Poll

What is your favourite capital ship in Freespace 2 (try to pick Shivan and Terran)

Sathanas
Lucifer (Not in the game I know, but it can be placed in FRED)
Orion
Colossus
Leviathan
Ravana
Demon
Rakshasa
Sobek
Hatsheput
Iceni
Cain
Lilith (practically same as cain but oh well)
Hippocrates
Arcadia (more of a base really but still It's a significant installation)
Deimos
Aeolous

Author Topic: Favourite Cap ship  (Read 46321 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Moloch is the weakest corvette in the game. 3 SReds and no SAAA... Just a few blobbers, missile lobbers and flak poopers. And they never actually launch fighters in the main campaign.

Offline Clawandfang

• Resident writer
Maybe they just launch fighters when your back is turned.... heh. Even a weak corvette is still a fair adversary though.
No one lives in the slums because they want to. It's like this train. It can't go anywhere except where its rails take it.

If you're interested in the classic film, "The Land Before Time", then come visit a land before time forum.

Maybe they just launch fighters when your back is turned.... heh. Even a weak corvette is still a fair adversary though.
For a single fighter, yes. I think the Moloch is weak because it needs internal space for its fighterbay. Therefore it can't carry as much reactors as the other Shivan ships.

Think of the Moloch as a Shivan mini-Hecate and it isn't a bad ship.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
The Moloch can take out any cruiser in the game, including the rather powerful Aeolus and Rakshasa. The Moloch can also attack a destroyer, supported by wings of fighters and bombers, and have a fair chance of taking it out

Basically it does everything a corvette should, it just isn't as effective as the Deimos or Sobek in some cases.

Keep in mind a Moloch can easily take out a Deimos or Sobek if they're at longer range.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
I doubt that a Moloch could take a Lilith.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I doubt an Orion can take a Lilith... (it does kill it, but its usually killed in the process...or is left with less that 10%)
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Depends on how the Orion and the Lilith are positioned.

Offline blowfish

Depends on how the Orion and the Lilith are positioned.

You could say that for almost any warship duel.

Offline Kie99

Coming towards each other head to head the Lilith usually wins.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Broadside the Lilith would probably get disarmed.

Offline Kie99

It's still quite funny to see this comparatively tiny ship blowing an Orion to hell while shrugging off about 3 concurrent beam hits towards the end.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hold on ppl dont go around bashing the Orion or ani other cap ship when compared to the Lilith. I mean that thins is a god damn cruiser but has destroyer class weaponry on it. I mean the beam cannon on that blasted thing is just too powerfull.

Also if you wanna be fair then give the Aeolous 2 LRBG that should make things about even in terms of actual beam dammage output. Why 2? Because the LRed can outshoot any of its similar weapons from the GTVA what 3 times in a row ????

Also the Moloch is well like the Hecate ment to do everithing just nothing in a reasonably good way.

The Hecate is an OK destroyer but it should of had a LOT more fighters and bommber on it in order to be a true C7C destroyer or at least provide a sensor advantage over other warships. But anyway what we should see is a massive increase in HP for alliance warships in order to make them more durable in front of shivan beam cannons.

Also i wanted to vote at some point for the Leviathan. Why? Well because that thing slow as it may be is still one of the most powerfull cruisers in game when considering its 4 AAAf beams. crap i dont think even a Deimos has that many AAAf beams.

And its OLd and i mean really old. That thing is as old as the Fenris almost. The fact that is still in service with the GTVA is a sign of its simple robust reliable and powerfull design.

Hell its no use getting to the battlefield faster if you arive there and you have nothing to shoot at the enemy with. And lets just say taking on 2 Levi's withouth the added help of a Maxim or a Treb is well suicide ppl. Those AAAF beams can tear you up fater then you realize what hit you.
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline blowfish

Also the Moloch is well like the Hecate ment to do everithing just nothing in a reasonably good way.

The Hecate has perhaps the best anti-fighter defenses of any destroyer in the game (the Hattie comes close though).  It has rather weak anti-warship weaponry though.

crap i dont think even a Deimos has that many AAAf beams.

