Author Topic: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.  (Read 3061845 times)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Re: W-H-I-Y-L - Asante Sana Squash Banana.
yes.  multiple times.  for some reason there's some kind of stigma against us being on call instead of just already at work.
I like to stare at the sun.

yes.  multiple times.  for some reason there's some kind of stigma against us being on call instead of just already at work.

Silly questions from somebody who's never been in that situation: Whoever is on duty gets paid right? Overtime? And finally, if there's nothing to do, is there any rule against napping or playing DS or something?

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Yes, we get paid.  And while it doesn't sound bad to get paid sitting around doing nothing but napping or dicking around on the internet, there comes a point when no matter how much they are paying you for it, you just want to not be at ****ing work anymore.  That point was about 8 months ago. 

There's also the fact that even if we have nothing to do, that doesn't stop really stupid/petty bull****, or just everyone else's problems that we shouldn't have to put up with from falling on us.  We're the ones everyone comes crying to when they don't know what the **** they are doing or want someone to do their **** for them.  Things that we should absolutely not be involved in will get laid at our feet simply because we are there and everything is "I don't know, ask the STE."  I had to stay late right before our Christmas holiday because another division's isolation for a valve repair didn't hold and they weren't there to deal with it.  Or answering their phones.

And no to the DS thing, we can't have cameras.  I have an ipod and the government version of the internet.  Which basically means wikipedia.  Cracked and youtube work at night.  Maybe all day on the weekends, but I haven't had a daytime weekend shift in a really long time.  I would bring in my hard drive of movies, but we can't plug anything in to work computers.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Getting paid to just sit around at work isn't nearly as cushy as most people who don't have to do that seem to think.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Exile
- I have f***ing hangover.
- I'm watching Firefly for the 6 time in my life.
- I'm thinking about a girl that I don't to think about o___O.
- I will finish next chapter of my novel today... I hope so.
- I'm sleepy but I can't sleep -___-
- I have to start making Mystery Project trailer.

And this day sucks. Really sucks. It's cold, dark, it's raining...
Thanks for Your support and attention :)
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I used to cart in a bunch of books for those night shifts where there is ****-all to do and you have to be there anyway.

FYI, for those who aren't employed by government, on-call is efficient but is somehow less justifiable for salary dollars than full shifts.  I know, it makes no sense to any of us either.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Our version of on-call is a less official off the books kind of deal.  We don't get paid if we don't actually go in.  They do usually pad our time by an hour or two on such occasions though.  The trades shops.... whole different story.  I heard an offhand comment about paying a shop worker 12 hours to come in just to restart a ventilation unit on a weekend.  And then go back home.  Because none of the rest of us are "qualified" to press a goddamn button.  Unions are wonderful, aren't they?

Yes, we get paid.  And while it doesn't sound bad to get paid sitting around doing nothing but napping or dicking around on the internet, there comes a point when no matter how much they are paying you for it, you just want to not be at ****ing work anymore.  That point was about 8 months ago. 

Got it. Best of luck then :)

Holy crap-stacks, I just remembered I have an account on here.

What up, everyone?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 06:58:50 pm by That Man »

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Ah so they had you working at IBM, Klaus? :p

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
Are we facebook buds deathfun?

I have absolutely no idea
Probably not?

Friend us on facebook, and I swear to you that you find more than enough assets to help me embaress the ever living **** out of him when it comes to the big day. I'll even pay you. In smarties.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Off to Carlisle tomorrow for reasons. :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
Are we facebook buds deathfun?

I have absolutely no idea
Probably not?

Friend us on facebook, and I swear to you that you find more than enough assets to help me embaress the ever living **** out of him when it comes to the big day. I'll even pay you. In smarties.

Now... to friend you on Facebook...
"No"

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2
Back from Christmas Break, after having a blast with the family, then getting Pneumonia (over it now, but my voice is still weird). Well, at least I got tot the new Godzilla.
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline deathfun

Know what really grinds my gears?
People who in conversation generally only reply with short near one word responses

If you don't want to talk, I can respect that. But when this is basically how you talk with people in general unless there's (for the lack of a better word) drama going on? God damn. This isn't how you have a conversation.

"How's it going?"
"Good, you?" - I hate this. Say something about why it's good, or provide a sort of thing that has happened today. Example follows
"Not too shabby, been sleeping better recently"
"That's good" Don't even bother following up on that? I mean, no curiousity as to why? Just that's good? Moving on? Hell I've given things like "Saw this great movie last night" and the response usually involves "Nice".

