Author Topic: How would the Terrans/Vasudans on Earth react to the GTVA - Knossos  (Read 23883 times)

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
Re: How would the Terrans/Vasudans on Earth react to the GTVA - Knossos
I'd say that neither of you can resist starting a heated debate about something especially if one of you is already participating in it. Oh well at least it gives the General Freespace DISCUSSION forum some badly needed discussion. And it is fun to watch you arguing.
The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I remember THAT Battleship debate. With dread and fear. Then were was that Sathanas debate. And that religious debate. Seriously, can't you guys just get along peacefully?

That ended up in a lockage IIRC, but it was a good one. A lot of good argument were made, but eventually it ended like this one - with the "it can go either way depending on how you interpret the canon data" conclusion.

Get along peacefully? What, you think we're fighting? This is all just good friendly fun :p

I'd say that neither of you can resist starting a heated debate about something especially if one of you is already participating in it. Oh well at least it gives the General Freespace DISCUSSION forum some badly needed discussion. And it is fun to watch you arguing.

Hear that Kaj? Maby we should start charging admissions! Fun isn't free! :lol:

Had you simply said "Fair point but I think Sol would probably lose" here. I would have said that's a fair opinion even if I disagree with it and that would have been the end of the matter.
True, but then we wouldn't have had this long, interesting and fun thread. Besides, I needed a few more posts from my HLP card pwr lvl 9 ;7

« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 06:30:43 pm by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Actually I'd be more than happy to have had the discussion without feeling the need to argue.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline eliex

Everyone would desire that, except unfortunately people don't like going down. <sad . . .  :( >

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Actually I'd be more than happy to have had the discussion without feeling the need to argue.

Excellent...but it might not be that fun for the public...and I already started charging admissions.. what if they want a refund?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I could call you names while agreeing with you if need be. :p

Offline eliex

Charging admissions?

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well since its so fun some sort of taxes must be made! Too much fun and no menoy is no good .

However all this gooing back and forth over different asumptions and questions has made think of something else of some interest.

When the GTVA reopenes the node to Sol what makes you believe that the node will stay opened for very long. I mean this is a question noone asked yet. It could be they can only maintain the node open for only x period of time before it colapses again since stabilizing an unstable node and reopening a colapsed node are 2 different things.

also if they do manage to open up a node or to put it simple contruct a node via knossos gate who would say that 2 gates from 2 different sistems can not be linked toghether.

We already have some sort of hint that such a thing is posible from that mission with the maras where you take out some com nodes or whatever. seeing as how they did not recognize any star patterns this could mean they were way out of any known space mappened by the GTVA or spotted via telescope or something like that!

If that is the case and such a thing would be posible then would it be safe to asume that the shivans used that node they created via capella supernova to jump all of they fleet to a different part of the galaxi? Perhaps even to Sol?

If so then the posibilaties of this tech are imesurable. 

Im still not convinced TMan isnt a shivan undercover agant so im gooing to keep a beam lock on him! :D
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I have absolutely no idea what you mean by linking jump gates together but the possibility of the Terran Knossos only working for a short time is an interesting one.

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well i was refering to linkin a knossos from Delta Serpentis to another one from lets say regulus thus creating one giant direct connection via subspace!
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Hmmm. Another one of those debates where everyone thinks they're right, an no one knows that it's ok sometimes to be wrong and admit defeat. Certainly since sol right now here on the hlp has "flight of the ego's" going on, surely the gtva would win :lol:

It's good everyone agrees that sol in general is rich in resources. An ok amount of solid planets, and tons of moons oh god. Did i mention the asteroid belt, jupiter, saturn, uranus for good resource collecting? No way, everyone already knew about this. Earth would probably build up it's forces, but i don't think anything crazy big, i'd say it'd probably be slightly bigger than the most gtva vessels in one system at a time somewhere else in the galaxy (and that's a lot of ships right there too). Earth would not only have the resources to build more stuff, but probably the man power, i doubt the human population is going to shrink with everyone falling in love with bad finances, ****ing, and having numerous accidental children just for the welfare support and or sympathy from other people :lol: The more that our surroundings get smaller the bigger the population will get (the idea that the world was bigger before information technology...and also before other technology). There could be another mass extinction event sort of like the black plague of 1347, but i doubt it. Modern science and preventative measures for most things dangerous do bring up longevity for everybody who listens and takes stuff to mind, even while the world still has little kids jumping off of buildings imitating a WoW special move in real life.

