........ target fastcasters. Open fire!

Welcome to the HLP Station. Exits are located to the right, left, up, down, and 4th-dimensionally. However all of them are blocked, except the 4-d one, and no one's yet figured how to reach it. In the event of a landing of any kind, you can and will be used as a flotation device. Do not feed the resident Shivan Carl (or me for that matter...) as he will become voracious and chew your leg off. You can find him in the ventilation duct. Throw him your lunch and he'll leave you alone (usually). Flamethrowers can be found under your seat but due to financial constraints have been re-filled with holy water. Plasma rifles can be found in storage lockers. To prevent act of n00b, however, these can only be opened by Moderators, Volition, GOD or a hyperintelligent shade of BluE. Please remember that any attempt to use the ASCII characters 0046h, 0053h, and 0033h in sequential order will result in you being trampled by FreeSpace fan boys. If you go in the Vasudan section of the station and find a box labelled “Headz”, please don’t open it. Thank you and enjoy your stay!

As you were, gentlemen. :D
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project

<do you know that only the kill goes to the first member that welcomes a newbie?>

Welcome to the HLPBB, fastcasters. I joined the community exactly one year ago! ;)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I will have been on HLP next Monday!

MY grand-entrance was the happy little 'Inferno SCP Storyline Gripes' thread. THE ONLY ONE WITH THE GARGANT SCREENSHOTS!!! So :ha:

hehe  :yes:

Thanks guys

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Yeah, they can go a little overboard with the welcome thing.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
<do you know that only the kill goes to the first member that welcomes a newbie?>

Oh God. :rolleyes: See that sentence right there? That's encapsulates exactly what pisses me off about the welcome speech these days. FFS, it was funny five or six years ago, when you knew what all the jokes meant. But you don't, and you never did, and now you're keeping count. Just stop. Seriously. Nobody cares. It's nice for the newbies maybe, but it's not a competition. ****ing hell.

Anyway, new guy. We're not normally ranty *****es like I've just been. We solve problems and mod a little and... stuff. We're... nice.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I've already said I'm banning anyone who starts keeping count over on Game Warden. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I wholeheartedly agree with BW. The weclome speech/ritual has become a horribly mutilated shadow of its former self.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Oh poop, a welcome that i missed, Kudos for the good taste in SCS by the way. :)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
See, here I thought the welcome beam / speech was just, you know, to, umm... welcome people  :confused:

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
It's the beam/speech thing that makes this community so welcoming, sure there are in-jokes in the speech, but if you are here long enough, you get to learn these in-jokes. It also evolves over time as another newb takes up the mantle to welcome other newer newbs and more community in jokes are added. the :v: gods, Carl and hyper intelligent shade of blue are all part of the tradition, the newer the newb, the younger the community in joke is!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Do any of you who use the Welcome speech actually know any of the references behind it? Like Carl, for instance?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Carl once said he owned some Shivan-related domain or something...

Meh... No.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Do any of you who use the Welcome speech actually know any of the references behind it? Like Carl, for instance?

Yes. I've actually talked to the real Carl.

I don't use the welcome beam anymore. I post enough already.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Killfrenzy

• Slaughter-class cruiser
  • Randomly Existing
I know all about Carl.

However, I was the one that once set up the Official Shivan Fan Club.

Go figure.  ;7
Death has more impact than life, for everyone dies, but not everyone lives. [/b]
-Tomoe Hotaru (Sailor Saturn
------------
Founder of Shadows of Lylat