I'm not talking about a specific person although one does come to mind. Perhaps they just don't want to talk, but then again in the times they do want to talk it's generally because there's drama going on or a problem which they'll talk all hours of time about. Normal conversation though? They just can't handle it. Talking about ideas? Might last for a moment and it's generally me who strikes up the initial subject.

Glad an old friend of mine has come back from a year long hiatus. We talk till all hours of the night. This friend puts to shame dozens of people I've met. Even if they didn't do much in the day, they don't just say "Not much" and leave it at that. They'll describe at length the day regardless if it's about cleaning the room or doing grocery shopping.

I need to meet more people like that. People who can talk about nothing and make it interesting.

Rant about the art of conversation over. I'll just settle with there's few people who actually are interested in talking with me
"No"

Know what really grinds my gears?
People who in conversation generally only reply with short near one word responses.

"How's it going?"
"Good, you?" - I hate this. Say something about why it's good, or provide a sort of thing that has happened today. Example follows
"Not too shabby, been sleeping better recently"
"That's good" Don't even bother following up on that? I mean, no curiosity as to why? Just that's good? Moving on? Hell I've given things like "Saw this great movie last night" and the response usually involves "Nice".

Wait, I don't remember having a conversation with you...

Srsly tho. Some people are just bad at conversation; I'm one of those people.

A lot of times I simply can't think of anything to say, or if I can think of anything, it will literally be as boring as:
"So I went to work, but I was 5 minutes late like always. But it's cool 'cause nobody cares. Then I clocked in. Then I went and started putting parts away, as that is part of my duties. Then I happened to be outside, so I looked in my truck, and what do you know, some ******* had thrown their trash in the bed AGAIN. I was highly annoyed. So I picked the trash out of the damp truck bed (it rained this weekend), and gingerly carried it inside so I could show my boss when I brought up the grievance later. I don't think he can do anything without knowing who exactly is doing the trashing, but it'll be nice to let him know just in case the ********** is ever caught.

"So then I put some more inventory away, and notice that my deliveries are already staged and ready to load. This has bugged me in the past because I'm a bit of a control freak, but lately I've learned to just roll with it, as it's now policy that I have to. About then the other driver gets there and I'm all like "Good morning!" and then she says "Good morning!" and then she has to go clock in as well. When she gets back out to the warehouse, she inquires what I'm listening to on my earbuds, and I tell her that I listen to a morning radio show. Guess what? She happens to know the hosts of the show from when they were on another station! Crazy, right?"

And this was one of my more eventful mornings, and I bored myself just writing all that.

Me, I just figure that a detailed treatise on how and why my life sucks is not generally what people are looking for when they casually ask, "Hey man!  How's it goin'?"

I mean, really.  99.9¯% of people out there neither need nor want my baggage.  They've got their own.  When I've got some cope and sympathy to spare, I've found the best thing I can do is still to shut my own mouth and listen.

But hey, different strokes, right?  If we were all pathological introverts with social anxiety and a persecution complex, we'd probably have nuked ourselves to kingdom come a dozen times over by now.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline deathfun

And this was one of my more eventful mornings, and I bored myself just writing all that.

Meanwhile I was thoroughly entertained reading it

Maybe I'm just the outlier, the weird one that actually likes to sit and listen to people talk no matter how boring they think it to be for themselves.

Me, I just figure that a detailed treatise on how and why my life sucks is not generally what people are looking for when they casually ask, "Hey man!  How's it goin'?"

That's a fair point.
"No"

Offline InsaneBaron

• In the CR055H41R2

Meanwhile I was thoroughly entertained reading it

Maybe I'm just the outlier, the weird one that actually likes to sit and listen to people talk no matter how boring they think it to be for themselves.

That's a fair point.

I know, right? I'm the kind of guy who wants to tell you what's been happening to me, and hear wwhat's been happening to you, and when people just cut the conversation off I feel stupid, like, "Oh, sorry, was I boring you?"
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move." - Captain America

InsaneBaron's Fun-to-Read Reviews!
Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius - Silent Threat: Reborn - Operation Templar - Sync, Transcend, Windmills - The Antagonist - Inferno, Inferno: Alliance

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Haven't been around much lately, various reasons but a big part of it has been this guys fault:

His name is Chewbacca, and he's nine weeks old. :D
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp