Author Topic: SILENT THREAT: REBORN RELEASED [Updated V1.4]  (Read 451577 times)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Re: SILENT THREAT: REBORN RELEASED
I see now, I noticed it as well but brushed it off as my contacts getting foggy or something or rather

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Just finished the campaign.

Wow! Just Wow. That was amazing! Everything was just so stinking cool. Great work and a huge :yes: to the entire team!

"He who rides the tiger" was probably my favorite, but not by much.

Great campaign, I really enjoy playing it. I can't really remember the retail ST - and so can't compare the two -, but this one is really great. Fun to play, some nice twists and of course

Spoiler:
shivans jumping onto my fighter just like in the old ST extra-movie

On behalf of the team, thanks for the comments. :)

Offline Kolgena

Crazy looking forward to this. However, one thing that's been bothering me is that trying to look at the Karnak in the tech room or in the ships lab crashes my game. I've yet to get to the mission in which the Karnak appears, but I suspect it won't let me play it properly.

I've done exactly what was said in regards to the mod.ini tags, and renamed my folders to underscores.

Edit: Okay, I know what the problem is. I use a Radeon X1600, so the Karnak model breaks my gfx card. I used a -no_glsl tag on the launcher, and could view it fine--the only problem is, only glow map is rendered. I see this cloud of red surrounded by flashing dots. Nothing else is visible.

Is there a fix to this?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 11:47:18 pm by Kolgena »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
...trying to look at the Karnak in the tech room or in the ships lab crashes my game.
Does it actually crash, or does it just freeze for a while?  If it freezes, give it a while (up to 10 minutes, if your computer is slow) to process the model.  After this happens successfully once, it shouldn't happen again.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Why weren't the cache files included with the fsport mediavp?

Offline Kolgena

Depends. By crashed, I mean the thing stopped responding. ctrl-alt-delete "worked", but it was behind Freespace. You couldn't see task manager, but if you moved your mouse over a certain area that was about the size of task manager, you get the normal windows cursor. Of course, you can't actually kill the freespace process in that state.

If that's supposed to be normal, I guess I just need to be much more patient.

By the way, I'm trying the driver hack as we speak. Expect me to come back after a force restart in a while.

Offline Kolgena

That was much less painful than expected.

Are all of the Karnak's textures 100% reliant on shaders? I stuck the older driver in the root, and the effect was exactly the same as if I used no-glsl. I have a floating cloud of red with dots as my Karnak... again.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Just wait.  The game has to generate those cache files at some point, if not now, then when you're loading a mission that uses the model.

And it's not so much a question of the textures relying on shaders (though normal maps specifically do) so much as weather or not glsl is enabled.  Also note that you need to have -normal enabled to see normal maps, and make sure the 3.6.10 mediavps are active, as they contain shader files which are necessary.

Offline Kolgena

I'd try to load the model again with no -no_glsl tag on and no older driver, but I'm not sure if it's worth the risk (it's not the normal map tag that is making the textures invisible. I've left those on for all my trials). I recently corrupted my firefox profile (go figure) on my last force-restart, and then spent an hour or so recovering it.

Were there any other X1600 users that had similar problems to mine? Or rather, is it even something to do with shaders, since normal maps work perfectly fine on every ship except the Karnak?

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
In addition, make sure that your graphics card drivers are up to date. There have been several cases where FS2_Open does not work because the computer's graphics card drivers are outdated.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Kolgena

Yay! I managed to get it to work. Took 2 minutes for the game to unfreeze and the Karnak to show itself in all its glory. I really need to be more patient. Thanks everyone for the tips.

*Off to enjoy the rest of the campaign*

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
I don't know why I didn't mention this before, because in hindsight, it's a pretty obvious problem.  :P

In "Blood of the Innocent", whatever tag is used to create the special interference effect inside the Karnak's reactor chamber doesn't work properly. Your sensors function just fine, and there are no problems acquiring missile lock upon Sneak, despite the need to "target manually".
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hmm.  Are you on the outside of the reactor while Sneak is on the inside?

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I usually get him while he's outside, but I was 100m in once and could target fine.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Antares

As you can see in this screenie, the missile is acquiring aspect lock on Sneak while inside the reactor, despite the display stating that sensors are inoperative; target tracking works just fine in the HUD. Communications are supposed to be out too, so I issued a couple of test orders to my wingmen, and they went through without any trouble ("Affirmative, sir."). It's not that the area of effect isn't big enough, it's that it's not doing what it's supposed to be.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I sense a pre-3.6.10 MediaVP screenshot.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Did you blow up a few seconds later?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

As you can see in this screenie, the missile is acquiring aspect lock on Sneak while inside the reactor, despite the display stating that sensors are inoperative; target tracking works just fine in the HUD. Communications are supposed to be out too, so I issued a couple of test orders to my wingmen, and they went through without any trouble ("Affirmative, sir."). It's not that the area of effect isn't big enough, it's that it's not doing what it's supposed to be.
:wtf: Very strange.

Would you mind Mantising this?

Offline Antares

I don't use MediaVPs.

You don't explode unless you fly through the center of the reactor or Sneak destroys it.

And I don't have a Mantis account.  :P

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Make one. It's not hard.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.