But, anyway. The gtva shouldn't have blown up the original knossos, if they had a chance at doing it (which they did, but the gtva was too busy scanning the dumb thing to think of my idea because in fs i can travel to future, and then back into the past and know what exactly to anticipate...this game has a high replayability value to it) they should have used my idea. Dismantle the knossos, The knossos has several pieces to it, they can be separated and towed through a node. And then you have a real knossos for sol :nod:
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I could call you names while agreeing with you if need be. :p

That wouldn't fool the mases. We'll just find something else to "seemingly" argue about. We'll set everything up beforehand like wrestling. We'll have to write a list of topic to argue about and a list of answers and counter-answers, but we'll have to make it convincing. After all, the dopes around here can't know it's all staged...Oh wait, did I say all of this out loud?

Im still not convinced TMan isnt a shivan undercover agant so im gooing to keep a beam lock on him! Big grin

*fires AlphaOne!!!!! with his head mounted particle cannon..  Leaves no witnesses.*

But, anyway. The gtva shouldn't have blown up the original knossos, if they had a chance at doing it (which they did, but the gtva was too busy scanning the dumb thing to think of my idea because in fs i can travel to future, and then back into the past and know what exactly to anticipate...this game has a high replayability value to it) they should have used my idea. Dismantle the knossos, The knossos has several pieces to it, they can be separated and towed through a node. And then you have a real knossos for sol

Exactly! Come to think of it, from a purely engineering standpoint it shouldn't be that hard to construct a knossos.. It's made out of 4 large and 4 small individual parts, and you can construct each in a different shipyard. It would be like making 4 destroyers and 4 corvettes at the same time.

Just for the sake of argument, there is bound to be more than one way to build the portal. The Ancient's version looked pretty stylized and decorative. It's just possible that they have a habit of building their version of aesthetics into their tech - sort of like today's auto industry for example. If just the absolute essentials were considered by each manufacturer, cars would look even more alike than they do between different manufacturers.

Nonfunctional design is also the theme of the Shivan and Vasudan space craft. You have to wonder why a race would do such a thing, because it is ultimately more difficult to sculpt a product's shape and still retain expected performance than to stick to a no-frills functional design, not to mention more costly (especially the Shivans with their swarm principal of battle tactics). Although psychological shock can be a factor at times, generally it is something that quickly wears off.

What is kind of odd is that after all the scanning of the Knossos in Gamma Draconis, that the GTVA did not simply attempt to turn it off instead of blowing it up. According to canon, the NTC Trinity had turned on the Knossos in the first place. Why not shut it off? Why would blowing it up make sense at all?

To go along with Alpha's idea, it actually makes a bit of sense that Knossos gates could be constructed to link other systems together that do not have an existing shared subspace pathway. This could make for some interesting economic and military shifts in the status quo. That is of course if the technology will support this, or if it merely is capable of stablizing an existing node.
All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
And a laughing yarn from a merry fellow rover.
And a quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.
- JOHN MASEFIELD

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
That is assuming that the GTVA know how to turn it off. It took Bosch several months of research to figure out how to turn it on and given that the Trinity was destroyed and Bosch was by that point in the Nebula there might not have been anyone left who knew how to turn it off.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
...Not to mention that turning a node on/off might take a bit of time.  This isn't a lightbulb; it's a subspace corridor.  :rolleyes:

Valid point of course Kara, still, if the eggheads think they can recreate the thing, it's not that far fetched that they might be able to figure out how to shut it down. Of course that wouldn't be quite so dramatic as a giant kaboom from the developer's viewpoint.

As for the complexity involved in the task, again possibly valid, however no evidence to support nor rule out that this is the case, merely speculation. Again, I think it's pretty much the dramatics involved in the explosive solution which appealed to the devs - it's a lot harder to make throwing a switch exciting than a big detonation.
- JOHN MASEFIELD

Offline neo_hermes

• MmmmmmNode!
  • What the hell are you lookin at?
with sol gone the colonies could have started a "procreate don't let mankind end here!" program.  :nervous:
Hell has no fury like an0n...
killing threads is...well, what i do best.

with sol gone the colonies could have started a "procreate don't let mankind end here!" program.

Well, sure they could have... but so could Sol...

Point is in this case there's no way either side would have anything really concrete on what the other side is up to - or if they exist at all anymore.
- JOHN MASEFIELD

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

True...but Sol probably has a bigger living space issue.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

True...but Sol probably has a bigger living space issue.

Do you realize just how big star systems are? I'm sure given their technology they could probably colonize all of the jovian planets and moons, some asteroids, and build numerous space stations. If Earth could support 7 billion people now (barely), I'm sure mars could eventually be adapted to support a billion, maybe Venus, too. Mercury would be only a bit harder to colonize than the moon, but no harder than Venus. Then there are space stations. For whatever possible population increase in Sol, there would still be more than enough room to build space stations to accommodate the people.

Trust me, there is no problem with living space in Sol.