The Deimos does have 4 anti-fighter beams.  One on each side and two on the back of the second engine pod.  The Leviathan's are better placed, however.

Hold on ppl dont go around bashing the Orion or ani other cap ship when compared to the Lilith. I mean that thins is a god damn cruiser but has destroyer class weaponry on it. I mean the beam cannon on that blasted thing is just too powerfull.

Also if you wanna be fair then give the Aeolous 2 LRBG that should make things about even in terms of actual beam dammage output. Why 2? Because the LRed can outshoot any of its similar weapons from the GTVA what 3 times in a row ????

Fair? What's that? Is that what you buy to get on a bus?
    The Lilith isn't "too" powerful, it's just powerful. Because of course, it's Shivan.
    Though I don't know why anyone complains about the Lilith anyway, I think we only ever see one in the main FS2 campaign. It may be powerful but it's also bloody rare, far more rare than fan-made campaigns tend to make out.

Offline Droid803

The SC Hela (Their Finest Hour) is the only canon FS2 Lilith.
(´・ω・`)

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Hecate may have the best AAAF for a destroyer that is but it doesnt hold a candle to other warships.

Also the Hattie has more heavy beam cannons that the Hecate i think it has 3 Bvas as oposed to the Hecates 1 Bgreen . And that is mounted in the front. Other then that it just has the plain old Slasher type beams.

Also since the Lilith is cannon i dont even care if we see just one of them in the main campaign we can asume there are lots more out there. and with a cruiser that can turn a Hecate into nothing fast i say that ship is pretty powerfull. Perhaps it wont be able to take out a Hattie but i think it can take out an Orion before the Orion has time to take it out. Or at least inflinct huge damage to even the mighty Orion.

I mean ppl the Lilith has a fricking LRed mounted on it. Thats like mounting a Mjolnir on a Leviathan or a Aeolus. Now that would be awesome. Also is it just me or is taking out the Aeolus harder then taking out a Deimos??? I mean ive had more trouble with that cruiser then with a full blown corvette. The shivan corvette i dont even bother with it since i can choose just about any spot i want hammer away fast its aaaf defences and stuff and just hammer it into submision. The Cain is even more useless. The Ravana well the Ravana can be disarmed ridiculously fast and easy almost as easy as i can disarm an Orion.

I believe the Demon is a bit harder to disarm and take out and should be considered a greather threat to GTVA then the Ravana since well if the ravana doesnt come in really close to take out your warship fast then well you can rest asured that it will get either destroyed or disarmed really fast and all it will have are its fighter/bommber stored on board. And if youhappen to have a Deimos near you well lets just say all those fighters and bommbers will be pretty much useless.
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline blowfish

Also is it just me or is taking out the Aeolus harder then taking out a Deimos??? I mean ive had more trouble with that cruiser then with a full blown corvette.

I've noticed this too.  The Deimos does have better anti-fighter defenses (statistically speaking), but it is much larger and the way they are spread on the hull means that you will only be facing a couple of dangerous turrets at a time.  The way the defenses are laid out on the Aeolus, you usually have 3 flak guns and 1 AAAf shooting at you.  The fact that it is smaller means that its blind spots are smaller too.

Offline Droid803

Every ship has gaping blind spots if you know where to hide.
Except the Aeolus. You need to MAKE that blind spot by destroying the side-mounted AAAf and Flak Cannon and assuming their position. Then, you can hide there and pound its brains out. But that's Alpha 1 syndrome. No sane pilot flies that close to a ship and parks there. Especially not when you need to be going in all guns blazing at full burn to stand a chance of survival.

A Leviathan is worse though. Yea sure, no flaks, but the AAAf turrets are TINY. Its virtually impossible to hit them with primaries...meaning you have to waste a missile.

The Deimos's upper surface is virtually undefended. THTs are not a threat unless you have no shields, which shouldn't happen since no flaks are pointed that way.
(´・ω・`)

Offline blowfish

I find that the Aeolus has a small blind spot a few hundred meters directly behind it (right outside the engine wash).  Its difficult to get perfectly into it, as if you're off by just a few meters, you will have flak gunz and AAA beamz hammering you.