Author Topic: SILENT THREAT: REBORN RELEASED [Updated V1.4]  (Read 451582 times)

Offline TParis

Re: SILENT THREAT: REBORN RELEASED
Thanks, should have figured that out myself.  :rolleyes:

Is it a bug that Silent Threat Reborn with Mediavps_3612 applied in the "mod" line still displays some models as updated and others in its original 1998 boxiness? Does anyone know how to remedy this?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Is it a bug that Silent Threat Reborn with Mediavps_3612 applied in the "mod" line still displays some models as updated and others in its original 1998 boxiness? Does anyone know how to remedy this?

Do you have the FSPort MVPs?

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
Look at the names in the mod.ini

Had the same problem because the fsport_mediavps were written wrong.

Still though the faustus and only the faustus - is retail on my game...
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Do you have the FSPort MVPs?

I'm pretty sure I have all the necessary files; FSPort had all the models updated in the tech room like the Valkyrie and the Athena, but in ST:R, they're the stock models. It's weird; some models are updated like the Apollo, Hercules and the Zeus whereas others are stock.

I updated the mod.ini to reflect the name change in the mediavps folder to mediavps_3612, and this solved my initial problem of all of the models in ST:R not being of the mediavps type, but now, some models haven't been updated at al.  :confused:

I"m actually replaying through STR at the moment.  On the last mission actually.  In beginning I did run into issues with retail models being displayed.  The root of the problem being the mod.ini.  Updating the mod.ini file solved the problem

Here is what my mod.ini looks like for STR.

Code: [Select]
[launcher]
modname      = Silent Threat: Reborn v1.0;
image255x112 = fsport-str.bmp;
infotext     = As the Great War rages on, you've been commissioned by Galactic Terran Intelligence for special intelligence operations.  Your objectives are to contain the Shivan onslaught and preserve the fragile Terran-Vasudan alliance.  But a series of suspicious events cloud the GTI's spotless record.  Is the GTI setting you up or are the Shivans spreading their evil rage?;
website      = http://fsport.hard-light.net/website/str/;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,140.0.html;

[multimod]
primarylist = fsport_mediavps;
secondarylist = fsport,mediavps_3612;

Hope this solves your problem.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 07:22:24 pm by Aurora Paradox »

My mod.ini looks exactly like that too and still some models are stock 1998 stuff. I guess I'll have to write this off as something that's not easily remedied through mod.ini and something underlying within the code for ST:R or something.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
My mod.ini looks exactly like that too and still some models are stock 1998 stuff. I guess I'll have to write this off as something that's not easily remedied through mod.ini and something underlying within the code for ST:R or something.

No, it's incredibly easy to fix. Post a debug log and we can sort it out in a jiffy.

Instructions to generate one in the troubleshooting forum.

Here's my fs2_open.log.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Here's my fs2_open.log.
You don't have the 3.6.10 mediavps installed in the mediavps folder.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Where do I place the mediavps folder exactly and what should the folder be named?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
place in your main freespace 2 directory.
should be called "mediavps"
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Why does STR have models for drone 2, freighter 3 and the faustus in the VP folder?  The legion makes sense but the others don't.  You can't get the HTL version of the faustus to work in fsport_str unless you extract it from the media VPs and put it in the data\ models file inside of silent threat.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Those three models have extra paths that are needed for the ST:R campaign.  The FSPort mediavps have HTL models with these added paths, so if your mod priorities are set up correctly, the pathed HTL models will override the pathed retail ones.

Those three models have extra paths that are needed for the ST:R campaign.  The FSPort mediavps have HTL models with these added paths, so if your mod priorities are set up correctly, the pathed HTL models will override the pathed retail ones.

Quick clarification.  This is the correct mod.ini setup right?

primarylist = fsport_mediavps;
secondarylist = fsport,mediavps_3612;

Just want to make sure I've been getting the best visual experience while playing through STR.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Yes, except that the first underscore should be a dash, e.g. fsport-mediavps.  Also, make sure you have a recent version of the launcher.

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
It will work for everything but the science cruiser.  The science cruiser is only in the media VPs not the FSPort mediavps so even if you have the mod priorities set up correctly you will get the low polly models from the ST:R campaign.  Does the HTL model from the media VPs have the added paths?
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I just downloaded the new version of the port (completely deleting the previous version) and I downloaded silent threat reborn. Right out of the box, every one of the models was retail. Checking the mod.ini file, I found that for some reason they were not pointing to mediavps_3612 or fsport-mediavps (that was STR, the main fsport mod.ini didn't have any multimod section at all).

EDIT: Frak, now the FS1 only models are pure stock. Did I hack the mod.ini wrong?

EDIT2: I am such an idiot.
Yes, except that the first underscore should be a dash, e.g. fsport-mediavps.

For some reason on mine it was an underscore. That was the problem. She's purring with HTL goodness now. :D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 06:32:41 am by Kosh »
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It will work for everything but the science cruiser.  The science cruiser is only in the media VPs not the FSPort mediavps so even if you have the mod priorities set up correctly you will get the low polly models from the ST:R campaign.  Does the HTL model from the media VPs have the added paths?
I seem to recall that something was recently changed in the HTL Faustus, so that could be related to this.  I know that the bog-standard mediaVP HTL model doesn't have the added paths.

For some reason on mine it was an underscore. That was the problem. She's purring with HTL goodness now. :D
Awesome. :)  We'll have to fix the STR mod.ini then.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
The fsport mod.ini had the same problem, the 3.2 version anyway. Wouldn't point to fsport_mediavps or the new mediavps.

[launcher]
modname      = FSPort v3.2;
image255x112 = fsport.bmp;
infotext     = A fourteen-year war between the Terran and Vasudan species leads into something far more sinister.  This is the story of the Great War.;
website      = http://fsport.hard-light.net/;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,39.0.html;
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key