Author Topic: EA Starfury need a new but uhm...  (Read 25566 times)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Bigoudi

Re: EA Starfury need a new but uhm...
tks for tuto andrews but i use unwrap uv from max i use this one beter.

I just want know one thing i dont know how many have try my ship but it look good or not.

no one say if like or not.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I would just like to mention that BWO will have a 5,000 light fighter and a 12,000 poly bomber, built by the guy who also happened to design the renderer engine. I have told you people "so many times" that unless the model it in the 3 or 4 thousand range it's not going to make much difference, fewer polys per ship DOES NOT equal more ships in game. if a chunk of geometry has less than 1000 polys it's basically being waistfull with a valuable rendering call. I've been trying to explain this to you for years now, having models with polycounts in the hundreds really will not help any.

and new guy, the most important thing you must do is use only one texture map for the ship (maybe a second for the cockpit) THAT is what is important here, a ship with 10,000 polys and one texture will render faster than a ship with 2,000 and two textures.

and just about anything would look better than the 1998 through back that is currently being used, TBP really needs to renovate some of it's models, but they need to not scare off new blood first.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Mungrel

Well done Bigoudi, its looking good.   :yes:

Bobboau, if the poly-count doesn't matter then why use lod's at all? I thought the point of the lods was to speed things up by reducing the poly count. Could you explain a bit more why please? :confused:

a ship with 10,000 polys and one texture will render faster than a ship with 2,000 and two textures.

Like to know more about this too!

It would be so cool if i we could have higher poly ships without the slow down though!  :nod:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 11:47:51 pm by Mungrel »

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well, over about 1000 polycounts do start haveing an effect, that's were the LODs come in.
and the basics about how this works is, FSO uses batching, it draws all polys related to a texture with one call.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Bigoudi can make his Star Fury any poly count he likes as far as I'm concerned. ;
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Bigoudi

Wow really interesting thing around my star fury it day. :P

tks around to find it my ship nice. WA no limit polycount ^^ only one map on ship wow dont know can do this.
but uhm now i feel my last polycount will by probably perfect with only one map. actualy count is 3350.

Now im to chek all part of my ship for the external view prob... aparently wrong modeling somewhere becose
at some part ship is correctly in place and some another ship part camera return far again.

hey about this polycount make sure about how many i can use for ship before map, i dont want map 2 or 3 time same thing. i just remember me the model with 5700 face was just perfectly as i like.

And Bobboau ((( important question a ship with 10,000 polys and one texture will render faster than a ship with 2,000 and two textures.))) if a ship use 10k polys how need to modeling it close like a box or can have some open part on ship how exactly work this >> draws all polys related to a texture with one call.

Ow and TBP really needs to renovate some of it's models  :D

Yes i think to i have see many another ship they need a litle level up, i like alot when i play some mission with my fury like 10 of them turn around me this new modeling this change completly face of the game.

here a litle link there is where i find many of my model from B5 only high polycount model's.
http://homepage.eircom.net/~bcelestia/

im care about modeling im a old close hard surface modeler but i have stop 3D becose bored to make my all thing alone for nothing never find a way to work with. him just happy here to make this fury.

So far i remember me last thing i tryed to make got 780,000 poly but lost project unfinished model & no map.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
You can make it a billion polys for all I care. It won't get in the release I'm working on anyway and I'm bored to tears of fighting this battle.

Offline Bigoudi

Yes yes i understand it.

i will try to make a good end relase so can try on any mission if got crash or else and if finaly will be in relase or not i hold for me np. but now im fixed on this cam prob cant make anything more before this is resolved.

Offline Bigoudi

Omg sry if i boring pple here with my ship.

But i have turn so long around this camera probleme becose i used PCS 1.43 dont know PCS 2 is there somewhere on this forum.

max radius changed and camera in place so easy.

:(

Offline Mungrel

FSO uses batching, it draws all polys related to a texture with one call.

Thanks Bobboau, interesting.  :)

The reason I've asked is,  I've started to learn some opengl at the NeHe site and, well, lets just say as a avid gamer with some modding experience, i had no friggin idea how complicated all this is. I mean, ya make a model, convert it, fred it, without really understanding how it works!

Get down to the vertice level, and things look totally different (my rose colored glasses have well and truely been smashed :D ).

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I don't frequent this forum so sorry for not answering earlier,

Bigoudi, if I understand your question, you don't have to do anything special just assign the same texture to every poly.
and open meshes are fine.

and I wouldn't say there is no poly limit, there is a significant penalty for using more than 65536 unique verticies (unique in that they have a different position, UV space and lighting normal) and there is a hard limit of 2^32 verts. but in reality I have that bomber future proofed, I'm expecting at least a year's worth of time before it gets released and I want to not have to worry too much if it takes longer. in addition I'm using a feature known as detail boxes to augment the LOD system, you can define a box for a model were the model will draw only if the observer is within that box. detail boxes are not really that useful on smaller ships (the bomber I'm using it on is exceptionally large) it was designed more for large ships.

I would suggest shooting shooting for a poly count between 3000 and 6000.

anyway, you also are looking for a link to PCS2? there is a link in my sig. keep in mind PCS2 is still very much being worked on and there may be problems with it. this thread will keep you up to date on what is working and what is being fixed.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
[Tomcat and Bobboau's posts deleted]

The poly count debate is over. Bigoudi can use as many polies as he likes, We will all continue to disagree over what constitutes a good poly count. In the same way we disagree over what constitutes good coffee or an attractive woman. But on the grounds that everyone knows what we think we will all shut up about it. Now I will hear no more of it. Or else I will once again have to kick ass and chew gum, and I'm all out of gum.

Hugs and kisses.
Your moderator.

Offline Bigoudi

Ok pilot's for now the new EAsf will stay in B5 prototype station.

im on else thing for now i understand carefully TBP dont really need new ship.

when i close my model with map & distance lod optimisation.

i will post here like a optional ship, every all like it can use and finaly time will say if is agree after some year
from the high TBP consul.

Bobboau tks for this detail box.

i dont know how long i need to close this model. Tks again for all help from moderator & another pple here
about this first ship i try to do.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
If you want you can post your WIP stuff here, and I'll add it to my TODO pile.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Bigoudi

uuhhhhhh o.O what exactly mean >TODO< pile.

no no i hold it all i send something when ship is finish.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I meant my pile of various unfinished models. It was just a suggestion in case you loose interest in finishing the model.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Bigoudi

ow ow i see what u mean i probably boring to finish my ship to make a good relase.

sure if i feel i dont want any more make it i send 3dsmax project here. but modeling is close map is 80% draw
i just have to uv's.

Offline Bigoudi

Ok hi there long time no new about my fury.

i have recently find a french team they want do a mod for fs2, im the official modler for now on this team i have to creat many ship rruuhh.

but i dont forgot this project so i post a litle new lod-0 pic, is not really more optimised but i have hard work about 3 day on map from ship.

ship look like a workshop toy, shine and glow is down, uved on one map.

the bored thing is now make all lod's and re map again every lod's :(.

http://www.uploading.com/files/CPXEUHMO/preview12.jpg.html

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
 :yes2: :yes:

really cool (again, I've say)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."